Perfect Picture Book Friday – Cowgirl Rosie And Her Five Baby Bison

Usually when it’s time to pick a Perfect Picture Book for the week, I pop into one of the kids’ rooms, scan the shelves get lost in nostalgia remembering when I used to read all those books to them and almost instantly find a beloved story.

This week, clever lass that I am, I thought to myself, “I’ll go to the library and find something new!

So off I trotted. ย I set myself down in the corner. ย I read picture book after picture book after picture book. ย And none of them were Perfect.

So I came home, popped into one of the kids’ rooms, scanned the shelves, and almost instantly found this VERY beloved story ๐Ÿ™‚ ย Doesn’t that title just already make you want to read it? ๐Ÿ™‚

Cowgirl Rosie And Her Five Baby Bison
Written & Illustrated By: Stephen Gulbis
Little Brown & Co, 2001, Fiction
Suitable For: ages 3-8
Topics/Themes: animals, love, responsibility, right vs. wrong, consequences

Opening: “Cowgirl Rosie lived on a ranch with her five baby bison. ย They were the most handsome babies you ever did see. ย Every day Cowgirl Rosie brushed each glossy black coat and kissed each shiny nose.”

Brief Synopsis: ย Cowgirl Rosie has five handsome baby bison – Bigwig, Bonnie, Beefy, Butch, and Baby B – but those babies are also mischievous! ย They have a way of going thisaway and thataway that leaves their little mistress plumb worn out at day’s end. ย One day they head to town. ย “Stay close,” says Rosie. ย But by the time she reaches her destination all five baby bison are GONE! ย Where could they be? ย And how will she get her beloved babies back? ย It’s not what you think!

Links To Resources: Activities For Cowgirl Rosie, Cowboy And Wild West Page

Why I Like This Book: ย This story has the flavor of a wild west tall tale. ย The art is warm and bright, full of the colors of the desert. ย The baby bison are adorable. ย Though they disappear, they have not actually been disobedient, and Rosie is called on to be brave and resourceful to get her baby bison back. ย The story moves right along and is fun to read aloud, full of western lingo (when the bison disappear the exclamation is “Oh, calamity!” :)) ย The bad guy gets what’s coming to him, and it’s the girl who saves the day ๐Ÿ™‚

For the complete list of books with resources, please visitย Perfect Picture Books.

Now, before you all rush off to read all the other Perfect Picture Books, I have a couple quick things:

First, I want to thank Cally Jackson very much for bestowing The Versatile Blogger Award upon me. ย She also tagged me (as did Cheryl and Corey) in the Lucky 7 Meme, and one of these days maybe I’ll manage to squeeze that in somewhere… but not today!

Second, I’m happy to announce that my little story, Jac And The Beanstalk, (also, coincidentally, about a resourceful girl! :)) is now available from A Story Before Bed!

And third, a World Tour update from Phyllis – she has arrived at Julie’s in Colorado, so we can expect some news from there soon! ย She has left Georgia for New Jersey, so I’m guessing we’ll hear something from those quarters soon as well! ย Sorry to keep you all hanging, but everyone’s pretty busy this month!

PPB bloggers, please add your post-specific links to the list below, and everyone have a GREAT weekend!!! ย ๐Ÿ™‚

58 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Cowgirl Rosie And Her Five Baby Bison

1. Stacy S. Jensen says:

Congrats on Jac and the BeanStalk! I'm curious about why Rosie has five baby bison. The number intrigues me as well as the story. Look forward to hearing more about Phyllis' adventures.

2. Catherine Johnson says:

You must have the best bookshelves around Susanna, what a great pick! Congrats on your story, that's wonderful.

I do have the best bookshelves around… and the best stacks all over the floor ๐Ÿ™‚ We have a LOT of books ๐Ÿ™‚ This one was a huge favorite, especially with my youngest. Thanks for the congrats ๐Ÿ™‚

4. patientdreamer says:

I agree with Catherine, you must have the best book shelf around….lol. This is such a cute story and Rosie is such a cute thing….. would love to read this myself.

5. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

You can tell by the little bison names that this story is cute and adorable. Thanks for sharing.

I'm one of those people who go to the library to find my books for PPBF. My shelves are long ago cleaned right up although I am building an easy reader one for my eight year old grandson. And when he comes to visit, I have a big bunch of Jon Scieszka picture books for him to be read aloud.

6. Stina Lindenblatt says:

Awesome news about your book, Susanna.

Cowgirl Rosie would probably be a big hit where I live during the Calgary Stampede.

I still have to send you the PB title I mentioned. I haven't forgotten. I just have to find the SB order form. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Julie Hedlund says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! Can't wait to read Jac and the Beanstalk! How wonderful

As for Cowgirl Rosie, I hadn't heard of her, but it sounds like the perfect book for my buckaroos! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Robyn Campbell says:

Congrads my fav writer and coonie lovin' pal! YIPPEE!!!!!!!! Ye haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I threw that last one in for Phyll.) She's is going to be a rodeo queen, ya know! I cannot wait to read it. Hmm. Cowgirl Rosie sounds great. But I'm thinkin' a story revolving around Rodeo Queen Phyll!

I'll check out this book. It sounds right up my alley. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Heather says:

Congratulations on Jac and the Beanstalk! I took a quick peek at the preview and it had me chuckling. I've never heard of A Story Before Bed and I'm looking forward to exploring the site.

I think any parent of more than one kid can sympathize with poor Cowboy Rosie's plight!

10. Joanna Marple says:

Congrats on Jac on the Beanstalk, Susanna! Preview looks mighty good.

I would certainly like to read how Calamity Cowgirl Rosie saves her babies!

11. Penny Klostermann says:

I checked out Jac and the Beanstalk on the website. I loved it! I love fractured fairy tales…but somehow I think you knew that from a critique you did for me ๐Ÿ™‚
    The book sounds very good. I wish I could peruse your bookshelves for a day of reading!

Love this book, Susanna! Living in Colorado for the past 15+ years has made me love things with a western flavor even more than before. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I won't be adding a book to today's PPBF…I'm watching my 3 year old grandson in New Hampshire…but I'll try to read everyone else's and leave comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Miranda Paul says:

Great choice – and cute book on A Story Before Bed! I hadn't read this one of yours before. I'll have to check out everyone's PPBF as this friday is reserved as a submission day on the work calendar. Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Tracy Bermeo says:

This looks so adorable, and I'm a sucker for anything having to do with life “out west.” I think in another life I lived there, or maybe in my next life I will….. Phyllis' adventures sound so fabulous! The titles up so far for today look amazing- I've got a lot of reading to do. Happy Friday everyone!

15. Amy Dixon says:

Okay I love all the “B” names. Beefy is my favorite ๐Ÿ™‚ I can just imagine the fun illos!

congratulations on your story! I hadn't heard of Story before Bed, but enjoyed checking it out.

This was written FOR A Story Before Bed – work-for-hire. Good luck with your submissions (although I'm not sure you need it – seems like things have been going pretty well for you in that dept. lately! :))

Thanks, Robyn – my number one fan ๐Ÿ™‚ And I think you'll like Rosie! And I think Phyllis would like to be in a rodeo, but not sure I can sell that idea to HH unless there's weather involved ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Natalie says:

Cowgirl Rosie!!! Oh calamity!!! Why don't I own this??? I love a good tall tale and of course, I love a cowgirl! I think I will be ordering this one, very very soon.

I have never heard of A Story Before Bed, so I am going to pop over there as soon as I leave this comment. Jack and the Beanstalk is one of my middle son's favorite stories–so I'd imagine he'd love your Jac just as much! ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. Myra from GatheringBooks says:

It's always great to visit the library and have stacks of picture books around you. Great choice this week, thank you for sharing this. It's my first time to see this book. Looks cute.