Back in the Old Days
Susanna Leonard Hill grew up in New York City with her mom and dad, one sister and two brothers, and an assortment of cats. She went to the Brearley School for K – 12, then received her B.A. in English and Psychology from Middlebury College. She then went on to get her M.A. and M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology and Special Education of Children With Learning Disabilities from Teacher’s College, Columbia University.
She worked for many years teaching dyslexic students, but stopped after her third child was born. Now she spends her time being a mom, writing, teaching writing, and visiting schools whenever she gets the opportunity.
Becoming a Writer…
Susanna began writing as soon as she could hold a pencil. She used to lie on the kitchen floor and ask her mom how to spell things. She wrote her first book in 2nd Grade. It is called The Girl and The Witch and she will read it to you if she comes to visit your school!
Her first published book was The House That Mack Built, released by Little Simon in 2002.
Since then, she has published ten more books:
- Punxsutawney Phyllis (Holiday House, 2005)
- Taxi! (Little Simon, 2005)
- No Sword Fighting In The House (Holiday House, 2007)
- Not Yet, Rose (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2009)
- Airplane Flight!
- Freight Train Trip! (Little Simon, 2009)
- Can’t Sleep Without Sheep (Walker Books, 2010)
- April Fool, Phyllis! (Holiday House, 2011)
- Beer Is Zo Moe! (Bear Is So Tired!) (Veltman Uitgevers, 2011)
- Jac And The Beanstalk (A Story Before Bed, 2012)
WHEN YOUR LION NEEDS A BATH and WHEN YOUR ELEPHANT HAS THE SNIFFLES, illustrated by Daniel Wiseman, are forthcoming from Little Simon July 11, 2017
THE ROAD THAT TRUCKS BUILT, illustrated by Erica Sirotich, is forthcoming from Little Simon June 6 2017
ALPHABEDTIME!, illustrated by Betsy Snyder, is forthcoming in Spring 2018 from Nancy Paulsen Books, an imprint of Penguin Books!
WHEN YOUR LLAMA NEEDS A HAIRCUT, illustrated by Daniel Wiseman, is forthcoming from Little Simon in Spring 2018!
National Writing Contests Awards
- FirstPlace in the 2005 SouthWest Writer’s Children’s Picture Book Contest
- First Place in the 2005 Seven Hills Contest for
Writers (Children’s Fiction) for 3 stories
- First Place in the 2006
CNW/FFWAFlorida State Writing Competition (Children’s Literature
Division) for The One-Hour Bicycle
- First Place in the 2007 CNW/ FFWA
Florida StateWriting Competition (Children’s Literature Division) for
The Sisters Club
- First Place in the 2007 Seven Hills Contest for Writers
(Children’s Fiction) for Gone Fishin’