Back in the Old Days
Susanna Leonard Hill grew up in New York City with her mom and dad, one sister and two brothers, and an assortment of cats. She went to the Brearley School for K – 12, then received her B.A. in English and Psychology from Middlebury College. She then went on to get her M.A. and M.Ed. in Counseling Psychology and Special Education of Children With Learning Disabilities from Teacher’s College, Columbia University.
She worked for many years teaching dyslexic students, but stopped after her third child was born. Now she spends her time being a mom, writing, teaching writing, and visiting schools whenever she gets the opportunity.
Becoming a Writer…
Susanna began writing as soon as she could hold a pencil. She used to lie on the kitchen floor and ask her mom how to spell things. She wrote her first book in 2nd Grade. It is called The Girl and The Witch and she will read it to you if she comes to visit your school!
Her first published book was The House That Mack Built, released by Little Simon in 2002.
Since then, she has published twenty-five more books including a New York Times Bestseller:
- Punxsutawney Phyllis (Holiday House, 2005)
- Taxi! (Little Simon, 2005)
- No Sword Fighting In The House (Holiday House, 2007)
- Not Yet, Rose (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, 2009)
- Airplane Flight!
- Freight Train Trip! (Little Simon, 2009)
- Can’t Sleep Without Sheep (Walker Books, 2010)
- April Fool, Phyllis! (Holiday House, 2011)
- Beer Is Zo Moe! (Bear Is So Tired!) (Veltman Uitgevers, 2011)
- Jac And The Beanstalk (A Story Before Bed, 2012)
- When Your Lion Needs A Bath (Little Simon, 2017)
- When Your Elephant Has The Sniffles (Little Simon, 2017)
- The Road That Trucks Built (Little Simon, 2017)
- When Your Llama Needs A Haircut (Little Simon, 2018)
- When Your Monkeys Won’t Go To Bed (Little Simon, 2018)
- Miracle On 34th Street (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, 2018)
- Why A Daughter Needs A Mom (Sourcebooks Wonderland, 2019)
- Why A Daughter Needs A Dad (Sourcebooks Wonderland, 2019)
- Moon’s First Friends: One Giant Leap For Friendship (Sourcebooks Jabberwocky 2019) – New York Times Bestseller
- Dear Santa (Sourcebooks Wonderland, 2019)
- Dream with Sesame Street (Sourcebooks Wonderland 2019)
- I Love You To The Moon And Back (Sourcebooks Wonderland 2019)
- Grandma’s Girl (Sourcebooks Wonderland, 2020)
- Mars’ First Friends: Come On Over Rovers! (Sourcebooks Wonderland, June 2020)
- Dear Grandma (Sourcebooks Wonderland 2021)
Other awards include:
– Junior Library Guild Selection
– Amelia Bloomer Feminist Books For Youth
– Book Sense Children’s Pick
– Children’s Book of the Month
– Gold Mom’s Choice Award
– Itabashi Translation Award
– Parents Magazine #1 Board Book of 2017
– CBC Bank Street Best Children’s Book of 2017
– CBC Bank Street Best Children’s Book of 2018
– CYBILS Award Finalist
– Bookroo Book Box Selection
– Publisher’s Weekly Children’s Picture Book Bestseller
– Wallstreet Journal Fiction Bestseller
– New York Times Bestseller
Susanna’s books have been translated into French, Dutch, German, Japanese, and Chinese, with Moon’s First Friends forthcoming in Thai.
ALPHABEDTIME!, illustrated by Betsy Snyder, is forthcoming in Spring 2022 from Nancy Paulsen Books, an imprint of Penguin Books!
A MOTHER’S BLESSING forthcoming from Sourcebooks Wonderland February 2021
WHY A SON NEEDS A MOM illustrated by Gail Yerrill (Sourcebooks Wonderland April 2021)
WHY A SON NEEDS A DAD illustrated by Gail Yerrill (Sourcebooks Wonderland May 2021)