Perfect Picture Book Friday – Chloe

I LOVE school visits.  Almost without fail, someone, at some point, makes me laugh!

Yesterday I visited with about 100 first graders.  They were a lively crew and we had tons of fun.

photo credit Pam Lawrence

Somewhere along in the proceedings, one alert audience member piped up with, “How old are you?” (a favorite question!)  “How old do you think I am?” I asked him.  Now, usually the answer to this question ranges from 20 to I-don’t-know, but this boy tipped his head to one side, considering, and then guessed – I kid you not! – “80?”

So apparently I look nearly twice my actual age 🙂

I think these kids thought 80 was a wild guess too 🙂
photo credit Pam Lawrence

I am so excited to share today’s book with you!  It is by one of my favorite author/illustrators and it was just released on Tuesday so it’s only 4 days old!  (Nowhere near 80 :))

If any of you have had the pleasure of reading Henry In Love, you will recognize young Chloe as the object of Henry’s affection and the recipient of the coveted blueberry muffin 🙂

Chloe
Written & Illustrated By: Peter McCarty
Balzer & Bray, May 15, 2012, Fiction
Suitable For: ages 2-8

Themes/Topics: family, imagination, love

Opening:  “Chloe loved the end of the day, when her whole family was together.  She called it family fun time.

Brief Synopsis:  Chloe has 10 older brothers and sisters and 10 younger brothers and sisters.  She loves being in the middle.  But one night Dad brings home a surprise – a new TV! – and Chloe finds that she is no longer in the middle as everyone gathers around the TV instead.  Luckily it doesn’t take Chloe long to get everyone back on the right track!

Links To Resources:  The Five Best Toys Of All Time (so funny that it’s worth it just to read :)) puts “Box” at number 2.  Give your kids any of the items on this list and watch their imaginations soar as they come up with innumerable ways to play with these simple things.  In this day and age of specialty toys and electronic gadgets, there is nothing better than letting your kids (or students) take a box and turn it into a rocket ship, a castle, or a fort, and themselves into astronauts, princesses, or cowboys!

Why I Like This Book:  First of all, is it even possible to look at this art without feeling happy?  There is such exuberance in these bunnies, each with his or her own special details!  I think it’s something about the ears 🙂  But I also love the story.  I love that the rest of the family initially succumbs to the lure of the new TV, but Chloe and baby Bridget have no use for it.  Instead, they discover the bubble wrap in the box, and pretty soon the other kids are losing interest in the TV and coming over to Pop! Bip! Pap!  Next thing you know, they’ve found an entertaining use for the box, putting on their own TV show.  The message that family fun time can be family fun time without a TV is refreshing 🙂  I won’t give away the very last page, but it’s a hoot and you should get a copy of the book and see it for yourself! 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Before we all head off to read all the other PPBs, I’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the Birthday Contest is just hours away!!!  (I’m feeling a mite panicky, actually, because I don’t yet have a sample entry prepared.  I thought I had an idea, but it didn’t pan out.  In the midst of this hectic week, I haven’t had time to work on a new one, so I’m seriously down to the wire and not hopeful for anything brilliant!)

Anyhoo, even though Saturday is not a usual posting day, please come on over tomorrow to start the Birthday Contest fun.  The link list will be up so that as people’s entries are ready they can put in their post specific links or, if you want to enter and don’t have your own blog, you can copy and paste your entry in the comment section.  That post will stay up until midnight Tuesday night (no new post Monday) so everyone can add their links and come back and read everyone else’s.  It will be a party 🙂  (Just make sure you’re linking on Saturday’s Birthday Contest post.  I don’t want anyone to get confused and link on PPBF – we’ll miss it!)

If you have any questions because I’m not being clear in my current fog of fatigue, please email or ask in the comments! 🙂

PPBF bloggers, please add your post-specific links to today’s link list so we can all come visit!

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow, and starting in on reading what I’m sure will be fantastic contest entries!  Happy Weekend, Everyone!

57 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Chloe

1. This Kid Reviews Bks says:

How about you writing a sample story about you turning 80 hee hee? 😉 I think you misheard him and he said 18!
    I think this book looks really cute! I want to know what happens at the end of the book (don't tell me! I want to get and read the book! 🙂

2. Tina Cho says:

You don't look 80! How funny.
    Chloe does look like a neat book. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, if it ever makes it to the English bookstore here.
    Thanks for sharing!

You're such a charmer – but he definitely did not say 18! 🙂 And a story about me turning 80 might be interesting! You know that saying, a picture is worth a thousand words? That's what's on the last page of the book! I think you will like it!

4. Catherine Johnson says:

Oh they're having a laugh. I love those pictures of your school visits, brilliant!

I love your pick today, I wish I could get Hannah away from screen a bit more. She's into everything, I have to take her to playgroup to get away. I am definitely going to get them making things.
    Thanks for the birthday reminder, I'd hate to forget.
    See you tomorrow then 🙂

I just love that to kids all adults are so old that 80 sounds reasonable 🙂 Screen time is a big issue – source of many arguments and much foot-putting-down around here – but you've got to stand your ground on some things – everyone should get outdoors and do something real every day! 🙂 Can't wait to read your entry! Can't wait to read mine for that matter – I hope I write one 🙂

6. Tracybermeo says:

This sounds like a wonderful book! My kids have had so much fun with things other than the tv, that I really need to check out that list. Just two days ago my 4 year old made a long handle for a pot top with some flattened large air bubble packing things- I don't even know what they are called. I need to check out that Birthday contest- somehow I missed it in the hecticness (I think I'll make that a new word) that has been my life in the last 6 weeks or so. Thanks for the recommendation- I always love your book choices Susanna.

I'm guessing the 80 is in vampire years because that's the only way I can see that applying. Yeah, you can tell I love my paranormal and urban fantasy.

Being a middle child myself, I must say that it's nice seeing this picture book with a joyous middle child. We're usually the brooding ones and I rather like the smiling-happy Chloe seems to show. Also, it's great that TV time can happen but family time and imagination are so much better.

8. Reena Jacobs says:

Congratulations on your book release!

I love how little kids have trouble distinguishing between ages. My son is in preschool and his number knowledge tops in the 20s. Last I asked, he thinks his 70+ year old grandparents are 14 and 26.

9. Stacy S. Jensen says:

Maybe 80 is the new … Oh well. My twin sister told everyone last year she turned 50. “Wow.” They said she looked great for her age. Considering she turned 40. Yeah. She's a trickster. Chloe sounds fun. We'll check that out. Since we'll be busy with birthdays this weekend, I'll most likely post my entry on Monday (unless I get really crazy). I'm probably too close to 80 for that. 🙂

10. Heather says:

Kids are amazing and 80 made me laugh out loud! It reminds me of the time my Ethan told me he loves me because I have a big butt. I have not heard of Peter McCarty before, his work is wonderful! I love the stylized little bunnies. Thank you.

11. Beth Stilborn says:

If you're 80, then that makes me… wait, no, don't tell me. 😉

Your PPB pick sounds delightful, although the size of Chloe's family makes an only child like me boggle just a bit. Love the premise behind the book, and your suggestion of giving kids a box and seeing what they do with it is great.

12. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

If you're 80 then I hate to think about what that makes me. lol.

Thanks so much for sharing your school visits, Susanna, they are precious. I love the photos. I haven't written a story yet either for the birthday fun.

Chloe looks like a great book! 🙂 I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. Thanks for introducing it to us.

13. Kirsten Larson says:

I love how bubble wrap, perhaps a box and some imagination can triumph over technology any day. Hooray for Chloe. (And you don't look 80.)

14. Tracy Campbell says:

Hi Susanna:
    Aren't kids precious. They let you know exactly what they are thinking.

I'm looking forward to submitting my poem tomorrow. But forgive my ignorance, will the “submit your link” be like the one you have up today?

15. patientdreamer says:

Laughed at the 80 comment. I was reading this at the same time online chatting so told a friend “boy if they think you are 80 I would hate to think what age I am”…lol.
    Loved your book choice Susanna, your reviews are always so joyful and fun to read and makes one want to rush out and buy it. Have sent my link to you.

16. Jarmila V. Del Boccio says:

80, huh? Kids say the funniest things, as you have observed, Susanna! My fondest memories of teaching kindergarten were all those clever and hysterical comments they would make.
    What an adorable picture book! I love the illustrations, and the storyline is one that should be repeated in numerous ways. Your link to the 5 best toys made it apparent where the real fun is to be found. I'm joining a reading challenge, so I'd like to begin with Chloe…and maybe begin a PPBF post of my own. I'll do some research on your side link for more info. Thanks for this, Susanna!

17. Penny Klostermann says:

This book goes on my list immediately. It sounds so fun! You are right about the artwork…an immediate hook.
    Kids do say the funniest things! Love the photo. The girl with her hands on her hips is just great….like “Really? You're guessing she's 80? Come on, Dude!”

18. Laura Marcella says:

LOVE this premise! I grew up in a household in which we didn't watch television. We made real family memories by playing board games and using our imaginations! I think my sister and brothers will appreciate this book just as much as their kids will. Thanks for the recommendation, Susanna!

Oops…sorry Susanna…I put my link in twice. 😦 Did it once, waited a few minutes and refreshed the page and didn't see it…so I did it again.
    Love the photos of your school visit…our school district here is ultra sensitive about kids faces appearing in photos that might end up on the internet…not like their parents don't post zillions of pics to Facebook, etc. 🙂
    Chloe sounds like a great book!
    I'm excited about the “Unique Birthday Celebration” Contest…you rock!!!! Even at 80…just make sure you don't trip over your walker. 🙂

No problem, Vivian, I already took off your extra link. Most of the school districts around here have media release forms and the kids who are photographed have permission, but in addition, I didn't say where I went or what school/town/state – so I would hope there wouldn't be an issue. I hope you're going to enter the contest! and I will try very hard not to trip over my walker 🙂

So glad you like it, Laura! We grew up like you did, and have tried to do the same with our kids – although it's a real challenge with the amount of screen-oriented activity available these days!

Oh, yes, Jarm! Definitely join us! All the info on format is at the very bottom of the PPB tab, and the alphabetical list is the easiest way to check on what's been done already… although I keep forgetting to add the books I do! Better get to that… 🙂

You're too kind 🙂 I love Henry In Love! There a picture at the beginning that you're really going to get a laugh out of. And I love the idea that sharing a blueberry muffin is an ardent expression of love when you're a kid 🙂

24. Joanna Marple says:

I love hot of the press reviews and Chloe sounds super and I so love Peter McCarty's illustrations! I bet you rock those school visits. I am at an SCBWI retreat this weekend so may struggle to get around to commenting until next week.

I know – my kids were always more entertained by the packaging than the gift 🙂 It HAS been a hectic spring, with no sign of getting any less hectic, but I hope you'll enter the contest! 🙂

I know! It's like when I mourn my girlish figure and my daughter says, “But you have an excuse, Mom, you had kids” – not, “But Mom, you're skinny!” 🙂 Well. I didn't raise her to lie 🙂 I'm a big fan of Peter McCarty – Jeremy Draws A Monster and The Monster Returns are already on the PPB list, and Henry In Love only isn't there because I haven't gotten around to it yet 🙂

I think you'll like Chloe, Clar. And good luck with your entry! At least you have until midnight Tuesday – mine has to go up with tomorrow's post. I surely do wonder what it's going to be! Not good – that I know given how down to the wire I am 🙂

Yes it will, Tracy – exactly like. If you have any trouble, let me know and I can help. There are 3 people who have trouble with the PPBF link every week for no apparent reason… Looking forward to your entry!

Tracy Campbell wrote, in response to Susanna Leonard Hill:

Hi Susanna:
    Aren't kids precious. They let you know exactly what they are thinking.

User's profile
    Link to comment

29. Tiltonph says:

Chloe sounds like a wonderful story. Absolutely love the message of the book. Agree, it is refreshing. Every parent should own this book. Nice activites.

Love the pictures of you school visits. You really look like you enjoy them. Was gone most of today and tomorrow. Then leave for a wedding and vacation in Florida. I know — someone has to go. So you won't see a lot of me. I have scheduled my posts.

30. Heather says:

Well, I guess it's good to know your daughter was listening when you were talking to her about telling lies 😉