Perfect Picture Book Friday – Step Gently Out AND Virtual Conference Info!

Wow!  Between the Holiday Contest and the holidays themselves, I’ve missed a few PPBFs!  I’m excited to show you today’s book, though.  I hope you’ll love it!  And I think it fits very nicely with the idea of the beginning of the new year – the concept of stepping out and looking closely at what’s around you 🙂

Step Gently Out
Written By: Helen Frost
Photography By: Rick Lieder
Candlewick, March 2012, Fiction

Themes/Topics: nature, insects, taking time to look closely, poetry

Suitable For: ages 2-7

Opening: “Step gently out,/ be still, and watch a single blade of grass.

Brief Synopsis: (From the Booklist starred review) “Nature’s miracles are often small and hard to capture, but in a syncopated harmony of text and image, Frost and Lieder manage to depict tiny moments as seen through a bugs-eye-view of the world… Moving from day to night, the poem makes for a soothing bedtime lullaby that includes a reminder to children about the book’s small creatures: “In song and dance / and stillness, / they share the world / with you.”

Links To Resources: the back of the book includes lots of information on all the insects pictured – a resource all in itself.  In addition, here are some Insect Coloring Pages.  Try taking some photographs of your own.  Try writing a short poem about an insect.

Why I Like This Book:  I am always in favor of books that encourage kids to go outside and look closely at the real world around them, really observe it, think about it, be part of it.  I’m not an insect lover per se :), but this book is amazingly beautiful.  I cannot stress enough how absolutely exquisite the photography is.  Such detail!  Here’s another little sample:

It’s breathtaking, isn’t it? and I think kids and adults alike will thoroughly enjoy looking at it, especially in combination with the poetic text which is as gorgeous in it’s imagery as the photography is.  This book is a feast for eyes and ears and hearts!

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Before we all run off for to read everyone’s book choices for today and then head out for our weekends, I’d just like to thank everyone who took the time to visit Donna’s blog Wednesday for my guest post, and also tell you a little more about something I might be able to offer you.

Patricia Morrison, who is a creativity coach (as well as a singer/songwriter) is starting a new website/blog called InnerFireOuterLight and she has put together a virtual conference for next week, January 8th – 11th entitled Take Your Talent To The Bank: Go From Starving Artist To Creative Rock Star.

Here’s a little blurb Patricia prepared to give you an idea what it’s all about:

The Take Your Talent To The Bank Virtual Conference in just one week away, on January 8th-11th!

You can attend the entire power-packed conference with EIGHT brilliant and successful creatives from the comfort of your home, for FREE!

This [FREE] virtual conference is designed for brilliant, creative professionals and those who just might be ready to take a leap into sharing their creative voices and gifts in a bigger way.  Successful creatives who have been where you are share their struggles, tips, tricks and strategies for taking your talent to the bank and going from starving artist to creative rock star!

You’ll hear from:

• An internationally touring performer, playwright, screenwriter & more
  • A best-selling author & photographer
  • An acclaimed children’s picture book author of nearly a dozen books (you might recognize this one :))
  • A top 5% earning actor with NY & LA careers
  • A multi-6-figure creative business coach & actor
  • A celebrated visionary fiber artist and painter, author, editor & more
  • One of the most sought after Marilyn Tribute artists in the world today
AND MORE
Ready to escape the starving artist mentality (and reality) and get the recognition, fans, and income you deserve?
Share your creative gifts with a world hungry for vision, beauty and meaning AND make a grown-up living!
Looking forward to having you join us!

Okay, well the blurb was longer than that but I think that’s enough to give you the general idea and the link to sign up! 🙂  And I’ll save you the clicking for the time of my interview which is on Friday January 11th at 11 AM PST/2 PM EST.  I will likely sound like a somewhat confused and very frightened guinea pig since public speaking of any kind to grown-ups is not my forte, but one can hope for the best 🙂

Please feel free to share the word to anyone you think might be interested!  And if you have any questions about it, ask away in the comments… I may or may not be able to answer 🙂

And now, enjoy all the PPBs and have a wonderful weekend!  PPBF bloggers, please leave your post-specific links in the list below!

39 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Step Gently Out AND Virtual Conference Info!

1. Iza Trapani says:

I love nature books and the photography is stunning! I will have to get a copy. Well, unless there are close-ups of spiders- then I might be too scared 🙂 Congrats on your virtual conference!

2. Tina Cho says:

Beautiful book! This is neat you're part of the conference. Do you know if it is live, or is it something we can be a part of in our own time?

3. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

Thanks so much for this opportunity to join in the conference. It sounds great.

Your book sounds lovely, too. I Love the cover and if that's an indication of the insides it is a must read. Yes, it does seem perfect to start the new year out. 🙂

4. Kirsten Larson says:

I love those images! My pick for this week is illustrated with photgraphs as well, and I love how they show children the magic, wonder and beauty of nature.

5. pennyklostermann says:

Love the sound of this book. And you're right…the photography looks breathtaking.

Thanks for the info on the virtual conference!

6. Patricia Tilton says:

Sounds like a beautiful and quiet book to relish reading with children.
    The photography is so beautiful! A lot of kids are fascinated with insects.

7. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Your pick for today is one of the few delicate gems to showcase the natural world in a long, long time! Great choice!

Glad you liked the book, Penny! And I'm not sure how the conference will turn out – it seems like the focus is a little more on money and success than I normally ascribe to, but I think it will be very interesting, and I'm hoping to be able to hear the other participants and learn something!!!

The inside of the book is even MORE beautiful! You have to see it! And you're welcome about the conference! Please come on over and check it out if you have the time and interest. I don't really know how it will be, but I think it will be interesting, an given that it's free there's no harm in checking it out 🙂

Glad you like the book, Tina! And I believe the conference is live, but also saved, so you can listen on your own time. But if you want to be able to ask questions, you'd have to be on for the live part.

There's an orb-weaving spider, but the web is so gorgeous you might not even notice the spider 🙂 It's not scary 🙂 Thanks for the congrats… it's kind of a different thing for me – not so kidlit oriented – but interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing what the other participants have to share.

12. Tracy Campbell says:

“Step Gently Out” is a book I'd like to read and one a child would love.
    With my new tablet, I was able to take screen shots of the book and the coloring pages site which I can refer to often.
    I also popped on over to Patricia's new blog. I hope you'll send out a reminder about your interview on the 11th! 🙂
    Have a happy weekend!

You're new tablet sounds awesome!! I'm so happy you're able to comment again – I felt so bad about you always being on the sidelines! And I'm glad you like the book – it is really a lovely one 🙂 I'll try to remember to remind you… I'm supposed to be doing my part to spread the word and drum up participants… but that is not my strong suit 🙂

14. Genevieve says:

I for one, LOVE the idea of seeing the bugs-eye-view of things. I've wondered what things look like to a spider right before I CRUSH him! 🙂

15. Kimberley says:

I have to get this book. My OLW is listen and this ties right in. My children are watchers who quietly observe the world (they really are mine, but?). I want to learn to be this way. Thanks for sharing.

16. Sylvia Liu says:

Thanks, Susannah, for the recommendation. Sounds like a great book. I'm also going to try to listen in on the interview.

I'm glad you like the book, Sylvia! And I'm curious to see how this conference turns out! I don't really know what to expect – it may be a little new-age 🙂 or possibly a little more focused on money than I normally am (though neither of those things are bad!) but I think there will be a lot to learn, and it's free 🙂