Monday Short And Sweet Plus

Happy first day of the week in which Groundhog Day finally occurs!!!

Phyllis is hopping up and down with excitement!  (And I’m sure that has nothing to do with the WHOPPING pile of strawberry pancakes she consumed for breakfast… with about a gallon of strawberry syrup :))

I hope everyone is keeping in mind Phyllis’s Fun Photo Contest (full description HERE) in which you can make your own Phyllis action figure and photograph her predicting spring in your neck of the woods on Groundhog Day.  Which is THIS SATURDAY!!!

Phyllis is hoping lots of people will join in the fun 🙂

badge created by Loni Edwards

Now then.  It’s Short & Sweet day!  Here’s what we’re going to do… 🙂

On the honor system (that means no peeking :)) pick a number between 1 and 10.

Then pick a letter: A, B or C

Then pick another letter: D, E or F.

Got ’em?  You should have a combination like 3 B D or 6 A F or whatever.

Okay!  The number between 1 and 10 gets you an opening sentence of a published picture book (except I’m not identifying it because I don’t want to prejudice your creativity by suggesting the actual story, and I may have changed a detail or two to make the openings less recognizable.)

Letter A, B, or C will fill in your first blank.

Letter D, E, or F will fill in your second blank.

And voila – you have a first sentence story prompt!  Please write in the comments what your opening sentence turns out to be, and then add a second sentence to continue the story.  (And a third if you’re feeling very inspired :))  Hopefully we will end up with a large number of first sentence story starters!

First, here are your options:

1. It was way past bedtime, but ________________ wasn’t tired.  Neither was Opie.  The moon was keeping them awake.  It was shining on the shelf where (name you chose)’s brand-new__________________ had been put away for the night.
A. Sarah
B. Lionel
C. Rover
D. baseball
E. flashlight
F. supersonic top

2. _________________ doesn’t have a bed.  Actually, s/he doesn’t have a home.  This is A-OK most of the time, but not when s/he is desperately in need of a ________________________.
A. Skippy
B. Josh
C. Violet
D. bath
E. nap
F. snack

3. In the back of _____________________’s truck sat a little white _________________ nobody wanted.
A. Farmer Joe
B. Mrs. Peabody
C. Officer Brown
D. duck
E. soccer ball
F. box

4. Once upon a time there lived a very lazy _____________________ who had lots of money and lots of land.  His father had been a hard worker and a smart businessman, and he had given all of his wealth to his son.  But all (character you chose) wanted to do was ____________________.
A. rabbit
B. farmer
C. florist
D. play basketball
E. drive a race car
F. explore the jungle

5. On Thursday, when ____________________ woke up, she found s/he had grown ______________.
A. Jessica
B. Kyle
C. Taffy
D. a tail
E. a foot taller
F. wings

6. Nearly a lifetime had passed, but ______________________ could still remember what it felt like to wake up in the ______________________________, especially during wintertime.
A. Finn
B. Jane
C. Carter
D. forest
E. little house
F. cave

7. ________________________ lived by him/herself at the ________________________.  Each day s/he followed a tight schedule.
A. Flopsy Bunny
B. Gilda
C. Wilson
D. firehouse
E. playground
F. ranch

8.  This is ___________________________.  S/he isn’t very good at ________________________.  Video games were never her/his thing.  And when s/he took dance lessons, s/he had the grace of a camel on roller-skates.
A. Luigi
B. Carla
C. Cinnamon
D. knitting
E. playing trombone
F. horseback riding

9. _______________________ stared out the window toward the _____________________ and quivered.
A. Saucy
B. Olivia
C. Taylor
D. ocean
E. big city
F. volcano

10. One beautiful day __________________________ was up in his/her room.  (Name you chose) didn’t like to be disturbed when s/he was ________________________.
A. Ursula
B. Froggy
C. Cleo
D. painting
E. singing
F. playing dress-up

And now, here’s an example 🙂

I chose 8 B F which gives me:

This is Carla.  She isn’t very good at horseback riding.  Video games were never her thing.  And when she took dance lessons she had the grace of a camel on roller skates.
(To which I add)
“I’ll never be good at anything,” Carla said sadly.
“Of course you will,” said her mother, putting a bandaid on Carla’s skinned knee.  “You just have to find out what your talent is.  What do you like to do?”

See how it works?  Yay!  Now you try! 🙂

Have a happy Monday everyone! 🙂

45 thoughts on “Monday Short And Sweet Plus

I'll have to come back to see if I can hop in the Short & Sweet. But I'm excited Groundhog day is just around the corner. Wonder what news Phyllis will have for us?

2. Joanna Marple says:

3CD In the back of Officer Brown's truck sat a little white duck nobody wanted. Officer Brown tooted his horn as he entered the Refuge for Unwanted, Lost and Abandoned Animals. “Good luck, little duck,” he whispered, “RULA finds homes for nearly all its animals.”

3. This Kid Reviews Bks says:

OK:
    6BE
    Nearly a lifetime had passed, but Jane could still remember what it felt like to wake up in the little house underwater, especially during wintertime.
    (I added the underwater part to make it more interesting)

I can't wait for groundhog day!

4. Kim MacPherson says:

I probably went a little overboard. And this is probably YA, not PB!
    ————————
    Nearly a lifetime had passed, but Carter could still remember what it felt like to wake up in the cave, especially during wintertime. His body shivered at the thought of the cold, damp floor where he’d sleep huddled next to Mama and Brynn.

Sleep came easily to him then—most days were filled with running after wild boar and antelope, spears in hand. Those were the good days, anyway. Carter remembered all too well the other days—the
    days when the sun never came out and the air smelled sharply of smoke and ozone. It was during those dark hours that Carter
    and his family were the hunted ones. And sleep wasn’t an option.

5. delores @ thefeatherednest says:

7/C/E
    Gilda lived by herself at the ranch. Each day she followed a tight schedule. There were zebras to brush and camels to water. Oh my, could those camels drink water.

6. Jarmila V. Del Boccio says:

Flopsy Bunny lived by herself at the playground. Each day, she followed a tight schedule: wake up, munch on a root or two, and finally tidy her rabbit hole. Then she would venture forth into the world of humans…

7. Cheryl Secomb says:

These are always so fun! Okay, here goes.

In the back of Officer Brown's truck sat a little white box nobody wanted. His old truck rattled down the street. With each bump, the box slid closer and closer to the open tailgate. Officer Brown swerved around a pot hole and Thump! The little box tumbled to the side of the road. When Charlie stepped off the school bus, he spotted the box and picked it up. Charlie dreamed of soaring through space one day. Maybe this little box fell out of the sky! he thought.

8. Cheryl Secomb says:

Thank you, Susanna! These prompts are great. Now I want to finish the story and find out what's in the box, too. 🙂

🙂

Cheryl Secomb (unregistered) wrote, in response to Susanna Leonard Hill:

Link to comment
    IP address: 98.246.115.165

Great prompt, Susanna!

In the back of Officer Brown's truck sat a little white box nobody wanted.

“Hey Mike” shouted Officer Brown, his voice barely audible over the sound of the powerful hoses. “Make sure you vacuum the seats and floor while you're at it.”

“Sure thing” replied the car wash attendant as he opened the back door. “What do you want me to do with this little white box?”

“Just dump it…I don't want it!” said the policeman. “It's not good for anything.”

“I don't know about that” mused Mike. “A little white box like this could be used for many things.”

After I wrote that, I had another idea:

In the back of Officer Brown's truck sat a little white box nobody wanted.

Huddled next to it, trembling with fear, was 5-year-old Maria. “Don't worry, sweetheart” soothed Officer Brown's side-kick, Detective Joan. “The ambulance is taking your momma to the hospital. The doctors will help her get better.

Hesitantly, Maria reached over and touched the box with her shaking fingers. “This looks like a magic box” she thought. “Maybe it is filled with wishes.” Maria closed her eyes and gently rubbed the shiny white surface. “Please make my momma be well.”

11. Robyn Campbell says:

I wanted the one with horseback riding. 😦 *FROWNY FACE*

Here's mine:
    9AD
    Saucy stared out the window toward the ocean and quivered. She'd never learned how to swim. Now the entire class would see her thrashing about for dear life. Thoughts of red cheeks floated through Saucy's mind.

“Come on Saucy! It's time to go in the water,” Sarah said, jumping up and down.

This is a great beginning, Robyn! How will Saucy overcome her fear of swimming? Or will she find a way to cleverly side-step it? Keep writing…! 🙂 P.S. You can choose the horseback riding one if you want! The randomness factor was to make it easier for people who have trouble choosing. Go for it. I'll be waiting 🙂

13. Patricia Tilton says:

2BE Josh doesn't have a bed. Actually, he doesn't have a home. This is A-OK
    most of the time, but not when he is desperately in need of a nap. Sometimes he catches a few winks when he hops onto trains and rides the rails west. Yep, he's headed to those gold fields to strike it it rich. Maybe then his father will show him some respect.

14. Cheryl Secomb says:

Thank you, Pam! I'm doing 12 X 12 this year for the first time. These prompts are a great way to get ideas started. See you in class soon! 🙂

15. Lauri Meyers says:

I also picked 8BF which obviously means I'm psychic. And I see that you read a book today. Am I right?! Ooh, spooky…

This is Carla. She isn't very good at horseback riding. Video games were never her thing. And when she took dance lessons, she had the grace of a camel on roller-skates. But in the kitchen, she smoothly slides from the sink to the stove like a ballerina. She researches recipes with amazing speed on her iPad. And she can carrol a mess of carrots, celery and potatoes into a stew faster than you can say “giddyup.”

16. Pamela Courtney says:

I'm
    posting here again. I thought I left this post at 12:30a, but my
    internet went away and I guess my pb masterpiece of all time was not
    meant for this moment. Such a shame. It was truly Brilliant! Now you
    only have what I can remember:

– B – F: Gilda lived by herself at the ranch. Each day she followed a
    tight schedule. The ranch had long been abandoned. Still, Gilda had
    responsibilities.

As
    the sun peeked its head above the tall Elm, Gilda trotted down the
    thick grassy path to her pond. With a hopeful heart, she lowered her
    head toward the dimpling waters, and whispered. “Soon, my boy will
    return and I’ll be waiting.”

The
    ripples gently smiled their reply. Gilda neighed and stomped her hoof
    in gratitude. On cue, Papa Perch and his school of fry sprang up,
    through the shimmering, folding curls and sprayed a watery hello to
    Gilda. Mother Mallard and her ducklings quacked their salutations. The
    sparrow sisters trilled their merry greeting. Yes, Gilda's friendly
    whiny was the perfect wake up call. It was the start of a brand new
    day.

Hmmm….this doesn't present much of schedule. I'll have to work some more on this.

POSTED FOR VICTORIA

8AF

This is Luigi. He isn't very good at horseback riding. Video games were never his thing. And when he took dance lessons, he had the grace of a camel on roller-skates. Coordination just wasn't his strong suit — at least not on land. If only the boys at school could see him in the lake behind Nonna's cottage, they wouldn't be laughing anymore.

18. Victoria Warneck says:

It worked! Still on iPad…but clicked the link on the bottom to view the full web site (it defaults to a mobile site).

Oh YAY! So glad you figured it out and it's working. I'll have to remember this to suggest as a fix to others who have trouble posting! Thanks!

Victoria Warneck wrote, in response to Victoria Warneck:

Link to comment
    IP address: 96.237.106.156

20. pennyklostermann says:

7BD Gilda lived by herself at the firehouse. Each day she followed a tight schedule. She was up at 6:00 and sliding down the pole by 6:05. One minute later, was out the door and bouncing through the forest in her firetruck-turned-witch mobile.