Perfect Picture Book Friday – Whose Mouse Is This?

You are going to fall over in amazement at how brief I am today!

The reason is because tomorrow is GROUNDHOG DAY!!! (sorry – it’s so hard to say that quietly! :)) and Phyllis and I will be having a special post, so since we’re asking you to read and participate on an extra day, I’m trying not to talk too much today ๐Ÿ™‚ ย Maybe we’ll take Monday off to give you a break. ย Feel free to vote in the comments ๐Ÿ™‚ ย (If you want to read about the contest so you can join in, go HERE.) ย (And if you want to participate but don’t have a blog you can email me your photo and caption and I’ll add it into my post for you! :))

Oh, but I just have one more thing – ย Today is the first official day of Making Picture Book Magic! ย Woo-hoo!!!

Okay. ย That’s all. ย Really ๐Ÿ™‚

Here’s today’s Perfect Picture Book.

Whose Mouse Are You?
Written By: Robert Kraus
Illustrated By: Jose Aruego
Simon & Schuster, 1970, Fiction

Suitable For: ages 3-7

Themes/Topics: new baby/new sibling, feeling unnoticed

Opening: “Whose mouse are you?”
“Nobody’s mouse.”
“Where is your mother?”
“Inside the cat”
“Where is your father?”
“Caught in a trap.”

Brief Synopsis: a young mouse (whom we may assume is feeling a little unimportant due to the impending arrival of a new sibling) transforms himself into a beloved family hero.

Links To Resources: activities for Whose Mouse Are You?, make your own Whose Mouse story, discussion for Whose Mouse

Why I Like This Book: So simple. ย So charming. ย So spot on. ย Hasn’t every child, waiting for a new sibling, wondered about his importance? ย And what a delightful way to show the emotion – by transforming himself into a hero, bringing his family together in time to welcome the new baby. ย One of the reasons I love this book so much is because, from a writer’s perspective, it is done so well. ย A meaningful story with emotional resonance is told in only 105 words!

For the complete list of books with resources, please visitย Perfect Picture Books.

So now, if you haven’t made your Phyllis action figure, there’s no time like the present ๐Ÿ™‚ ย You’ve still got plenty of time to gear up for the contest tomorrow!

PPBF bloggers, please leave your post-specific link on the list below so we can all come see what treasures you’ve selected for us this week!

Have a great weekend, everyone! ย And if I don’t see you tomorrow, Happy Groundhog Day! ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. ย On our school visit yesterday, Phyllis was identified as a raccoon, a beaver, a hedgehog, and a BEAR before we finally got around to groundhog ๐Ÿ™‚ ย I’m hoping to have pictures at some point ๐Ÿ™‚ ย AND, the kids made her a new crown for her collection! ย Her only regret is that she can only wear one at a time ๐Ÿ™‚

28 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Whose Mouse Is This?

1. patientdreamer says:

I love your cute little mouse story, Susanna. Wow told in only 105 words. It's nice being able to comment here again.
    Hey Susanna, I hope you won't mind if I can't attend groundhog day events… I am so busy getting ready for my trip, only 8 more days, and I have little time to get organised. Will be thinking of you and Phyllis and hope to pop on to see what everyone is up to at some stage. Happy Groundhog day tomorrow!

2. Stacy S. Jensen says:

What a classic story. Have a wonderful Groundhog day! Phyllis would likely be called a beaver at my house. Many things are at this point. Have a wonderful weekend.

Glad you like the book, Diane, and REALLY glad you're able to comment again! ๐Ÿ™‚ Phyllis is sad that she won't get to predict something in NZ, but she understands ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have a GREAT trip! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

This book sounds ideal for new siblings and will prove to make any of them feel better about having that new baby sister or brother. I love that it is only 105 words! Each word must definitely count here.

I'll try and come back and join in the contest, Susanne but I haven't done my online course's homework for Wed or today and think I may have to pass although it sounds like so much fun. If nothing else I'll come back here and see who played.

I'm having scrambled eggs this morning and no chocolate either. If I can do it so can you. (but don't try if it hurts too bad. lol )

It is s cute book, and I admire anyone who can tell a good story in so few words! Perhaps, while you're doing your assignment, you will need a coloring break ๐Ÿ™‚ And scrambled eggs without chocolate? Clar, you are a monument of will power! ๐Ÿ™‚

Love the rhyme, Susanna…it sounds like a book every young child would love.:) Best of luck with your class…your students are fortunate to have you as a mentor, teacher and guide.:) I'm looking forward to Groundhog Day…wonder if my Phyllis will see her shadow???

7. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

I wonder what Aruego is up to – I've always loved his illustrations, so simple, but they ad SO much! Will be looking for this mouse tail!

Thanks, Vivian ๐Ÿ™‚ Phyllis and I are looking forward to Groundhog Day too! Phyllis is planning a parade in her own honor ๐Ÿ™‚ But I have a bad feeling there may be shadows in the forecast… We shall see…!

Ha ha, you punster ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't know what he's up to – this book is OLD – almost as old as me – you know, old as the Hills? I love the mouse's big ears – they remind me of my Jem dog who has disproportionately large ears ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Just trying to have a little pun! I did find your pick in my library catalog and I have it on hold now. Will you share a pic of Jem, or is he out doing a photo-shoot for your next PB?

I'll email you one ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm not sure I have any really good ones that do complete justice to the size of her ears, but I'll try ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie Rowan-Zoch (unregistered) wrote, in response to Susanna Leonard Hill:

Link to comment
    IP address: 174.29.147.59

12. Patricia Tilton says:

What a very delightful book for children expecting a new sibling. It is presented in a very unusual way. Love it.