Perfect Picture Book Friday – Little Boo

Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, Everyone!

Now that it’s October, it’s fair to start sharing Halloween picture books, right?

I’m glad you agree πŸ™‚

Here’s a pretty new one, just published this August.

Title: Little Boo
Written By: Stephen Wunderli
Illustrated By: Tim Zeltner
Henry Holt & Company, August 2014, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 3-7

Themes/Topics: Holidays (Halloween), Emotion (patience/impatience), Nature (lifecycle of a seed), Common Childhood Experiences (wanting to be bigger/older)

Opening: “The wind blew, the leaves fell, and a tiny seed hid in the garden.
“Boo,” the seed said to a leaf rolling by.
“You’re not scary at all,” the leaf said.

Brief Synopsis: A little pumpkin seed tries hard to be scary but he just can’t seem to scare anyone – not the leaves or the grubs, not the snowflakes in winter or the bees in spring! Β “Be patient,” the wind tells him, “you’ll be scary soon enough.” Β But it’s awfully hard to wait!

Links To Resources: plant a seed and watch it grow – indoors in a container or outdoors in a garden; 40 Things For Kids To Do With Pumpkins; 9 Easy Pumpkin Recipes For Kids

Why I Like This Book: Β It’s just so cute! Β Look at that little pumpkin seed face – how can you not love it?! πŸ™‚ Β The story is simple but so relatable for kids who always seem to want to grow up faster than nature allows. Β And within the sweet story we also get a nice little glimpse of the life cycle of a seed – so cleverly slipped in there! Β To top it off, the art is absolutely gorgeous – Β colorful and warm and so appealing! Β This is a wonderful one to add to your Halloween book shelf πŸ™‚

For the complete list of books with resources, please visitΒ Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF bloggers please be sure to leave your post-specific link in the list below so we can all come visit you!

And although I haven’t been posting on Mondays, be sure to visit this coming Monday for an important announcement!

Have a great weekend, everybody!!! πŸ™‚

43 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Little Boo

1. :Donna Marie says:

How adorable is a book with a pumpkin seed! πŸ™‚ The illustrations look gorgeous, too! I used to love eating pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I miss them, actually. Developed some sort of allergy. Oh, well : / So glad I can enjoy THIS little pumpkin seed! Thanks, Susanna πŸ™‚

2. Clarbojahn says:

Aaww! So sweet! I want to read this one. I can't believe it's Halloween time already. Where did the time go?

What do you have up your sleeve for Monday, Susanna? Huh? Huh? πŸ™‚

3. Stacy S. Jensen says:

A pumpkin seed! That's brilliant and sounds super cute. My library list is going to stack up again. I've made two trips to the library this week grabbing the past two weeks PPFB. Enzo and I have been very happy with the selections. Lots of fun 2014 books.

4. Teresa Robeson says:

You're right: it *is* too cute, Susanna! Just looking at its little face cracks me up. πŸ™‚

Now that my kids are pretty much grown, Halloween has not much meaning for me, but I still enjoy Halloween books.

Happy Friday and enjoy your weekend!

5. Joanne Sher says:

I just wanna pinch that seed's cheeks! Such a cutiepie – and yes, with a fabulous message. Thanks so much for this one, Susanna!

Great book to start off the pumpkin season, Susanna…we'll have to make a bunch of the pumpkin whoopie pies from the recipe Tara Lazar gave us last week! Little Boo looks like lots of fun. πŸ™‚

7. JillSF1959 says:

Brilliant idea! I love the “multipurpose” aspect of this book. Education in a fun, not-the-sole-purpose-of-the-book kind of way. And I'm very drawn to Zeltner's illustrations. The color palette, the expressions, the Swirliness of the sky. Beautiful!

8. Rhythm says:

Aaahhh! I'm looking for some new Halloween books to add to my bag! This one looks perfect! A scary seed, indeed! I like to just eat pumpkins myself!

9. This_Kid_Reviews_Books_Erik says:

Great PPBF pick! I love the cover! πŸ˜€
    Do you have a Hare-Brained Scheme in the works? Is that what Monday's post is about? πŸ˜‰

Little Boo is absolutely adorable. And oh, if only the little ones knew how lucky they are to be young. Patience is still a virtue I find myself struggling with even now as a grown up with my own little one…who's not so little anymore lol!!