Would You Read It Wednesday – Topsy Turvy Fun And Games!

Good Morning Everyone!

You will never guess what happened!

The person who was scheduled to pitch today, well, uh… she never showed up!!!

I realized yesterday morning that she’d scheduled a date but never sent her pitch.  I emailed her immediately, but though I waited very patiently for about 16 hours I sadly got no reply.

“Whatever shall I do?” quoth I.  “I have no pitch for tomorrow!”

Not wanting to disappoint you, and being full of hare-brained ideas incredibly resourceful I thought, why not play a Would You Read It game?

So I thought one up on the spot! 🙂

First, I will fortify you with Something Chocolate to gear you up mentally!  It would not be fair to drag you into a game without a little sustenance!  (Besides, it wouldn’t be Wednesday morning without chocolate!)

Let’s see… how about some Extreme Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies?

Scrumdiddlyumptious!!!!  Plenty to go around.  Have 5 🙂

Now that you’re raring to go, here’s the game:

I will share three pitches/jacket copy for upcoming picture book releases, all taken from the Amazon descriptions, and you say in the comments whether or not you would read them based on only the description I supply – no title, no author or illustrator, no publishing house, no cover image, NOTHING!  If you happen to recognize them, try to put your knowledge aside and remain objective, evaluating only on the basis of the supplied information.

Anyone who would like to increase the fun may post the pitch/jacket copy for a picture book of their choosing in the same way in the comments and let us respond to that too!

Okay?  Sound good?

Here we go!

#1 – Yes, Maybe, or No?
“Princess Magnolia and Princess Sneezewort have plans . . . mysterious plans, like a princess playdate! They dress-up slam! They karaoke jam! They playhouse romp and snack-time stomp! But then a shout from outside Princess Sneezewort’s castle interrupts their fun. It’s a monster trying to eat someone’s kitty! This is a job for the Princess in Black. Yet when the Princess in Black gets there, she finds only a masked stranger and no monster in sight . . . or is there?”

#2- Yes, Maybe, or No?
“When Kiniro, a young mermaid, comes upon a gorgeous house made of seashells and coral, she is so curious that she goes inside. She’s thrilled to find a just-right breakfast, pretty little chair, and, best of all, a comfy bed that rocks in the current.

But when the Octopus family returns home, they are not happy to find that someone has been eating their food and breaking their things. Baby has the biggest shock when she finds the mermaid asleep in her bed! Luckily, shock turns to happiness when Kiniro gives her a thoughtful gift before escaping from the twenty-four arms coming her way.”

#3- Yes, Maybe, or No?
“Erin loves to lie on the jetty, looking for the weirdest fish in the sea—the weirder, the better! And she knows the best ones must be further out, where her mum won’t let her go . . .

Out there in the deepest sea lies the Black Rock: a huge, dark and spiky mass that is said to destroy any boats that come near it! Can Erin uncover the truth behind this mysterious legend?”

So now!  You be the judge!  Would You Read #1, #2, or #3?  Yes, maybe, or no?

Post your response in the comments in the form of #1 – yes, #2 – no, #3 -maybe, or whatever, and if you care to say why you can put that too! 🙂  We can take a poll at the end (and by “poll” I mean I can go through the comments and count 🙂 ) and see which book gets the most YES votes 🙂

Extra Credit/Bonus (which means extra cookies for you if you get it 🙂 ) I noticed something after I’d chosen these three books.  Can you guess what I noticed?

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!  These are actual blurbs by actual publishers, so I will be VERY interested to know your response to these “pitches” without the aid of title, cover, etc!

9 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday – Topsy Turvy Fun And Games!

1. Maria Marshall (@MariaMarshall_) says:

Susanna, I had to stop at 2 1/2 cookies. Now I am in heaven! Such amazing chocolateness!! ❤
    I would definitely read pitch #2 (YES)! What a fun twist of Goldie Locks & the Three Bears. So ingenious. I can't wait to find it. I am curious about #3 (Maybe), but I sort-of-want just a bit more about what she does and I notice that "dreaded question mark." Guess we can't pitch with it, but the jacket cover can use it. I am less excited about #1 – a weak maybe for this one.

[extra credit – They are all about strong girls?]

Here's the jacket cover of my choice:
    Oliver, Charlie, and Lulu love to play outside together. Their favorite game is hide-and-seek, but it’s not fun for Oliver when his friends hide in the trees—he can’t reach them! So the friends set off to find a tree that Oliver can play in.
    But there’s a reason we don’t see elephants in trees, and just when Oliver is ready to give up the search, Charlie and Lulu surprise him with the perfect tree for them all to play in together!

Thanks for the fun game Susanna. You ROCK!!

2. Judy Sobanski says:

Susanna, those chocolatey cookies look pretty delish!! Sorry your pitcher was a “no-show.” I’m going to bet she had a good reason and hope it wasn’t due to any kind of bad emergency. 😦

I would definitely read # 1 because I like the “strong girl” suggestion and the fun language. I also like # 2 because I love to read twists on fairly tales and this sounds like a clever one. I’m a maybe on # 3 because the character sounds quite young (her mom won’t let her explore farther out, yet she’s going to solve a mystery that’s way out in the sea?) Hmm… does make me curious.
    I would definitely read the book you found, Maria. Sounds like a fun one! 🙂
    Here’s a jacket cover I like:
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages: the circus is beginning! Fierce Lion and speedy Zebra are stepping into the ring to perform their act – but wait! Things aren’t going quite according to plan… Zebra is on the go – with Lion in hot pursuit!

3. viviankirkfield says:

Susanna…are you sure there are no calories in your virtual chocolate delights?
    You are so creative…what a fun exercise! It struck me that all were about Mighty Girls…is that what they all have in common?

I have to go with #2…love this unique twist on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. And the pitch gives me a great peek into what I’ll find if I read the book. #3 doesn’t quite give me enough to go on…and #1 confuses because it mentions a Princess in Black, who I assume is one of the princesses in dress up, but that isn’t really clear.

And I LOVE both flap descriptions that Maria and Judy shared!

Here’s the jacket flap from one of the new 2017 picture books that I’ve read:
    Sally loves her sandals. They go shuffle-shuffle acros the rug, smack-smack on the floor tiles, and thwap-thwap down the stairs. Sally drags her blow-up toy to the pool. But pool fun turns to pool disaster when Sally loses her sandals and her toy is losing air. It’s a sink-or-swim scenario. What will Sally do?

Susanna…you are the BEST!

4. kathrynrammell says:

What a fun and clever game!

#1 Sounds cute but was a bit of a mouthful for me so it’s a maybe
    #2 I enjoy a book with a mermaid but the plot sounds too similar to the original and leaves me wanting a twist and something fresh
    #3 Weird fish and a mysterious legend?? I want to find out more! #3 is the winner for me. It sounds like it has potential for some wonderful illustrations.

Here’s a flap I just love:
    A fish has stolen a hat. And he’ll probably get away with it. Probably.

5. ingridboydston says:

Y.U.M! And way to turn a situation that’s no fun into one that’s full of fun! #2 grabbed my attention the most. I like the idea of reading it to my Kindergarteners along w all the other versions because it is familiar enough, but also very different! # 1 is a maybe, #3 not so much. Not sure why. Thanks for the topsy turvy fun!

6. Keila Dawson says:

Fun game! #1 Maybe…the Princess in Black through me off…maybe the cover would resonate
    #2 Yes! I love fractured fairy tales #3 Yes, because I want to know more. They all have female protagonists. YAY!

Here’s a jacket copy of a book I adore: “Start with one. Add two. The end result? A never-ending battle! Or is it?”