Perfect Picture Books!

I hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I got to babysit 🙂  Want to see?  (I know.  I promised not to inundate you with pictures of the most adorable granddaughter the world has yet seen.  But I’ve been pretty good… :))

How can you not fall in love with this? 🙂

What’s that?  You need one more?  OK.  You’ve twisted my arm 🙂

Just look at those cheeks!  I think she’s related to Friday’s chipmunk 🙂

All right.  That’s enough.  Stop asking me to show you pictures.  We have all kinds of excitement to get to this morning!

Remember that secret I mentioned on Friday?  The one you’ve no doubt been desperate to find out about all weekend to the point where you could hardly think of anything else but what will Susanna spring on us Monday????  You probably didn’t even sleep last night!

Well get ready, because here it comes!

But first,  let’s talk about how to remove stubborn stains from laundry items…

Tee hee 🙂

Seriously, here’s the news:

I’m starting a new feature!

In the spirit of Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays, the brainchild of Shannon Messenger, and various YA listicle-type things, I am starting Perfect Picture Book Fridays!  I’m announcing it today so you’ll all have time to gear up for the inaugural list this Friday, November 18.  Here’s what we’ll do:

As part of your Friday post, showcase a picture book you love.  This is NOT a review feature in the usual sense.  We’re all going to assume that you recommend the book you’re posting.  What’s going to make this feature really great is the details.

(Please note: to start with, Perfect Picture Books Fridays will only list traditionally published picture books.  In the future, I hope to expand to e-books and possibly self-published books, as well as books for older readers, but for now we’re going to stick with traditionally published picture books.)

1.  Give us the book title, author/illustrator, publisher, year, fiction or non-fiction, and audience age (preschool, elementary school or both)
2.  Tell us the themes/topics of the book (e.g. sibling rivalry, or, through hard work we achieve mastery, or, ocean life.)
3.  Give us the opening sentence or page and a 1-2 sentence synopsis.
4.  Link to any available resources you know of to expand this book’s use at home or in the classroom (e.g. links to classroom guides, coloring pages or other activity sheets, or fun activities that can be done in conjunction with the book like a leaf collage or an egg carton caterpillar etc.) and/or list your own ideas.
5.  Link back to the Perfect Books page of my blog (which will be useful in a week or two when we start having a list!)

Then add your post link to the list, using the picture book title along with your blog’s name, and every Friday parents, teachers, homeschoolers, and writers will have a great resource at their fingertips, perfect for going to the library to gather some weekend reading, or planning upcoming lessons for the following week, or studying great writing over the weekend, or all of the above!  (And as an added bonus, you’ll hopefully be increasing traffic to your blogs and attracting parents, teachers, and writers!)

In addition, I have added a Perfect Picture Books tab in the header of my blog where all these wonderful books and resources will be archived by age and subject (and permanent links to your blogs) – a go-to resource that parents, teachers, and writers can access at any time.

At the end of each month (starting with November even though we’re only going to be up and running for half the month) I will do a random drawing from among the names of the participants (you’ll get one chance for every book you’ve listed that month) and the winner will receive their choice of a $10 Amazon gift card or whatever picture book I’m giving away that month.

We all want to introduce our children to the joys of books, and encourage them to be life-long readers.  So much of that is dependent on finding the right books to suit their individual needs and interests.  The marketplace can be overwhelming and sadly, not all of us have time to go and chat with our local children’s librarian or spend hours researching books.  Perfect Picture Books will be your new resource – a community of parents, teachers, librarians, and writers whose recommendations you can trust, and a way to make life easier for parents and teachers.

Please pass the word to everyone you know who might be interested.  The more people who are involved, the more comprehensive and helpful this resource will be.

I hope you’ll all find this idea as fun and exciting as I do and join in starting this Friday.

I’ll bring the donuts 🙂

63 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Books!

1. Joanna says:

Ok,once I had gotten past going gaga over the photos, I did read your post and think the idea is great. I am in for sure, Susanna, and will spread the word.

Joanna – I'm so excited you're interested! I think this could be a really great resource AND a really great community builder – wonderful for parents, teachers, gift-givers, homeschoolers etc. – but it's got to get off the ground and the word has to get out. The next challenge will be letting mommy bloggers and teacher blogs know that the resource exists – once we;ve got some books up 🙂

CAtherine – I'm SO glad you're interested – I was really hoping you would be! And I'm not that smart. This will only be good if lots of people participate. But if they do, I think it could be really great on many levels!

Cassie Mae – thanks so much! I know – those cheeks 🙂 I really hope you'll consider joining in on Perfect Picture Book Fridays – I get the feeling from your creative responses to Warm Fuzzies that you would be full of good ideas on how to use books in fun ways!

5. Laura Marcella says:

Your granddaughter is so sweet, Susanna!

Great idea about the picture books. I have six nieces and nephews; one is 11 but the other five are between the ages of 1 and 7, so I'm always looking for great picture book suggestions for Christmas and birthdays!

Hi Laura – thanks so much for stopping by in the middle of NaNoing! I really appreciate it. I hope the new feature will be very helpful for gift-givers as well as parents, teachers and writers! I also hope you'll join the Friday postings (after NaNo is over :)) Good luck with that word count!

7. Patricia Tilton says:

Great idea Susanna! Count me in. I don't normally post on Friday, so it will be fun to just have a page entitled “Perfect Picture Book Fridays.” This willl allow me to share books I don't get to. Beautiful picture of your granddaughter.

Patricia – I'm so glad you're enthusiastic! I think this can really be a great help. What sets it apart are the resources – how parents can use books at home, or teachers in the classroom – making life a little easier. I'll look forward to your first choice. I'm trying to decide on mine and it's hard – so many great books 🙂

9. cathy mealey says:

I just love her twinkling eyes! Oh my!

I am glad the secret has been revealed and now I will not have to toss and turn all night.

I'll be happy to collect some favorites for the virtual perfect picture book shelf!

10. Lisa Thiesing says:

Oh,Susanna! First, I have to say, Granddaughter?!?! How could that be?!?! And totally adorable, of course.
    And what a great idea! I definitely have one to nominate. I just need to gather the info.

Cathy – thank you! I will look forward to your selections! I'm hopeful that this could be really useful and helpful for parents, teachers, home-schoolers, writers, and gift-givers, as well as being great for our writing/blogging community 🙂 But it will definitely require people to join in the fun and spread the word! Thanks for being willing 🙂

Lisa – I know it. I myself cannot get over the idea of being a granny at 21 🙂

I'm so glad you like the idea! And I hope you'll have a lot more than one to submit! The key is in the usefulness/resources – that's what's going to set this apart from other types of reviews. Do you have a blog? If not, you can still submit by copying and pasting into the comments (I'll move it over to Just Right Books) or by emailing it to me and I'll add it and credit you.

13. Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) says:

What a great idea Susanna. this list would be great for teachers, parents and home schoolers!! Can't wait to get started!! 😀

and your granddaughter!!!! those cheeks are Just. To. Die. For!!!!! I bet you spent the whole time kissing and pinching those cheeks!! ❤

LOL! I love how to provided that teaser, broke to commercial breatk then decided not to torture us any longer.

This sounds great. I look forward to either participating or reading the lists.

Saba – I'm so glad you're enthusiastic! I think it will be great, too, and I'll be so glad to have you on board! And yes, the cheeks are infinitely kissable 🙂

Coleen – I know, isn't she just? 🙂 Not that I'm in any way biased 🙂 I hope you'll join in the picture book fun!

Janet – thank you! I have to agree! I hope you'll join in on the picture books as soon as you're ready! 🙂

Stacy – Thank you! And yes, I think this is a sign that you should explore picture books and blog about them 🙂

Angela – glad you liked my presentation 🙂 I'm glad you like the idea and hope very much that you'll participate!!!

16. A2Z Mommy says:

Susanna,
    What a great idea! With three kids int he house we have stumbled up some great books that have remained favorites from one sibling to another, and sometimes just for one. What a great idea!
    Your granddaughter is just beautiful!

17. kellykorenek says:

Hi, Susanna! Thank you once again for a wonderful idea that is sure to be beneficial to many. I just posted my link for Perfect Picture Book Friday. I plan to use the linked activity for How Rocket Learned to Read after Thanksgiving with my kinders. It's a great book! Have a great weekend and a Happy Turkey Day!

18. clarbojahn says:

Along with all the other enthusiasts I'll say *Yay* for Perfect Picture Book Fridays. I don't usually post on Fridays but may once in a while to join in the fun. Thanks for this fun idea. I'm a fan of Shannon's MMGM, too.

19. Renee LaTulippe says:

Hi Susanna! I'll be launching my poetry and picture book blog in January (at NoWaterRiver.com), which is mainly video posts of my own children's poetry and posts about the PBs in my growing library. Would love to turn those planned posts into PPBF — but is it okay to stray from the formula? I can still give all the details, but my posts may be less review and more personal connection with/reflection about the books. Thanks!

Renee- PPBFs are structured so that they will be helpful to parents and teachers. Consistency is a factor, as is being sure to include resources on how to expand the books for further use at home and in the classroom. So I guess I'd have to see how you did it 🙂

21. Jennifer Rumberger says:

Susanna,
    Thanks for the invitation to PPBFs! I've thought about it and I would love to switch my PB Thursdays to Friday and join you. It shouldn't be too hard to add the additional info you require to what I already do. I may have trouble with the links the first time around in January, but if so, I will let you know!

22. Amy Dixon says:

Hi Susanna! I am a 12×12 participant and excited to join in on Perfect Picture Book Fridays. I did have one question: If the book has been done in the past by another blogger, is it off-limits? I suppose the idea is to give as many pb options and information as possible, but I did wonder if we were super-enthusiastic about a particular book, would it be okay to repeat? Thanks for starting this, I am looking forward to it!

Hi Amy! I'm thrilled you're joining us! At this stage, the idea is not to repeat on purpose. I'd like to come up with a way to register how popular books are by having people who love them “like” them or something, but I haven't figured that out yet. If a repeat happens by accident, we'll make do, but for now, if possible we'd like to enter new books – although you can certainly mention that you love something but it had already been done – we've all done that 🙂 There's an almost updated list on the Perfect Picture Book tab – it's just missing the second half of last week's, so please check that post too.