Perfect Picture Book Friday – The Bear Went Over The Mountain

Today I am thrilled to be showcasing a truly perfect picture book by one of my favorite author/illustrators!  It’s brand new, and if you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, rush right out because it’s wonderful and you’re going to love it 🙂

The Bear Went Over The Mountain
Written & Illustrated By:  Iza Trapani
Sky Pony Press, April 2012, Fiction

Suitable For:  ages 3-7

Themes/Topics: Animals, Language Fun, Nature, Seasons, 5 Senses

Opening:  “The bear went over the mountain,
The bear went over the mountain,
The bear went over the mountain
To see what he could see.
He saw a dragonfly,
A bluebird flitting by,
Three fuzzy rabbits skipping,
Five happy ducklings dipping…”

Brief Synopsis:  The bear goes over the mountain to see what he can see, hear, smell, touch, and taste, and he gets a few surprises while he’s at it! 🙂

Links To Resources:  Classroom Activities, Coloring Page, Maze, Connect-The-Dots, Word Search, Bookmarks.

Why I Like This Book:  This book, like all of Iza Trapani’s books, has impeccable, fun-to-read/sing aloud rhyme, a delightful child-friendly story, and gorgeous art that makes you want to crawl right into the pages and live there 🙂  The bear goes over the mountain and experiences nature through all five of his senses, some in rather unexpected ways.  Children will learn the song quickly because it’s a familiar tune, and they will delight in singing along to the bear’s adventures.  Perfect for bedtime, story time, preschoolers learning about the 5 senses, rides in the car – another winner from Iza!

Iza was kind enough to visit us here recently, and if you didn’t get to see her interview you can read it HERE.

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Now, before we all rush off to read the other PPBs and enjoy our weekends, I have two three other things to tell you:

First, in case you haven’t had a chance to check it out, Phyllis visited Clar in Virginia, and Melissa in Australia.  She is currently flying home from England (I wonder if she’ll have an accent :)) and arrived in South Korea yesterday which was tomorrow over there at the time 🙂  She should be arriving at Saba’s in Washington today.  And this just in, she has been to see Alison in Georgia!

Second, by overwhelmingly popular demand, editor Erin Molta’s visit to our little corner of the blogosphere will be a Q&A, possibly divided into more than one post, so please check the comments from Wednesday’s post to see the questions currently on the table, and add any additional questions here when you think of them (or email me :))  There is not yet a set date for this extravaganza, but you can be sure I’ll let you know! 🙂

Finally, on Monday we will have a visit from the fabulous author/illustrator Lisa Thiesing!  Because I know people in high places (that would be me) I have already read her interview, and I can assure you it is really good!!!  So I hope you’ll all flock over here first thing Monday morning and show her some much-deserved love! 🙂

Now then.  PPB bloggers, please add your post-specific link below, and everyone have a super-fantastic fun-filled weekend!!!

50 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – The Bear Went Over The Mountain

1. Tiltonph says:

Oh great, her book is out. I want this one for my granddaughter! Lovely review and great activities. She is a master at rhyme. It is beautifully illustrated and so colorful. Enjoyed the inteviews with Iza!

2. Robyn Campbell says:

Wonderful book. I think this is the perfect read anytime story. The rhyme is so precious and that cover makes me grin from ear to ear. Great resources, woman! You rock. I gotta get this book. 🙂

Wish I had had this one last week to read to my grandson…I know he would have LOVED it.
    Looking forward to your upcoming posts, Susanna…they are always so packed with info and tips.
    Thanks also for the resources for the book!

4. Penny Klostermann says:

Iza's book is on my list. I am really looking forward to reading it. It sounds adorable. She really does do rhyme right!

Phyllis is just having the most wonderful tour ever. I have been visiting all the blogs and enviously reading of her world travels.

You have lots of good stuff in store for us…can't wait. The Q&A questions are getting me excited for the Erin Molta post/s. They ought to be fabulous.

5. Renee LaTulippe says:

HOORAY! You know I love all things Iza, so what a wonderfully perfect choice. Those illustrations look darling, and the rhyme divine. What can I say except what I've said before: Iza is a pleasa!

When I read the opening I was already falling in step with the melody 🙂 I'll have to check this one out for sure.

And again, Phyllis is a busy, busy groundhog, going to different places at the same time and all. How does she do it?? 🙂

7. Tracy Bermeo says:

South Korea! Phyllis is one lucky groundhog. This week's book looks amazing and I love that song. Visiting all five senses is a wonderful exercise for children.
    Love the idea of Erin visiting more often- what a great idea!

Iza really is amazing with rhyme, and her art is so beautiful! I'm glad you're still enjoying Phyllis's tour – she seems to have lost momentum and interest has waned, so i'm glad you still like it! 🙂 I'm looking forward to Erin's post/s too – I think we're all going to learn some really interesting stuff!!!

9. Coleen Patrick says:

This book makes me so nostalgic!! It brings me back to elementary school–singing it and also drawing our own pictures for the story.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane 🙂

10. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

I'll read the interview with Iza but first want to comment. The book is one I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. It is a winner.

I'm looking forward to the Q and A with Erin. That, too, should be a winner.

I loved having Phyllis for a house guest. I don't think I've ever had such a fun and outstanding guest. The pleasure was all mine. 🙂

11. Julie Hedlund says:

Yay, I'm so glad this book is out and that you've featured it for PPBF. Congratulations Iza! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

12. Catherine Johnson says:

That sounds absolutely delightful, can we all have a trip there too? 🙂 I still haven't thought of a ? hmm…
    Have a lovely weekend!

See? Clar agrees with me that this is a PPB! Thanks Clar! Glad you're looking forward to Erin – send questions if you have any! – and SO glad you enjoyed having Phyllis! Thank you for being such a wonderful hostess 🙂

14. Iza says:

Thank you so much, dear Susanna, for this lovely surprise and all your kind words! You are truly wonderful! And so are your readers. Thank you all!

15. patientdreamer says:

The story and illustrations of this book you have choosen Susanna are just so delightful. I just love the colouring Iza uses, it really comes alive. Thankyou for posting my link… that was quick… lol.

16. Iza says:

I am just so happy and honored to be featured here! Bear hugs to you Susanna and to all you wonderful readers! You have made my day 🙂