Would You Read It Wednesday – The 49th Pitch!

Wow!  Do you know what I just realized?  This week’s pitch is #49, which means we’ve been doing Would You Read It for almost a whole entire year!  And week #52 – the WYRI Anniversary – is going to coincide with final week of the Olympics!  I have a feeling this calls for a celebration of some kind… I’m just not sure what 🙂  Feel free to make suggestions!  Especially if they involve chocolate cake 🙂 and open flame 🙂

All we need here is a little photoshopping so it says
BLUEBERRY HILL 2012 🙂

I actually do have a special Would You Read It announcement today.  Remember that poll I took last week?  Well, some late voters changed the picture a bit.  The results indicated that the majority of you were happy either way, but a fairly large group were in favor of change, while only 3 people felt it should definitely stay the same.

So here’s what we’re going to try.  Beginning with July (you know, the month we’re in right now… last time I checked anyway… :)), any pitcher WHO WOULD LIKE TO (it is not in any way, shape, or form required!) may rewrite their pitch before the pitch pick based on the feedback they received from all you generous and helpful readers.  They will just have to get their rewrites in to me before the last day of the month.  Sound good?  I’m game to give it a try if you are.  If we all decide we hate it, we can always go back to the old system 🙂  But a lot of people have asked about it and would like the opportunity to improve, and I’m all for encouraging improvement 🙂

I would also like to take this opportunity to say how much fun I’m having with Summer Short & Sweets!  I’ve been amazed and gratified at how many people have been participating, and everyone is so creative and talented!  It’s such a pleasure to see what you all come up with that I find myself eagerly looking forward to Fridays!  Thank you all for being such great sports 🙂

But now, onward!  It’s time for today’s pitch which comes to us from the lovely Vivian whom I’m sure you all remember from last month’s incredibly informative guest post for the self-publishing mini-series, but just in case you don’t know her, here’s a little info:

Vivian Kirkfield has been involved in the care and education of young children for over 50 years.  From babysitting to teaching kindergarten and Head Start to raising her own three children while operating a home daycare, Vivian’s passion for picture books encouraged her to write her award-winning book, Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking.  She shares her mission to help every young child become a lover of books and reading during her school visits with kindergarteners and her presentations to parent and teacher organizations.  Julie Hedlund’s 12 x 12 Challenge was the catalyst that started her writing picture book stories again…and now she can’t stop!  Many of her stories are based on her experiences as a teacher, mother and grandmother.  The Tomato Turner is a true story about her own family…and she plans several sequels…Confessions of the Tomato Turner and The Tomato Turner Returns.
Vivian’s book/author website:  http://www.positiveparentalparticipation.com

And now, here is her pitch:

Working Title:  The Tomato Turner
Age/Genre:  Picture Book (ages 3-8)
The Pitch:  Stuck in the middle between a brainy older brother and an adorable baby sister, four-year old Peter is determined to do something spectacular that will make everyone proud of him – when he sees the basket of green tomatoes on the kitchen counter, he seizes the opportunity to astonish his family.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Vivian improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in August, which is not very far away at all at this point, so we could really use some new pitches!!
Vivian is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!

And before we all go off to our wonderful Wednesdays, I wanted to mention a special upcoming treat!  My friend and fellow author, Tiffany Haber, had her debut picture book release yesterday!!!  Here is her book:

Awesome, no?!  And here’s where the special treat part comes in: Tiffany is coming over to visit with us here on Monday July 23 – that’s in like 5 days! – and along with what I’m sure will be a fabulously entertaining post, she will be giving away a signed copy of this exceptionally fun-looking brand new book!!!  Mine is on order and due to arrive tomorrow.  I can’t wait to read it!

Alrighty.  You’re excused.  Have a lovely day 🙂  Hope to see you Friday for Short & Sweets!

76 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday – The 49th Pitch!

1. Cally Jackson says:

Hooray for Wednesdays!

Firstly, to Vivian, my answer is a resounding yes. The description of the characters hooked me and the playful tone makes me certain I'd be in for a fun read. The only thing that would strengthen the pitch (IMO) is some other potential reactions from his parents and their consequences.

Secondly, I'm so glad authors now have the option of refining their pitches before we vote – makes so much more sense to me.

I'm looking forward to Tiffany's post next week. 🙂

Thanks for your comment for Vivian, Cally! And I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the change in WYRI policy – I like the idea of giving people the option to change and improve!

Cally Jackson wrote :

Hooray for Wednesdays!

I'm looking forward to Tiffany's post next week. 🙂

User's website
    IP address: 121.210.249.71

—–

Options: You can moderate through email. Respond in the body with “Delete”, “Approve”, or “Spam”. Reply with “Like” to like this comment, or respond in the body to post a reply comment. Or use the moderate panel: http://susannaleonardhillblog.disqus.com/admin/moderate/#/pending To turn off notifications

Thanks for your comment for Vivian, Delores – I'm sure she'll be pleased! 🙂

thefeatherednest (unregistered) wrote :

Wow..absolutely I would read it…in fact, now I HAVE to read it.

IP address: 174.114.50.112

4. Rita says:

Yes I would read it! But I think I would need a subtle hint of what will hapen with the tomatoes.

Susanna your new pitch idea is great

Yes I would read The Tomato Turner. Admittedly, I have a bias toward Peter since he's the middle child…like me 🙂 But it looks like he's got a plan to make himself stand out. And it would be interesting to read what that is.

I like that book cover for your friend's release. Using colorful ut-out font was a pretty cool idea. Not to “mean”-tion to the title is cool as well.

6. Rosalind Adam says:

I may have commented this before but 3 to 8 seems like an improbably wide age range at which to aim a picture book. Sorry to sound negative but I don't feel that the pitch gave me enough. I think you could hint at the family line up/conflicts and give a little more of the flavour of the story. Hope that helps.

7. Tina Cho says:

Vivian,
    Yes! My curiosity is hooked right from the title. What could a tomato turner be?

Susanna,
    I like the idea people can improve their pitches as well.

8. Robyn Campbell says:

Hmm, I love the idea and I want to read it (I love fried green tomatoes in the summer time) but really, I would love a little more info. Something about the tomatoes mixed into the pitch would be great. But the story and the sequels sound supercalafragalistic, Vivian.

If I don't win Tiffany's book, I'll have to pop over to Amazon and order it. It looks like my kinda story, Susanna!

I haven't been very short and sweet this summer. *sigh* I keep saying I will and then I don't. But I will. *promise* (((Hugs)))

9. Penny Klostermann says:

I would read. I want to find out what he does to astonish his family & what that has to do with the title!!!

As far as the book….that cover is amazing. And for any of you who haven't seen the book trailer, Google it and take a look. It is adorable. Of course, I would be NICE to everyone if I could win The Monster Who Lost His MEAN. (Well, I will probably be nice anyway, but just sayin…..)

I'm happy with the WYRI decision. You put it well, Susanna….it is all about improvement.

As far as a celebration for the coinciding of WYRI/52 weeks and the summer olympics….have you seen the logo where the 2012 numbers look like puzzle pieces…it's sooo cool and maybe an option or at least a “get-those-creative-juices-flowing” influence. Check it out!

10. Jarmila V. Del Boccio says:

Thanks!

11. Randy Lindsay says:

I don't know if I would read it. The pitch starts off sounding great, but I think it needs more detail at the end. If you can change “he seizes the opportunity to astonish his family” to something specific I think you have a very solig pitch on your hands.

12. Iza says:

I think the pitch is great- to the point and leaves reader intrigued to find out more about the tomatoes. I would definitely read it!

13. Cathy Mealey says:

I love Vivian's work and I am very interested in her story! I really want to learn from this pitch, as I am always editing for brevity and fearful that my pitches might lose their 'charm' if I cut too much. I would have written this as:

Four year old Peter, stuck between a brainy older brother and adorable baby sister, is determined make everyone proud of him. When he sees a basket of green tomatoes in the kitchen, he is inspired to do something spectacular that will astonish his entire family.

But that's just me! Too dry?

14. Leigh Covington says:

WOW! Almost a whole year! Very exciting!

And, I like the pitch. I would say “yes” but I want a little more information. Maybe posed in a question… “can he turn the tomatoes red or….”
    This is, of course, me assuming he wants to turn the tomatoes red. 😀 But you get the point, right? 🙂

Thanks for chiming in, Iza!

Iza (unregistered) wrote :

IP address: 166.137.88.173

—–

Very instructive to see your version, Cathy! Thanks for helping out!

Cathy Mealey (unregistered) wrote :

But that's just me! Too dry?

User's website
    IP address: 173.76.159.156

Me, too, Coleen!

coleen patrick wrote :

A big yes for me! I'm intrigued and want to know what he's going to do!

User's website
    IP address: 96.228.52.213

Come back Monday, Laura, and maybe you can win it for those little nieces 🙂

Laura Marcella (unregistered) wrote :

I'd absolutely read it after that pitch! I really want to know what he's going to do with those tomatoes.
    Congrats to Tiffany! Her book looks so cute. What a great title!

User's website
    IP address: 68.83.139.133

—–

Thanks for your help, Randy!

Randy Lindsay (unregistered) wrote :

IP address: 72.201.239.34

20. Hannah Holt says:

Congrats to Tiffany! The book cover looks awesome and the title is catchy. I'll definitely check it out.

Vivian, your pitch is interesting and has me curious. However, I wonder if you could tighten the front and add to the end. I'm NOT wondering why a four year old would be interested in tomatoes. I want to know why Peter is interested in tomatoes (aside from wanting to impress his family.) Something like…

Peter, Peter middle-seater, wants to impress his Mom. But when you aren't the youngest, and you aren't the oldest, it's hard not to feel like the family's greenest tomato.

Yes, that's it exactly, Jarm, but only if you want to – it is not a requirement that you rewrite. If you're not sure you can improve on the original it's fine to leave it as is. Thanks for your comment for Vivian! 🙂

Jarmila V. Del Boccio wrote :

Yes, Vivian, I would read it. I want to know what he did with the basket of tomatoes! The only words I would leave out (they seem redundant) are the last: “to astonish his family”, and end with the word “opportunity”. Hope this is helpful… Susanna, I'm a bit confused about repitching…we rewrite the pitch we began with, using the suggestions we were given. Is that correct? Thanks!

User's website
    IP address: 108.205.190.209

—–

I have not seen that logo and now I will have to look for it, but just WAIT til you see what the amazing Renee made me! 🙂 Now all I have to do is think up something REALLY FUN to celebrate! Help! 🙂

Penny Klostermann (unregistered) wrote :

IP address: 74.197.87.22

—–

Thanks so much for stopping by, Megan, and thanks for your comment for Vivian! 🙂

Megan McGay wrote :

Love the pitch idea and thought it was great! I want to read it!

IP address: 42.241.198.4

—–

Thanks for your thoughts for Vivian, Angela. And I can't wait to read Tiffany's book – my copy will be here tomorrow!!! (It's practically like xmas :))

Angela Brown wrote :

IP address: 24.242.43.186

Thanks Erik – on both counts! 🙂

This Kid Reviews Bks wrote :

I am liking the Summer Short and Sweets too 🙂
    I love the pitch for the Tomato Turner and I want to be astonished by Peter too! 😀

User's website
    IP address: 173.86.62.14

—–

So glad you like it, Rita! You can be in the first group to benefit!

Rita (unregistered) wrote :

Susanna your new pitch idea is great

IP address: 78.133.42.67

27. SevenAcreSky says:

I'd read this one for sure! I grew up in tomato country and can imagine what Peter has up his sleeve…I would change just a few words as indicated by CAPS below…(can't do italics or underline, I guess in the poster).

Stuck in the middle between a brainy older brother and an adorable baby sister, four-year old Peter is determined to do something spectacular that will make everyone NOTICE him – when he sees A basket of green tomatoes on the kitchen counter, he MAKES PLANS to astonish his family.

28. Penny Klostermann says:

There is NO telling what the amazing Renee came up with!!! She's full of surprises and creativity! She should have an exclamation point above her head…in fact she should have an over abundance of exclamation points above her head 🙂

Thank you so much, Cally…I really appreciate your “resounding yes” 🙂 and I'm especially happy the characters hooked you (they've hooked me as well for over 30 years)! I'm grateful for your constructive feedback also…it really helps for others to look at it objectively. 🙂

Hi Rita…thank you for your comment…and I appreciate the suggestion…that's what this is all about…I've never been part of a critique group (except the infrequent meetings at our local SCBWI)…I know it would be so very helopful. 🙂

I guess each child, depending on his family placement, has a “cross to bear”…but I do believe that the middle child often struggles the most to be noticed. Glad the pitch struck a chord with you, Angela…thank you for your wonderful comment. 🙂

Hi Megan…so glad you would want to read it. 🙂 It's actually a true story…as the sequels will be. I never lacked from story material when Peter was around. 🙂 Thank you so much for commenting.

Supercalafragalistic…oh my, Robyn…that is definitely a spoonful of sugar for me tonight. 🙂
    Thank you for the helpful feedback…I glanced at some of the other comments and it seems that you are not
    alone in wanting a little more info…we'll see what I can do.

Hi Jarm…so lovely of you to comment…glad you liked the pitch…and I do appreciate your helpful suggestion…I'm so happy Susanna will let us rewrite the pitch if we want to…the feedback is really great!

Laura…I'm really thrilled with the comments here on the pitch…I'll have to share them with the real Peter…he will be so happy! Glad you are curious about what will happen to the tomatoes. 🙂