Would You Read It Wednesday #77 – Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney (PB)

Well, it’s Wednesday.  I don’t know how we got here so fast this week, but we did.  Which is not good, because I am still on Monday’s work! (Er, possibly LAST Monday’s…!)

I think a little Something Chocolate is in order, don’t you?  Clearly some of us (ahem… the person in charge around here) need a swift kick to get us in gear, and what better kicker than chocolate?  (That is a rhetorical question!  The ONLY answer is of course… chocolate!)  Let me check my supplies…  Mmmm!  This looks tasty!

I feel more energetic and motivated already! 🙂

Now that we are all fortified with cake, I shall announce the winner of the January Pitch Pick.  I know you have all been waiting anxiously to hear who it is, since we had such a nail biting vote what with the tie and all.  It was a tough, tough choice, and all the pitches were terrific, but the winner for January is WENDY with her MG pitch for Civil.  Congratulations, Wendy, your pitch has already flown through cyberspace and awaits the attention of editor Erin Molta.  And congratulations and thank you to ALL our pitchers who bravely put forth their work so that we can all learn.

Today’s pitch comes to us from Wendy G – not to be confused with Wendy L who won the January Pitch Pick!  Once a microbiologist, then an attorney, Wendy found her way to writing for children. A lover of jokes (good and bad), she roots for underdogs. You can connect with Wendy:

Website/blog: http://www.wendygreenley.com/

Facebook: http://facebook.com/wendy.greenley.3

Twitter: @WendyGreenley

Working Title: Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney Or Why Fireflies Should Never Drink Soda

The Pitch: One night, all the insects at a campground sip from a discarded cup of soda—all the insects except for the two fireflies, Herman and his sister, Tara. In HERMAN’S SUPER-POWERED HEINEY OR WHY FIREFLIES SHOULD NEVER DRINK SODA, a feisty, rule breaking firefly learns firsthand why he shouldn’t drink soda. It’s Curious George mixed with A Bug’s Life. A wacky picture book with a sibling friendship hook.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Wendy improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in March so we could really use some new pitches!  It’s your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Wendy is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to another slice of cake, getting caught up on my work (hahahahahahahaha!!!!! – you know, it’s good for you to laugh!), and to seeing if any new pitches come in because we are going to run out soon!

Have a great day, everyone!

72 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #77 – Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney (PB)

1. Patricia Nozell says:

Wendy, your pitch has sparked my interest! Yes, I would read it! My only confusion lies in the fact that it seems as if Herman hasn't drunk from the soda – so how does the problem arise? If he does partake, that lead in should be changed. Look forward to reading more.

2. Wendy says:

Thanks, Erik! It's one of my favorite titles-some folks had suggested tone it down to No Fizzy Drinks for Fireflies and I have been torn.

Patricia touched on the only thing that confused me as well. Since you've addressed in your reply to her comment, then, YES, I would love to read this cute book. Sounds like it would be a fantastic read.

4. Wendy says:

Thanks, Angela. I was worried I didn't tell enough about how the firefly “learns his lesson.” Glad this piqued your interest enough.

5. Wendy says:

Okay, here's a revised version for the later arrivals to read. It's a little wordier than the first, but it addresses the issue the earlier commenters had. Help me get this right!

One night, all the insects at a campground sip from a discarded cup of soda. Herman and his sister, Tara know fireflies aren’t supposed to drink it–but Herman can't stop himself. In HERMAN’S

6. Joanna Marple says:

Hi Wendy, I like the revised version much better, except I do not think you have to put the title in there, especially as this one is super long.

Congrats to Wendy.

7. alayne says:

I struggled with your initial pitch, but you fixed my concerns in the revised version. Yes, this pitch makes me want to read the story. Great title!

8. Alison Hertz says:

I'm confused by your pitch. It implies that the firefly does not drink the soda but the title says the opposite. Grab the editor with your line without the title in it and instead, add more details of the plot. Also, make your title shorter and snappier. This concept sounds funny so it seems worth tweaking.

9. pennyklostermann says:

This is the part of the pitch that hooks me.
    “In HERMAN’S SUPER-POWERED HEINEY OR WHY FIREFLIES SHOULD NEVER DRINK SODA a feisty, rule breaking firefly learns firsthand why fireflies shouldn’t drink soda.”

Too me that gives enough to make me want to read on. I think it sound hilarious.

And congrats to the other Wendy on her win for January's Pitch Pick!

10. Genevieve says:

First of all, yes I would read it. I love a rule-breaking firefly! I'm torn about the word heiney, but from the earlier comments I am the only one with that issue. Also, I like the revised one better than the original, but it still says “all” the insects drank the soda, but then it sounds like Herman's sister didn't. So maybe “all” isn't what you need there. Besides that it sounds like fun, and I expect to see fireworks in the illustrations. Ka-boom….?

11. nrhatch says:

Genevieve, you're not the only one with that issue. I don't care for the first half of the title and it doesn't make me want to read the book which, presumably, centers on fireflies farting.

12. Teresa Robeson says:

You had me a microbiologist! LOL! Seriously, though, I would TOTALLY read this because I love pretty much any book about bugs, especially cute and feisty insects…add to that the evil of sodas, and how can I not love it? 😉

Even if the pitch were just so-so (which it isn't; it's super-duper!), I would have been induced to say yes to it by the chocolate coma that Susanna's photo put in me (aha! That's why you post chocolate photos, isn't it, Susanna?)

Seriously cool and hilarious concept, Wendy!

13. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Yes, I would – anything that causes bugs to burp (my imagination is fueled) must be good! I would take out the comparison – the pitch needs to stand alone – and it can. Like Penny, I got hooked on the one sentence alone. Congrats to Wendy L., too!

14. Wendy says:

Thanks, Joanna. I'm hoping the “real” title wouldn't be as long, but I worry that in a pitch an editor/agent would be turned off if they thought it was a story about a flatulent child! What to do…

15. Wendy says:

Thanks, Rose. I didn't want to give away what happened in the pitch-but I also don't want folks turned off by thinking the firefly is farting! Decisions, decisions.

16. Margaret Greanias says:

Yes, I would read it — sounds super fun and original. A couple of things: 1) The first sentence implies Herman did not drink the soda, which is opposite of where the story goes 2) I know generally what the story is about, but would benefit greatly by some examples of what happens 3) Your two titles are fun but I prefer the second. From the first one, I thought the story was going to be about Herman having gas. Looking forward to seeing more about this!

POSTED FOR RACHEL

My computer still won't let me comment on your blog (boo!) but I think this sounds like a cute concept. But I was a little confused. It's probably just me, but how do they learn why fireflies shouldn't drink soda if the two fireflies are the only bugs that don't drink it?

Thanks for your thoughts, Nancy. THat would be an important issue to resolve because I don't think you're the only one who might be put off by it… although Walter The Farting Dog doesn't seem to have any problems! (Well, aside from the obvious :))

nrhatch (unregistered) wrote, in response to Genevieve:

Link to comment
    IP address: 72.184.69.105

19. Sue Heavenrich says:

I love fireflies – and yes, your edited version makes more sense.
    I can see a curious bug getting in lots of trouble, and sipping from the “forbidden cup” is too enticing to pass up.
    My guess is this has something to do with bioluminescence…. and maybe (since flashing signals is how they communicate) he gets his signals crossed and ends up saying rude things unintentionally?
    Give it a shorter title and I'd give it a read.

20. Sue Heavenrich says:

oh yeah, and thanks for the cake, Susanna. It is to die for! (I took a second piece… crumbs all over the keyboard and frosting smudges on the monitor.)

21. B.J. Lee says:

I would definitely read it! Sounds hilarious, actually. I think the pitch is a bit long and I think this would be stronger: In HERMAN’S SUPER-POWERED HEINEY OR WHY FIREFLIES SHOULD NEVER DRINK SODA, a feisty, rule breaking firefly learns firsthand why he shouldn’t drink soda. It's Curious George mixed with A Bug's Life.
    Good luck, Wendy!