Would You Read It Wednesday #77 – Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney (PB)

Well, it’s Wednesday.  I don’t know how we got here so fast this week, but we did.  Which is not good, because I am still on Monday’s work! (Er, possibly LAST Monday’s…!)

I think a little Something Chocolate is in order, don’t you?  Clearly some of us (ahem… the person in charge around here) need a swift kick to get us in gear, and what better kicker than chocolate?  (That is a rhetorical question!  The ONLY answer is of course… chocolate!)  Let me check my supplies…  Mmmm!  This looks tasty!

I feel more energetic and motivated already! 🙂

Now that we are all fortified with cake, I shall announce the winner of the January Pitch Pick.  I know you have all been waiting anxiously to hear who it is, since we had such a nail biting vote what with the tie and all.  It was a tough, tough choice, and all the pitches were terrific, but the winner for January is WENDY with her MG pitch for Civil.  Congratulations, Wendy, your pitch has already flown through cyberspace and awaits the attention of editor Erin Molta.  And congratulations and thank you to ALL our pitchers who bravely put forth their work so that we can all learn.

Today’s pitch comes to us from Wendy G – not to be confused with Wendy L who won the January Pitch Pick!  Once a microbiologist, then an attorney, Wendy found her way to writing for children. A lover of jokes (good and bad), she roots for underdogs. You can connect with Wendy:

Website/blog: http://www.wendygreenley.com/

Facebook: http://facebook.com/wendy.greenley.3

Twitter: @WendyGreenley

Working Title: Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney Or Why Fireflies Should Never Drink Soda

The Pitch: One night, all the insects at a campground sip from a discarded cup of soda—all the insects except for the two fireflies, Herman and his sister, Tara. In HERMAN’S SUPER-POWERED HEINEY OR WHY FIREFLIES SHOULD NEVER DRINK SODA, a feisty, rule breaking firefly learns firsthand why he shouldn’t drink soda. It’s Curious George mixed with A Bug’s Life. A wacky picture book with a sibling friendship hook.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Wendy improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in March so we could really use some new pitches!  It’s your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Wendy is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to another slice of cake, getting caught up on my work (hahahahahahahaha!!!!! – you know, it’s good for you to laugh!), and to seeing if any new pitches come in because we are going to run out soon!

Have a great day, everyone!

72 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #77 – Herman’s Super-Powered Heiney (PB)

Congrats to pitcher Wendy L…can't wait to read your published book!
    And yes, I would definitely read Wendy G's story…such a cute concept…I'm not crazy about the 'heiny' part in the title…but kids will love it! Don't know about mentioning the other books…I've been told that if you do that you have to tell how your book is unique and provides a different perspective. And keeping the pitch short seems to be the goal.:) Here's another thought:

A discarded cup of soda in the campground trash barrel proves too much temptation for rule-breaking Herman. When the feisty firefly take a sip, fireworks of one sort or another ensue…and the winged beacon learns why he's been taught that fireflies should never drink soda.

Thanks for the chocolate cake, Susanna…I think I need to make a cup of hot chocolate now…we are in for some snow.:)

2. Patricia Tilton says:

Excellent pitch Wendy. Yes, I'd read it. Sound quirky and fun! I wouldn't mention the other books as it is a bit confusing, and I don't think it is needed. Your pitch is good without the mention.

Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions for Wendy, Vivian! And I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake. Every day is better with chocolate, don't you think? 🙂 Hope you're getting pretty snow, not troublesome snow! 🙂

4. Wendy says:

Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Vivian! You've read the first 250 words, haven't you? :)) I feel lucky to get such expert help.

5. Lauri Meyers says:

I think the book sounds great. I would scratch the last two lines – I couldn't imagine what Curious George meets a Bug's Life would entail.

6. Wendy Lawrence says:

First, thanks so much for those who voted for my pitch! I'm so excited! Second, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the title of this book. I would read the book before I even got to the pitch! And I love the concept. One thing I didn't really understand is Herman's role. He's described as rule-breaking, and yet in the pitch it says he's the one who DOESN'T drink. BUt it says he learns a lesson, so maybe he does. But if he does after all the other bugs do, that seems less rule-breaking and more like following the others. So maybe there is something I'm missing? I do think comparing the the book to a mix of others can be useful, but in this case, I'm not sure. I think Curious George is a good comparison, because we know immediately what that means–a curious character who gets into trouble but is probably good-hearted. But I don't know much about A Bug's Life, so that didn't help me as much. Good luck with the pitch and the story!

7. Yvonne Cynthia Mes says:

Yes, I would read it. I sounds fun and your pitch promises a great character. I was confused by the 'everyone sips except for …' and then '…why he shouldn't drink soda.' Unless you are implying that he gulped a lot more? It distracted me initially from the rest of your pitch. I think you packed a lot of information in your pitch, well done!

8. Iza Trapani says:

Your story sounds great and I am very curious! I think the pitch is a little confusing and I am not sure about using the word “heiney” in the tile (inside ok). Personally, I think it's hysterical, but some people may object to it and it may deter them from looking inside the book. You have quite an imagination!