Perfect Picture Book Friday – Fireman Small

Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, Everyone!

Just for a change, I’m on the road again!  But this time I managed to write my post before I left.  I hope you’re as impressed with me as I am 🙂

Today, in honor of the fact that I’m traveling with my boy, I’d like to share a book that I read to him approximately 3 million times when he was little 🙂

Fireman Small
Written & Illustrated By: Wong Herbert Yee
Houghton Mifflin, 1994, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 2-6

Themes/Topics: firefighters, helping others

Opening: “In the middle of town, where buildings stand tall
There lives a little man called Fireman Small.
The only firefighter this side of the bay,
Fireman Small works night and day.”

Brief Synopsis: Fireman Small wants nothing more than a good sleep, but as the only firefighter around, his work never seems to be done!

Links To Resources: HERE is a whole lesson plan on firefighting; Firetrucks and Firefighters from Enchanted Learning (coloring activities, crafts, and a game)

Why I Like This Book: Catchy rhyme, a plucky little fireman who always answers the call of duty no matter how tired he is, and sweet simple pictures make this a charming book that is fun to read aloud over and over… thank goodness because I have read it many, many times 🙂  Fireman Small is a model of helpfulness, and I love that the people he helps don’t forget to say thank you 🙂  This one has stood the test of time and many reading in our house – I hope you’ll enjoy it too!

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Before I send you all off on your merry way, I want to tell you that on Monday for Short & Sweets we’re going to have something a little different and special!  And that’s all I’m saying.  You won’t get another word out of me so don’t even try!  Nope.  Uh-uh.  My lips are sealed.  Just be sure to tune in Monday, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel 🙂

PPBF bloggers, please add your post-specific links to the list below so we can all come read your selections!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

52 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Fireman Small

1. patientdreamer says:

Three million times aye? I can see why. Such a cute story, love that manners are included. As our computor system is down at present the nice man on the other end of the phone when I rang up about it got me plugged in so I could post my PPBF tonight… 🙂 Aren't I lucky! Our system will go down again at midnight and not be back up again till he comes on at 11.30am tomorrow, when he will fix it. So with luck I will be up and all systems go on Monday to check out what the big surprise is here… lol.

I've got to say, Fireman Small sounds a great story to remind small readers of the importance of that job and of manners.

3. Heather Dent says:

I don't know what it is about firetrucks, but I don't know a single little boy who doesn't absolutely adore them. I worked at this day care once that was located in the center of Baltimore, and whenever a siren would go by one of the little boy's eyes would go wide and he'd whisper “firetruck” in a tone of reverence and awe.

4. Cathy Ballou Mealey says:

Our 3 million book was “The Big Red Barn” – luckily that was also fun to read aloud over and over! Fireman Small sounds perfect for all kids who love those shiny red trucks and wonderful community helpers!

5. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

You did not mention if the reading of this book was your choice, or your son's! – lol! The cover is endearing, and my heart already goes out to the lone fireman on his side of the bay. Look forward to finding this one!

6. Clarike Bowman-Jahn says:

You are ONE busy woman and MOM. You mother all of us followers, too.

I am going to be checking this book out. I don't know how I could have missed it when I was reading all about trucks to my boys. I know exactly what you mean about the myths of firemen. They are true heroes in real life and in the life of our five year olds. 🙂

7. Sue Heavenrich says:

I remember fireman small! loved reading that book to my kids…

And it looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this is a perfect day to share “Forest Has a Song” – I've got an interview with awesome poet Amy Ludwig VanDerwater over at my blog, too.

8. Iza Trapani says:

I am very impressed with you, Susanna- traveling Mom, writer and 3 times a week blogger. I don't know how you do it all!
    The book looks adorable. Happy travels!

9. Joanna Marple says:

I am always impressed with what you achieve in a day!! I so want to write a book like this that three year-olds beg for again and again! I also like fire engines and firemen/women. Always have!

10. Patricia Tilton says:

Our son is a fire chief and his three sons grew up reading lots of books on firemen. They would certainly have enjoyed this one! It sounds like it begs to be read repeatedly! Great choice!

11. Teresa Robeson says:

I've never seen that one before; it sounds really cute and I think my boys would have enjoyed it too when they were young. Wonder if they (at 15 and 17) would let me read it to them now? LOL!

12. Amy Ludwig VanDerwater says:

This book looks adorable! And what a wonderful Friday feature. I am honored to see my new book here. Thank you for this place to find well-loved picture books. Happy Friday! a.

Great little book, Susanna. I wasn't sure I'd be able to post an entry as I am in Chicago, awaiting the baby. 🙂 But my daughter-in-law gave me her computer for the afternoon, so here I am. 🙂 When I saw your entry, I had to dig back in the annuals of time and come up with the 'original' Fireman Small…the one Lois Lenski did back in 1946. I think books like this are great to initiate a conversation about fire safety and family emergency rules.

14. Stina Lindenblatt says:

Oh there's a brilliant example of a PB pitch. I'll have to remember that for the next ones we crit. It's short, has conflict, and is compelling.

15. rhythm says:

That Fireman Small sounds pretty special! Whew! How does he do it all?! I'm glad that the town people appreciate hiim! I'll have to check this book out! Thanks!

16. pennyklostermann says:

I hope my library has this book. I loved the rhyme 🙂

Hope you had safe travels, and I can't wait til tomorrow morning!! I'm going to sleep right now so it will get here fast!

17. tahir sumar says:

Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

It was my son's choice 🙂 but I didn't object a bit 🙂 The rhyme is so catchy, it's really fun to read aloud… “Quickly out of bed he scoots, jumps into his hat and boots…” – FUN!

Settings

19. Caryn says:

Looks like a cute book. I'm always a little amazed at the amount of
    firefighter picture books. Apparently it is a fascinating career, or at
    least a fun one to write and draw! Thanks for sharing!

There's something exciting about fire truck I guess, Caryn 🙂 Certainly my son thought so. For his 3rd birthday we were able to get a fire truck to come to the house and you should have seen the look of pure awestruck joy on his face when that truck pulled in the driveway 🙂

21. Tina says:

We love this book too, and I have girls! I'm also very impressed that you had this ready to post before you went on your trip! 🙂 Thanks for linking up with Booknificent Thursday! Looking forward to seeing what you’ve got this week!Tina