Would You Read It Wednesday #84 – Hurricane Enrique (PB)

Something Chocolate?

Why yes thank you, don’t mind if I do!

There’s nothing like a little chocolate mousse in the morning among friends!  Who’s with me?

You will notice I added some healthful and nutritious raspberries, which are especially good for you on account of the phenolic phytochemicals like ellagic acid, but also they taste really good with chocolate mousse 🙂

And speaking of chocolate mousse, does anyone remember Fred Gwynne?  (No, I am not off my rocker!  I’m going somewhere with this…)  He was Herman on The Munsters, and he played the southern Judge Chamberlain Haller in one of my all-time favorite movies, My Cousin Vinny (I highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn’t seen it – SO funny – but not for you for a few years, Erik – I think it’s rated R for language!)  ANYWAY, he also wrote several humorous picture books for children that illustrate idioms.  One of them happens to be called A Chocolate Moose For Dinner.  See?    I told you I was going somewhere with this.

That’s as far as I go, though.  Chocolate mousse reminds me of A Chocolate Moose For Dinner.  You should read it some time.  Maybe I’ll do it for Perfect Picture Books one of these days 🙂

Now, if you all could please get off the topic of chocolate mousse and on to something serious and important, I would like to announce the winner of the March Pitch Pick!

Duhn duhn-duhn duhn-duhn duhn DUHN!!! It was was ERIK!!! with his pitch for The Adventures Of Tomato And Pea!  Congratulations, Erik!  Your pitch has been sent to editor Erin Molta for her thoughts and comments 🙂  And congratulations to the other pitchers who also did an excellent job and in fact tied for the remaining votes that didn’t go to Erik!  Thank you all for bravely pitching your work.  It gives us all an opportunity to learn and improve.

Now, onto today’s pitch which comes to us from Deborah who says, “I’m a mother of five and Nana of three.  I’ve taught preschool and worked as a children’s librarian, but now I work as a companion to elderly folks. My writing has appeared in several children’s magazines, but my dream is to write a picture book that my grandkids will love.”

Working Title: Hurricane Enrique
The Pitch:  When a hurricane strikes, a young girl bravely rescues the awful dog that belongs to her dearest friend.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Deborah improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in June so you have time to polish your pitch for a chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Deborah is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to taking my dogs for a run in the sunshine.  Look at them.  They’re totally ready.

The weatherman promised sunshine today, and warm temperatures, and I intend to hold him to it.  There will be no chocolate mousse, with or without raspberries, for the weatherman if he doesn’t come through!

Have a great day, everyone! 🙂

72 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #84 – Hurricane Enrique (PB)

1. Wendy says:

Susanna, I want to kiss your pooches! I miss my walk buddies. 😦 It looks like Deborah got a LOT of advice. I'd echo the maybes who want to know a bit more (can't believe any dog deserves to be called “awful”!)

2. Patricia Tilton says:

Congratulations Erik! Will look forward to your critique.

Yes, I'd read it, but there is too much info missing. You received plenty of advice, so won't add mine. Just needs developing a little more so we have a sense of why she needs to rescue the dog.

I was teasing my doggies just a little, Genevieve 🙂 They are good sleepers, but they LOVE to go out, and if I don't get my derriere in gear fast enough they complain vociferously 🙂 Thanks for your comments for Deborah!

If you don't live too far away, you can come and smooch my doggies any time, Wendy 🙂 And maybe one of these days it will feel right for you to rescue a new walking buddy – my pups are rescue dogs and they're just the best in the world. Thanks for your comments for Deborah 🙂

5. Deborah Williams says:

Thanks, Tracy–I keep hearing editors don't like alliterative names (Bobby Bunny, Skyler Skunk, etc.) so I did change it, but to Hurricane Carlos. I had to research and make sure that name hadn't been taken by an actual hurricane, and isn't on the list for future ones. Thanks for your comment!

6. Lauri Meyers says:

Congratulations Erik!
    Unfortunately, children are facing more and more severe weather situations it seems these days, so that part of the book is relevant. The pitch for me is missing why she needs to save the dog or is in a situation where she can save the dog. Was there a fight and she needs to make it up to the friend? Is it during a sleepover?

7. Beth Stilborn says:

I'm late to the party, but had to say CONGRATULATIONS, ERIK!!!!

As for today's pitch, it's a maybe for me. It's definitely an important topic, but perhaps the pitch could have a little more punch to it? I'm not sure what to suggest, but I haven't read the comments, and I'm sure clever people have come up with awesome suggestions.

8. Teresa Robeson says:

LOL! I love sharing my baked goods! If you were my neighbor, you'd be on a sugar buzz all the time. LOL! I used to give everyone baked good for Christmas until people started going on diets; now I give handmade soaps and lotions which don't contribute to health issues. 😉