Perfect Picture Book Friday – Charlie The Ranch Dog

Hurray!  It’s Perfect Picture Book Friday!

And how nice to be back after 2 weeks off for the illustration contest!

I hope you will like today’s book as much as I do 🙂

Title: Charlie The Ranch Dog
Written By: Ree Drummond
Illustrated By: Diane deGroat
HarperCollins, April 2011, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 4-8

Themes/Topics: jobs/careers, working, perception, animals (dogs)

Opening: “Oh, hello.  My name is Charlie. I live in the country.  I’m a ranch dog.

Brief Synopsis: Charlie is a ranch dog.  He fixes fences, works in the garden, and helps his family out on the range.  A ranch dog’s work is never done!  Or is it?

Links To Resources: Charlie Maze, and recipe for Charlie’s favorite lasagna; Lesson Plans for Charlie (please scroll down until you see the book title); a fun look at the creation of Charlie; interview with the illustrator; YouTube read aloud of the story by the author.

Why I Like This Book: Well, for starters, you know how I love dog books 🙂  And this one is so much fun I really can’t help myself 🙂  Charlie says he fixes fences, gardens, and helps his family out on the range, but in fact his friend Suzie is the one who does all the work while Charlie naps, and naps some more, and indulges his love of bacon 🙂  He does manage to help for real at the end – but I won’t tell you how, that would be spoiling it!  Kids will enjoy the contradiction between words and illustrations, and also love that there is a chipmunk hidden on every page.  This is not an action-packed thrill ride, but it’s sweet and cute and funny 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF bloggers, please be sure to leave your post specific link in the list below so we can all come rave over your picks for this week and then descend on our local libraries!

Oh, and before we go, Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms among you! 🙂  If your house is like my house, it’s just possible that no one will offer to vacuum, do laundry, and cook on Sunday so that you can loll about eating bonbons on the couch, so here’s a little Mom’s day treat just for you 🙂

Now go have a wonderful weekend! 🙂

44 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Charlie The Ranch Dog

1. This_Kid_Reviews_Books_Erik says:

Charlie looks a lot like a certain dog I know and love… 😉 This book sounds awesome! I love the idea. 🙂

2. Joanna Marple says:

Happy Mother's Day, Susanna. I can't believe your youngest just turned seventeen! Those capybaras are just the best and Charlie looks an adorable read!

3. Rosalind Adam says:

I love dog books too… as long as they don't have a sad ending and so this one sounds right up my street.

Charlie sounds adorable, getting his paw into all the work…or so he says 🙂

Happy Mother's Day to you, Susanna.

5. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Love those photos! Happy Mother's Day to you too. I'll try to prep my family with a little sulking for help with garden work. Anyone want to place a bet? Yeah. Charlie is a cutie pie!

6. Laura Anne Miller says:

We ADORE this book! I read it originally about a year ago and have checked it out twice from the library. Happy Mother's Day to you and thank you for the delightful pics.

7. Teresa Robeson says:

The book sounds drolly hilarious! I actually know someone (nobody in our writers' circles!) who thinks she does a ton of stuff when she really just sits around and orders her husband to do everything. Not so funny when it's real life. ;P

Happy Mother's Day to you and all our writer mom friends! x

8. sue heavenrich says:

awww, what cute photos. And what a cute book. A “working” dog… who works kind of like my “working cats” worked. They were supposed to keep the mice and voles out of the garden. Instead, they pursued a career as mulch paperweights…. and I had to go after the potato-eating voles myself!

9. Joanne Roberts says:

Nice choice, Susanna. I love the books that have illustrated details that can be poured over. I love books that challenge kids to read between the lines. So it sounds like I love this book! (though I haven't ever read it) Thanks for the review!

Yes it is good to be back. Not that I mind the contests. I'm pretty much a newbie here, but I don't know how I lived without your empowering contests!

10. :Donna Marie says:

I've heard of this book before and it looks adorable. I didn't recall (my memory, not the reviewer's lack of description!) that the text contradicts the illustrations. I love that, too 🙂 One talented person who excels at that is Molly Idle!

Anyway, love the adorable mom/baby animal pics, and Happy Mother's Day to ALL you muthas out there 😀

11. Patricia Tilton says:

Love your choice. Very different dog book! I'm on vacation and have had a hard time getting on to blogspot and leaving a message. Happy Mother's Day.

12. Stacy S. Jensen says:

I read part of this book online when it was released. 🙂 Since I didn't read the note about the time off (because I was off), I posted two links today just to make sure they make the list. It's my month of penguin books. Hope you and all mothers have a great weekend!

It's funny, Donna. Charlie talks about all the work he's doing, but he's actually resting or outright napping in the illustrations while Suzie does all the work 🙂 Happy mother's day to you too!

I'm glad you like it, Laura. And my apologies if you happened to review it for PPBF and I missed that in my hurry. I was at Hudson Children's Book Festival last week and it was on display along with the newer one about Charlie's new baby or something, and it reminded me how much I liked it! Happy mother's day to you! 🙂

Hi Rosalind! So lovely to see you! 🙂 And now I feel like a slacker because I haven't been to visit you in ages! I will try to rectify that. Nope. No sadness in this book. Only naps and bacon 🙂 Have a wonderful Mother's Day! 🙂

16. Dawn Young says:

I haven't read this one yet but now I will for sure. Happy Mother's Day to you too Susanna. May your day be filled with all your favorite things, especially chocolate. Cute images.

17. Clarbojahn says:

Happy Mother's Day to you, too, Susanna! Those are incredubily cute photos that cuddle any mothers heart. Thanks so much!

This book sounds precious and I will look for it in my library.

Like Stacy, I did not know about the time off from PPBF so added three links today from my past PPBF days where I posted one on my blog. I hope this is the proper thing to do. Welcome back to PPBF, Susanna, although I know the illustrators contest was hugely popular and a big success. 🙂

18. Cupcake says:

Mom and I LOVE Charlie the Ranch Dog. He is a good helper – like me. Also Mom loves Ree Drummond. Her blog is super fun, and her cooking show is awesome. Someday, Mom is thinking about cooking something…..

Love and licks,
    Cupcake

I'm sorry you didn't know, Clar. I did post it several times so people would be aware. But yes, of course, just add to today. I hope you got to see some of the art from the illustration contest – it was really fabulous! Happy Mother's Day 🙂

20. Lovable Lobo says:

A belated Happy Mother's Day to you, Susanna! Who wouldn't love Charlie? “The Pioneer Woman” is multi-talented, with her books, cooking show, etc. Thanks for sharing this adorable story and the heart warming animal pics.