Perfect Picture Book Friday – You Are (Not) Small

Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, Everyone!

I spent easily half my week writing a picture book which is not working and which at this point I hate a little bit πŸ™‚ Β Why is it that an idea which seems so good when it starts out in your head can turn out so badly when you get it on paper? Β I still feel like there’s a kernel of good story in there somewhere, but darned if I can find it right now πŸ™‚

Ah, well, at least I have a lovely, fun picture book (not mine :)) to share with you today!

Title: You Are (Not) Small
Written By: Anna Kang
Illustrated By: Christopher Weyant
Two Lions, August 2014, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 2-6

Themes/Topics: Differences, Perspective, Humor

Opening: “‘You are small.’
‘I am not small. Β You are big.’
‘I am not big. Β See?’

Brief Synopsis: Two creatures (whose fur, noses, and expressions suggest that they are indeed closely related) argue over who is small and who is big. Β But it’s really all in how you look at it πŸ™‚

Links To Resources: Kids Activity Guide with printable growth chart; Classroom Guide for K-1st with Common Core Standards; start a discussion on the difficulty and/or desirability of establishing standards; read with Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal – how are these books alike? how are they different?

Why I Like This Book: Β This book is short and simple, yet it manages to convey an important message with humor. Β I dare you not to laugh at the end πŸ™‚ Β In 91 words, it manages to get across the idea that we can be big and small at the same time, and in spite of our perceived differences we have much in common. Β The art is appealing, and the characters’ expressions speak volumes. Β For anyone who has ever felt too little (or too big), this is the perfect story.

For the complete list of books with resources, please visitΒ Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF bloggers please be sure to leave your post-specific link in the list below so we can all come visit you! Β Can’t wait to see what other wonderful picture books will be on the list this week!

Have a wonderful first weekend of Autumn, everyone! πŸ™‚

50 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – You Are (Not) Small

1. bgruener says:

How fun … that you're writing a picture book … and to discover this adorable (little) nugget on your page this morning! Thank you for another awesome lead.

2. sue heavenrich says:

how cute – it sounds like a wonderful way to show how perceptions differ depending on who you are. At our house: this is too spicy! No it's not – pass the hot sauce.

3. Joanna Marple says:

Keep at it, your kernel that is. I was on an 8th draft of one this week, and still playing with that kernel. I love the sound of this one, I can picture it and the language is so kid like!

4. Kirsten Larson says:

Oh, and I have a PB I started two years ago and rewrote twice this week. Still … not …. working. Right there with you, Susanna!

5. Clarbojahn says:

First the work of writing, then the work of publishing. Susan and I just finally got a proof back on Edmund Picke Chin yesterday. And it was full of errors. Now to wait for the next one.

Keep up the good work, Susanna.

I love “You are not small” I Love how two ideas can be said in such few words. It shows the illos are just right.

6. Joanne Sher says:

Looks delightful, Susanna! And a great message. May have to give it a look. Thanks! And praying you can find the nugget in YOUR story and make it bloom into a regular goldmine. πŸ˜€

7. Robyn Campbell says:

I'll buy this book too. Geez, this is the third book today that is a must-have for me. It sounds adorable.

I've done that before more than once, Suz. But if you feel in your gut there's a story in there. Look at it again. Read it aloud. Send it to me. I might be able to see what you cannot.

xoxoxoxo

8. Julie Rowan - Zoch says:

Sounds like a good 'un. I wonder about the good ideas that seem to avoid revelation too! As usual, it's me, not the idea though! But we keep hacking away, don't we. Here's to a better week for you, and a relaxing one for me visiting my parents. Cheers!

9. Teresa Robeson says:

I think all of us writers have that problem at least once a week: what seemed like a brilliant idea totally fizzles by the time we put “the end” on the first draft. Sometimes, it takes editors and agents to dissuade us of the notion, which is even less fun.

What a cute, cute book! I'll look for it too.

Have a wonderful weekend!

10. JillSF1959 says:

Oh dear. I do know about those doldrums. Time to get out the 150 hp engine and make for the closest continent. Maybe you'll find some tropical island on the way, and it will all come to you as you sit, drinking mai tais under a palm tree on a white sand beach.

re: You Are (Not) Small Awwwwwwww. very cute!

11. :Donna Marie says:

I LOVE this book, too, Susanna πŸ™‚ I've been seeing it all over the place the past few weeks and the unexpected pleasure of meeting the author and illustrator (wife and husband) at a recent event. REALLY lovely, down-to-earth and extraordinarily talented people πŸ™‚ I just got the book from the library and plan to buy it. And yes—GREAT ending! lol
    P.S. Work on a different idea for now πŸ˜‰

12. Genevieve says:

Yup. This IS a cute one to share. Bummer about the idea in your head torturing you on paper. Been there. Done that. Didn't like it. Tomorrow is another day.

Yeah, Teresa, I have to agree. It's bad enough when you recognize that your own idea isn't working. It's far worse when you're convinced you've written the next New York Times Bestselling Picture Book and you agent and/or editor disagree…. and then a few months later you take another look at that brilliant ms and realize they were right! πŸ™‚ Enjoy your weekend! πŸ™‚

I know it, Jarm! I am in awe of anyone who can write a story worth reading in under 100 words. It is a goal for me πŸ™‚ We will all be happy to see you whenever you're ready for PPBF, but in the meantime it's lovely to see you here on Fridays commenting πŸ™‚

You're very kind, Rob, but I'm not sure there's anything to see in this case. I'm afraid it's a case of a story gone wrong… or maybe a story that was never really a story… But I'll mull on it and let it roll around in my head for a while. Sometimes that helps πŸ™‚ Thanks for the offer – if I ever get it to a stage where I can stand for anyone to read it I'll keep you in mind πŸ™‚

It's very cute πŸ™‚ And I haven't given up on the kernel yet… you never know… it might still turn into something. I'm still thinking about Sarah Marquis from reading your FB article this AM – she is something! If she can hike across Mongolia I guess I can keep at my little story for a while longer πŸ™‚

So happy to add this book to my list of 'why didn't I write that' books. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ I didn't think I'd get a book reviewed for this week…but then realized that no one seems to have done Julie Hedlund's new one…the perfect bedtime/anytime I need to tell you I love you book.
    Sorry you are having frustrating moments (or hours) with your writing…I just realized I have to change the beginning, middle and end of a non fiction pb I wrote…did a bit more research and now it is just not right. 😦 Glad I hadn't subbed it yet. πŸ™‚

I don't HAVE Julie's book yet! Still awaiting its arrival! SO I'm glad you're doing it. Sorry to hear about your nonfic PB – frustrating! – but you're right – at least you hadn't subbed it. Good luck with it, Vivian!

I'm sure you've had more than your fair share of frustrating pb story stories. πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ It's all good, as my son used to say when he was in high school. πŸ˜‰