I was going to be so succinct and just get right to Would You Read It today, and you were going to be so proud of me for my extreme brevity… I had it all planned out…
I have to squeeze in a teensy Halloweensie Contest update!!!
Remember how I told you that the prizes kept rolling in?
Here’s what our goody bag of prizes looks like now! (words in color are links for more info)
– Julie Hedlund‘s fantastic new course How To Make Money As An Author, interesting, educational and suitable for writers at any stage of their career
– a 2015 membership to Children’s Book Insider, an absolutely fabulous resource for kid lit writers of all kinds generously offered by Jon Bard and Laura Backes
– a picture book manuscript critique from the renowned Alayne Christian (prose only, 800 words or less)
Alayne Kay Christian is an award winning author of BUTTERFLY KISSES FOR GRANDMA AND GRANDPA. She is represented by Erzsi Deak of Hen&Ink Literary Studio. To read more about Alayne, her critique service, and her books visit her websites and blog.
– a picture book manuscript critique (rhyme or prose) from Penny Parker Klostermann who, after extensive experience critiquing for writing partners, members of various kid lit groups, and clients of Erin Murphy Literary Agency, is opening her own critique service!!!
– an e-pub or PDF copy (winner’s choice) of Linda Ashman‘s Nuts And Bolts Guide To Writing Picture Books
– a personalized signed copy of I WANNA GO HOME by Karen Kaufman Orloff, the latest in the brilliant PB series that began with I WANNA IGUANA.
– a personalized signed copy of NINJA RED RIDING HOOD by Corey Rosen Schwartz, the riveting follow-up to THE THREE NINJA PIGS.
– a PDF copy of Ryan Sias’s A Spooky-Doodle E-Book, “doodle pages, drawing lessons and writing prompts inspire kids to invent their own stories, characters and artwork.”
And I’d like to clarify (because I got asked) that people who donate prizes are still eligible to enter the contest! Just, if they win, I won’t give them their own prize 🙂
And that is 10 prizes now, all very generously donated! So I’m hoping we’ll get at least 10 entries 🙂
Okay! Now back to our regularly scheduled programing. (Brevity is overrated anyway… :))
Since I know you’re all revved up at the prospect of all those amazing prizes, and are going to run right off to your favorite writing corner and get to work on your entries as soon as you’ve commented for today’s WYRI pitcher, let me fortify you with a little Something Chocolate! 🙂
Since Halloween is coming, it’s important that we embrace the occasion in our chocolate snacks. Today (don’t be scared!) we have Spooky Boo Brownies!!!
|Find the recipe HERE if you want to give these scary delights a try! 🙂|
Oooh! So spooky! . . . and chocolatey and delicious 🙂
Now then, today’s pitch comes to us from Debbie who says, “I have been writing all my life but have been more serious about it in the last 5 years, joining groups like SCBWI and Julie Hedlund’s 12 X 12, taking courses like MPBM (Making Picture Book Magic), and attending conferences. Susanna’s knowledge, generosity, and encouragement make this group essential to my writing life. Thank you, Susanna! And thank you all in advance for your feedback.”
(Debbie’s website will be up soon, and when it is, I’ll let you know where to find her! :))
Here is her pitch:
Working Title: Your Friend, Conrad
Age/Genre: Picture Book (ages 4-8)
The Pitch: Conrad receives an invitation to visit his best friend Fiona. She tells him he’ll need to bring a sword, a bow and arrow, and … exactly ten marshmallows?! Conrad bravely sets out not knowing that the path will lead him into a leaky boat, past pesky ravens, through prickly brambles, and to the edge of a moat where a sweets-loving dragon lurks in the deep. Will this unlikely hero have the wits (and enough marshmallows) to make it to Fiona’s front door?
So what do you think? Would You Read It? YES, MAYBE or NO?
Debbie is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch! I think I said this last week (and I’ll probably say it next week :)) but I am looking forward to the Halloweensie Contest! I seriously can’t wait to read what y’all come up with, and I also can’t wait to give away all these lovely and amazing prizes! Let’s have a round of applause for our very generous donors! 🙂
Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!!! 🙂