Perfect Picture Book Friday – Maple & Willow Together

Whoopee!  It’s the first Perfect Picture Book Friday of 2015!

Isn’t it wonderful to look forward to all the books we’re going to share this year?  Think of all the new titles that will come out!  Sadly, mine will not be one of them, as it has been pushed back to Summer 2016, but that just gives me something special to look forward to next year 🙂

I have a lovely book to share today, one that those of you who have just spent a couple weeks with all your kids home for the holidays may find especially appropriate 🙂

Title: Maple & Willow Together
Written & Illustrated By: Lori Nichols
Nancy Paulsen Books/Penguin, November 2014, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 3-8

Themes/Topics: sibling relationships, family, fighting/making up

Opening: “Maple and her little sister, Willow, were always together.  It was hard to remember a time when the girls weren’t together.  In fact, their parents even wondered if the girls had their own language.  And in a way, they did.

Brief Synopsis: Maple and Willow do everything together, which works out just fine most of the time.  But sometimes big sisters can be bossy, and sometimes little sisters want to do things their own way, and sometimes that leads to trouble.  In the end, though, Maple and Willow would rather be together than apart 🙂

Links To Resources: Story Hour Activity Kit from Lori Nichols, and here’s the trailer: (at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXhe9jvpVds in case it doesn’t embed properly! :))

Why I Like This Book: Although Joanna beat me to reviewing Maple for PPBF, I am a huge fan. This book is the sequel, and it’s equally sweet and touching – a spot-on glimpse of sibling relationships.  The description and depiction of Maple and Willow’s time together is lovely and evocative – very true to childhood.  When they inevitably get into a fight (because really, would you believe a sibling relationship where they never fought? :)) their anger and hurt are clear.  But it doesn’t take much time apart before they’re longing for each other’s company again, the fight over and forgotten.  For any child who has a sibling, this is a nicely done reminder that arguments are normal, that it’s okay to be mad sometimes, and that ultimately it’s wonderful to have a sibling to be with. (P.S. I just realized that Joanna also beat me to reviewing this one, so apologies for duplicating!)

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF bloggers please be sure to leave your post-specific link in the list below so we can all come visit you!  I can’t wait to see what’s on your favorites list this week!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! 🙂

47 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Maple & Willow Together

1. Joanne Sher says:

Susanna – this looks absolutely lovely! Definitely requesting it from my library. You always have such lovely picks! Enjoy your weekend!

2. Carrie Finison says:

I loooove the Maple and Willow books! This was actually going to be my pick for next week – you beat me to it! Just bought these for my niece who will soon be a big sister.

3. Andrea says:

I'm looking forward to reading this one! It looks so sweet. I haven't read Maple, either, but it's a finalist for the Cybils so I'm definitely planning to!

4. bgruener says:

Ooo, I hadn't seen this one yet and now I'm super curious! A counselor never can get enough sibling resources, that's for sure. Thanks, Susanna, and congrats on your picture book!

5. Patricia Tilton says:

Such a lovely book for young children. Sibling rivalry and relationships are so important in a child's development. The place they learn how to work things out and continue to love each other. The illustrations are so cute.
    Congratulations on your new picture book!

6. Rosi says:

Absolutely adorable. I will definitely check this out and the first book, Maple, as well. Thanks for telling me about these.

7. JillSF1959 says:

Wow! Makes me feel like I missed out on not having a sister! Older brothers aren't the same. 😀 Love the trailer!

8. Clarbojahn says:

So great to have sisters! I wouldn't do without mine. Such a great message. Love the book selection.

Don't worry about being duplicates, Susanna. It is worth it. I see a book above that I have done once an d if I Didn't I should have because I mention it in my first picture book, Annie's Special Day!! lol So we could all be sisters here and enjoy each other and if we feel the slighest bit peeved forgive. 🙂

I know, Clar! You did Owl Moon WAY back in the beginning – so long ago that I KNOW it's on the list 🙂 And yes – what would we do without our sisters? Perhaps I chose this book this week subconsciously because I'm missing my sister who just went home after the holidays!

10. MegMillerWrites says:

ACK! I didn't know there was a sequel! Maple was such a dear book, can't wait to read this one. Thanks Sus!! 😀

Yay for Perfect Picture Book Friday! Thank you for a lovely book recommendation, Susanna…and thank you for continuing this wonderful series of picture book reviews and activities. I am scrambling to get mine up. 😉

12. This_Kid_Reviews_Books_Erik says:

This sounds like a marvelous book on siblings. But-

*dramatic pause*

*dramatic pause*

*unpause*
    -it's fake! Me and Josie NEVER (ever ever ever) fight! Nope. Not at all. Nada. Zilch. Never. NO fighting. 😉

13. :Donna Marie says:

I love the “Maple” books, too, Susanna, and totally agree with your review of it 🙂 You hit the sibling–um, the nail–on the head with that one 😉

14. Janet Johnson says:

So I'm trying something new. I used Google Chrome to get to your blog, and look! I can comment. Yay! This sounds like the perfect book for my boys (who can't stop arguing, but don't really want to be apart, either). I'll have to add it to the list (which is so long . . . but that's why I love PB's so much! So it may skip to the front of the line). 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful day!

Hurray, Janet! THRILLED you can comment!!! (Just sorry you have to switch browsers to do it!) I'm glad you like the look of the book – it's a very sweet one – maybe a little too sweet for your boys, but you never know 🙂