Perfect Picture Book Friday – Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn

It’s official!

According to the calendar (if ย not the 86 degree weather forecast) it is autumn!

Time for foliage that makes even rainy days bright, wooly sweaters, apple crisp, and the tang of woodsmoke in the air ๐Ÿ™‚

And little piggies on park benches, apparently!

img_2005

I was lucky enough to have lunch with my dear friend, the delightful Elaine of Kidlit411 fame, yesterday and outside on the bench was this cutie-pie little piggy. ย Her name is Missy Lou. ย She is 4 months old and is a teacup pig so she won’t grow much bigger than this. ย Infinitely pick-up-and-cuddleable and already litter box trained. ย Who knew???!!! ย I think I’m a little in love ๐Ÿ™‚

There are no little piggies in my Perfect Picture Book for today (more’s the pity ๐Ÿ™‚ ) but I knew you guys would want to see her anyway ๐Ÿ™‚

Now then, onto today’s Perfect Picture Book which, in spite of its dearth of little piggies, is a lovely book about welcoming autumn!

goodbye-summer

Title: Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn

Written & Illustrated By: Kenard Pak

Henry Holt & Co, August 2016, fiction based on fact

Suitable For Ages: publisher says 4-7, but I think 3-7 would also work.

Themes/Topics: seasons (summer, autumn), nature

Opening: “Hello, late summer morning.

Brief Synopsis: A child takes a walk greeting the trees, birds, animals, insects, and even weather as he goes, and each one tells him how it is preparing for autumn.

Links To Resources: brainstorm a list of signs of autumn; take a walk outdoors and look for signs of autumn; press leaves; make leaf collages; animal leaf collage (the few words are in Spanish but it’s a video and everything is demonstrated so you can understand no problem and the animals are cute ๐Ÿ™‚ ); go apple or pumpkin picking; make delicious things out of apples and pumpkins :); apple recipes

Why I Like This Book: This is a lovely simple book about observing the way summer melts into autumn and how nature prepares. ย The child talks to the elements of nature – trees and flowers, animals, birds and insects, even the weather – and they answer back.
Hello, trees.”
Hello! ย Now that the cool winds have come,
we love how our branches sway in the sun.
The art is lovely – the vivid greens of summer turning into the gold, orange, red and brown of fall with each successive page. ย A simple pretty book to facilitate discussion and understanding of the changing season.

screen-shot-2016-09-22-at-8-36-51-pm

Text and Illustration Copyright Kenard Pak 2016

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do ๐Ÿ™‚

For the complete list of books with resources, please visitย Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF folks, please add your titles and post-specific links (and any other info you feel like filling out ๐Ÿ™‚ ) to the form below so we can all come see what fabulous picture books you’ve chosen to share this week!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ย Go pick some apples and then come back here and share your favorite apple recipes ๐Ÿ™‚

33 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn

1. viviankirkfield says:

WOW…you are an early bird today, Susanna..or maybe, like me, you haven’t been to sleep yet. I knew I’d need to keep going tonight or otherwise, this wasn’t going to get done.
    I love your PPBF selection…couldn’t be more perfect! And I’d love to go apple picking…I went last year with my grandson and we had a ball!

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

Vivian, my goodness! You are a night owl I think! I don’t sleep much these days, but even I was asleep at 3:43! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you like the selection, and I think you and I should plan an apple picking trip that ends with us making apple crisp – it would be a good excuse to get together! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. elainekielykearns says:

I loved waking up to this post, Susanna! I had a lovely time with you yesterday, as always. I do think we need to adopt Missy as our kid lit mascot. What do you think?

What a perfect PPBF selection, even though I am always sad to see summer go.

xo E.

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

I didn’t even know you read my posts, Elaine! I’m so touched! Thank you again for lunch yesterday – it was lovely! And before we adopt Missy I think we’d better watch the video that Wendy included in her comment… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

Simplicity, Pat, is the perfect word for this book. But it’s pretty and the language nice and it’s a great springboard for encouraging kids to observe the natural world around them. Looking forward to seeing your choice for this week!

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

It is a sweet and pretty book, Joanna! And Elaine and I would both love it if you would come have lunch WITH us! But I’ve lost track of your wanderings and have a feeling you no longer live in our neck of the woods… ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

Hi Joanne! I’m glad you like the book! I love the art – so beautifully done with the colors and light. I picked the book initially for it’s title because it seemed so fitting for today and got drawn in…but I don’t know the author/illustrator or whether he’s done any other books. I should check!

3. Diane Tulloch says:

A beautiful book for this PPBF choice Susanna. Funny that you are saying its Autumn when for us its the beginning of Spring. Tomorrow we start daylight saving here as well. I so love the long summer evenings. The little pig you met up with is such a cutie. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Susanna Leonard Hill says:

I’ll check the link, Wendy ๐Ÿ™‚ But I’m already laughing because I have a friend who had a “miniature” pot-bellied pig who grew to be 300 pounds – I kid you not! ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy the apples and whatever you make out of them ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Gabi Snyder says:

Wow — the illustrations are gorgeous and perfectly capture the warm light and swirling leaves of autumn. Apple picking sounds lovely; I think apple crisp is just about the best (non-chocolate) dessert ever.