Would You Read It Wednesday #380 – But When She Opens The Door… (PB)

How great is today? It’s Would You Read It Wednesday AND the weather people say it’s going to be sunny and 52 degrees! Can you imagine? A little taste of spring after all these weeks of snow and ice and cold. Here on Blueberry Hill we are ready! Scout and Violet and I are putting on our sunglasses, getting out the lotion, and preparing to work on our tans! ๐Ÿ˜Š

And the only thing that can make this warm, sunny, spring-like day better?

You guessed it!

Something Chocolate!

Since we’re feeling springy and it’s nearly St. Patrick’s Day, we will be serving Pistachio And Chocolate Leprechaun Cookies!!

Pistachio And Chocolate Leprechaun Cookies

Now then, onto today’s pitch – a good one for March, with changeable weather and St. Patrick’s Day around the corner! Itย comes to us from Robin. Award winning author Robin Currie learned story sharing by sitting on the floor. At libraries and churches in the Chicago area she has engaged children and their parents with stories full of noise, action, and energy. A professional librarian and editor, Robin writes stories to read and read again!

Find her on the web at
www.robincurrie.net

Working Title: But When She Opens The Door…

The Pitch: On a March day in Ireland, the fickle weather shifts from sun to wind to rain to snow. In rollicking read aloud rhyme, Katie O’Shea (watched by her cat Shamrock) changes clothes until a look at the calendar reveals the perfect outfit!

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Robin improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)

Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on Would You Read it in the dropdown under For Writers in the bar above.  There are openings in April, so you could get your pitch up pretty soon for helpful feedback and a chance to have it read and commented on by editor Erin Molta!

Robin is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch! ย I’d like to say I am looking forward to lying on the back porch in the sun doing nothing, but as I have editorial deadlines I had gosh darn well better be writing! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š

33 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #380 – But When She Opens The Door… (PB)

1. Norah says:

Yes, I would read it. The changeable weather is so true of Ireland. I love Shamrock as the name of the cat, and I’m intrigued to know just what the perfect outfit will be.
    I wouldn’t mind some of those pistachio and white chocolate cookies as well. ๐Ÿ˜Š

2. Katie Engen says:

A unique take on the evergreen subjects of weather, functional living skills, and most likely St. Patty’s Day. I’d like to know a bit more about why Shamrock is mentioned. Is the cat just watching or is there humor or a shared story in its expressions/reactions? Does this help or hinder Katie?

• robincurrie1 says:

I love Shamrock! He currently adds to the humor of reactions to changing weather “when she opens the door…” Thanks.

3. Deborah Buschman says:

Yes, I would read it. I can see this being used in a classroom to talk to kids about weather and how cute that the outfits continue to change. I wonder what she ends up wearing.

4. palpbkids says:

This sounds like a story that kids would read again and again!
    It has all the right components:
    Weather. What to wear. A cat. Can’t beat the lure of Ireland! And rhyme!!
    I bet it will appeal to kids not only for those reasons, because I have the feeling
    you write from the heart.
    The only concern I have is with all the weather/climate changes today, the calendar doesn’t seem to be a good predictor anymore.
    Happy writing and Best Wishes!

• robincurrie1 says:

Ah – the mystery! What calendar even in March in Ireland could trump the weather forecast? You got it! Thanks!

5. Deborah Foster says:

Yes, I would read it! As a mom with kids old enough to pick out their own clothes, I hope this comes with a little message about dressing appropriately for the weather! I only have one suggestion and that would be to add a word…
    Katie Oโ€™Shea (watched by her cat Shamrock) *keeps changing* clothes until a look at the calendar reveals the perfect outfit!
    With just the word “changes” I feel like she only does it once? Does she change clothes multiple times? Hope you find a home for this one! Can’t wait to read it!

6. ptnozell says:

Yes, I’d read this, Robin. You brought back vivid memories of living in Dublin where multiple different layers were often necessary for a simple seaside stroll with the pups. I did find the parenthetical reference to the cat disrupting, though, so I’d suggest introducing Katie and the cat in the first sentence:
    On a March day in Ireland, KATIE O’SHEA AND HER CAT, SHAMROCK, WATCH the fickle weather SHIFT from sun to wind to rain to snow. In rollicking read aloud rhyme, Katie changes clothes until a look at the calendar reveals the perfect outfit!

Susanna, fingers crossed that this balmy weather is here to stay, at least for the next few days!

7. mona861 says:

Yes, I would read this. I feel like the ending is a bit too much of a give away if she’s seeing St Patrick’s Day. How about something like-she can’t decide what to wear until she looks at the calendar? That way you’re not “revealing” too much.

8. Genevieve Petrillo says:

I would definitely read this! I feel a little like Katie some days. It’s tough to get the outfit right for the weather. Does she dress the cat? Maybe the illustrator needs to do that… I am in charge of dressing my dog Cupcake. She gets it right more often than I do. Good luck!

• robincurrie1 says:

The cat would be great fun for the illustrator. I see it reacting to all the weather changes but maybe early on he could point to the calendar? Thanks.

9. Judy Sobanski says:

I would definitely read this, Robin! Since it’s written in rhyme, it really lends itself to being a fun read aloud. I did wonder if you should connect the title somehow in the pitch? Maybe not. Just something to think about. Best of luck!

• robincurrie1 says:

Yeah – the title has been through several permutation: “Katie O’Shea and the Fickle Winds of March” was another recent try. Thanks.

10. Jamie Donahoe says:

I would take a quick look (I’ll read almost anything!) but suggest strengthening the pitch a bit.

Something like “until she realises she should be dressing according to the calendar rather than according to the weather” seems a bit more appealing, and a bit less “girly” than “until a look at the calendar reveals the perfect outfit!” The use of parentheses is also a bit off-putting – can Shamrock be tagged as her assistant rather than the more passive watcher?

Agree with others that some of the pitch might rhyme and be rollicking to reflect the flavour of the text itself.

Curious to see what is appropriate attire for St Patrick’s Day!

11. Elizabeth LaGrange Muster says:

Yes, I would read it. I feel like it’s difficult to find St. Patrick’s Day books to read aloud in my school library other than “How to Trap a Leprechaun.”

12. robincurrie1 says:

Agreed – after years of being THAT LIBRARIAN searching for St Pat’s books – and read aloud at that! Thanks.

13. betlw says:

Maybe–If the only problem is what to wear- that isn’t an earth shaking problem to solve. Is there something more vital that she is worrying about? The problem is supposed to be something the reader cares about being solved. Most kids wouldn’t care what she’s wearing. Maybe she can come up with something a bit meatier to make the reader wonder.

14. Nadine Poper says:

Yes, I would read it. From this pitch I get a sense of your story’s charm (Shamrock, Katie O’Shea, constant changing of the clothes which can be funny if she is over the top with it). I think you have a great start here.

Happy Spring (soon) everyone.

• robincurrie1 says:

I have been amazed at the recent interest in Leprechaun tracks and gifts and all things green! Hope the time is right for an editor somewhere.

15. syorkeviney says:

Yes Robin!! I would definitely read this book! In your pitch you have transported us to a place, a time and a character who promises to be a bit of a handful with her clothes dilemma. I envision her pile of clothes growing larger with each change and Shamrock appearing and disappearing in the discarded clothing pile as Katie’s search finding clothes that get more wonderful than the one before!

• robincurrie1 says:

I am always surprised to see how the illustrator takes my words and gives them life. Can’t wait to “see” Shamrock!