A Special Short And Sweet With Ryan Sias!

Good Morning, Everyone!

I’m sure you’ll all be glad to know that despite my advanced age I’m still able to type ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much for all the lovely birthday wishes and cards and special pictures and banners… ooh, in case you didn’t see the banner I’ll put it here!

isn’t this awesome? it even has Phyllis! with chocolate!
banner created by the amazing and talented Julie Rowan-Zoch

Oh! ย And a coffee mug warmer from one very astute and thoughtful blog reader (thank you Caroline! :)) ย I am so lucky to have so many wonderful friends. ย You are all so incredibly nice, and you made my birthday very special! ๐Ÿ™‚

And now, I have something special for you!

Fun creativity projects for kids! ย Click HERE

Ryan Sias

Rian Sias, who has worked in animation for 20 years and is the talented author/illustrator of Go Greenie! Are You Eating Something Red?, Balloon Toons: Zoe And Robot, Let’s Pretend, andย Go Greenie! Are You Eating Something Green? (36 Color-And-Learn Placemats) has started a new venture for kids which I think parents and teachers will enjoy knowing about!

Ryan says, “I wanted to let you know about a fun, art education email program I have created called Siasstudios.com.

I love drawing with kids and letting them finish my drawings. ย They come up with wild and crazy ideas which make me laugh. ย So I started this for all my nieces and nephews who live in other cities, and now have opened it up to the world!

Here’s an example of one of Ryan’s free art projects

My goal with Sias Studios is to foster creative development in children by giving them 100% free weekly art projects that engage their creativity. ย The projects have imaginative coloring pages, zany story prompts, unique drawing lessons, and wacky characters. ย All of my material is silly and fun, which I believe creates positive art experiences.”

And here is how one child finished it!

You can subscribe to this free, weekly creativity prompt by going HERE. ย Sign up and then sit back and let the fun projects roll in! ย Sias Studios activities are recommended for ages 4-11, or anyone who wants to have fun ๐Ÿ™‚ ย Here are a few more examples:

Here is another project…

And here is one child’s interpretation ๐Ÿ™‚

Here’s a link to a whole page of waffle fun CLICK HERE!
And here is a fun drawing lesson:)
I hope you’ll all take a moment to check out Ryan’s offerings and pass the word along to friends, family, your children’s teachers… anyone you think might be interested! ย Ryan has a great sense of what appeals to young artists and his drawings and activities are always fun!
And now, for today’s Short & Sweet, one of Ryan’s prompts!
badge created by the lovely and talented Loni Edwards

Take a look at that fierce viking aboard his dragon boat and write the first sentence (or 3 :)) of a story in the comment section below!
Here’s my example:)ย
“Faster! Faster!” cried Shigvid, doing a small jig of rage on his ship’s bow. ย “Brunhilda cannot get away with this!”
I hope you’ll all get a chance to hop over to Ryan’s place, and I hope you’ll enjoy the prompt! ย I look forward to reading your story openings! ย And thank you all again for all the lovely birthday presents and wishes – you are the best! ๐Ÿ™‚

57 thoughts on “A Special Short And Sweet With Ryan Sias!

1. Lauri Meyers says:

Shigvid finished his chocolate cake and searched high and low for the surprise birthday person. When he sheepishly realized it was the sneaky baker pulling the wool over his eyes again, he set sail to wish her the best birthday ever.

(Happy Birthday! I really need to have gullible gland looked at by a professional.)

Glad you enjoyed your birthday!
    What Ryan is offering is wonderful, something great to get the creative juices for younger peeps ๐Ÿ˜‰

For Short and Sweet: “With the speed of the winds, I shall find the other half of my hat.” Shigvid stuffed his hands on his fluffy hips, thinking hard on which sheepish bud he'd find with his horn.

3. coleen patrick says:

I'm slightly out of the recommended age range, but I subscribed anyway. I love doodles, illustration,and all that fun visual stuff.
    Oh and can my comment count as my entire story opener? I've had coffee, but no chocolate yet. My creativity isn't quite awake yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Teresa Robeson says:

Love Julie's birthday banner! It really says a lot about you just how many people love you, Susanna!

Short and Sweet: “Everyone knows you should never take a Viking by the horns; everyone except for Shigivd's mortal enemy Shvolfgang. But Shigvid is sailing off to settle the score with him once and for all!”

5. Jill Proctor says:

Glad your birthday was bright! And what a fun art opportunity for kids Ryan is offering!

Short and Sweet: “I can't do a thing with my hair. I must get to the salon by opening time!”

6. Cheryl Secomb says:

Shigvid of Ozark stood tall on his dragon ship as it sliced through the choppy sea.
    The villagers called him the bravest Viking of them all.
    And he was.
    He fought fiery dragons
    And slippery sea serpents
    And terrifying beasts of all kinds.
    He feared nothing!
    Except…
    Kittens.
    Not because of their growl or their teeth or their claws.
    But because of the soft feeling they stirred inside Shigvid's chest.
    And Vikings must be fierce!

7. Catherine Johnson says:

Super banner from Julie! She is so sweet and clever! Glad you had a lovely birthday x
    What fun to have these visual prompts, go Ryan!
    Shigvid was not fooled by the wolf in sheep's clothing that met him in the port. He tried to fox the wolf by pulling his own wool off, but he only managed to disguise himself in a sweater.

“Make waves, Mighty Dragonboat! Get me to the Viking helmet repair shoppe before they close or I'll cut out your timbers to repair this broken horn!”

Love the birthday banner, Susanna…Julie is mega-talented!
    I'll hop over to Ryan's website as soon as I can…I love how he is encouraging kids to be creative. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Pamela Courtney says:

“Thar she blo…See here, now! Did ye jest take a nash out of me horn there ladyt?”
    The dragon stared ahead, then offered a faint smile.
    Shigvid shouted, “Me stance is all off kilter now.” Then in a surprised voice, “Wait, I am hearing much better. Aaarrrgh, what might ye be chewing thar Dragon me dear?”

Thank you so much for sharing Ryan's site with us. This is going to add great fun to our literacy engagements. I wonder if there's a way other microsoft outlook to retrieve his stuff. Anyhoo, can't wait to start enjoying this with the kids. BTW, our Julie really rocks, doesn't she?

10. This Kid Reviews Bks says:

Hmm… (again) (Shigvid is a sheep in Norway… a VIKING sheep!)

CRACK! “Oh no!” wailed Shigvid the UnSheared “How will I get to the RAM-BAM-Ram-Filled-Ship-athon NOW? My Goat-Boat hit a rock!”

11. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

The father, Shigvid Schmid, found he'd lost his little kid, and set swift sail to find him.

The kid, Smรฅ Schmid, hankered for a bite of squid (eccentric whims defined him).

Smรฅ Schmid, the little kid, put to sea (he did!), though the Swedish Schooner School had declined him.

He sailed on night and day, rowing frantically in sway, never knowing the right way, never leaving Baltic Bay! Whew! Would have thought familiar beaches would remind him!

Shigvid Schid caught up, he did, to his circling little kid, and towed the dizzy rascal right behind him.

12. pennyklostermann says:

I am Shigvid
    As inโ€ฆ
    Shivid the sheep.
    As inโ€ฆ
    I hail from the farm.

I am Shigvid of Ozark.
    As inโ€ฆ
    Arkansas.
    As inโ€ฆ
    land of igneous and volcanic rock.

I am Shigvid of Ozark and I'm sure you've questions.
    As inโ€ฆ
    What is a sheep, in Vikingโ€™s clothing, doing floating the sea in a perm-topped dragon vessel?

More tomorrow on your local Norse News affiliate.

The recommended age range included “anyone who wants to have fun”! I don't think there's an age limit on that ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for signing up – Ryan will be pleased ๐Ÿ™‚ I'll let you off the Short & Sweet hook for now… but I expect you to come back with something brilliant after you've fueled up on chocolate ๐Ÿ™‚

You're very sweet, Teresa, thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ And Julie's banner is amazing! I love that she got Phyllis on there. Did you see the Phyllis puppet she made last year during the World Tour? Really. The woman is gifted! LOVE your Short & Sweet! I chortled out loud over Shvolfgang!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I will be expecting the rest of this story on the MPBM FB page or in my inbox shortly, Cheryl! I LOVE this – just wonderful! It reminds me a little of Mostly Monsterly… but with a viking sheep ๐Ÿ™‚ Bravo! ๐Ÿ™‚

Love your Short & Sweet, Vivian – tons of fun! ๐Ÿ™‚ And glad you like Ryan's work. You know lots of people who might be interested in signing up with him – I'm sure he'd be very grateful for a shout out on your blog!

LOVE the Scottish-Irish Viking, Pam! ๐Ÿ™‚ “Me stance is all off kilter now” tee hee hee ๐Ÿ™‚ I don't know about Ryan's site and outlook… I'll ask him… because yes, I bet your kids would love his stuff and it's all free!!!

18. delores @ thefeatherednest says:

Don't be sheepish men..ply the oars…pull, pull..there's leg of lamb for dinner and mutton stew if we reach harbour tonight…..ohhhhh.

19. Cheryl Secomb says:

LOL, Roger That! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you, Susanna. I thought of Mostly Monsterly, too! At first I was going to have him be a Viking with a secret soft side, but then I thought it was TOO much like Mostly Monsterly. So I decided to make him brave with a fear of kittens. ๐Ÿ™‚

20. Kirsten Larson says:

Happy birthday, Susanna! Since you have kids and everything, I'm assuming you are now 29 and holding? That “how to draw bacon” is cracking me up. Mmmmmm bacon!

You're so right, Kirsten! I am celebrating the 19th anniversary of my 29th birthday this year ๐Ÿ™‚ I love that “how to draw bacon” too – it might even be within my capabilities if I practice a bit! Thanks for the bday wishes ๐Ÿ™‚