Perfect Picture Book Friday – Tasha Finds Her Forever Friend

Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, Everyone!

I am excited to share today’s book.  Published by Deborah Hall and Donna Vaquer, both trainers of assistance dogs, not only is it a wonderful story, it’s part of a lovely, child-friendly series about the many ways dogs help people.  A related website, Dogs On Call, has pictures and information about all the dogs featured in the stories as well as many others.  The books are all available from Bunny Bud Books – please visit!  Deborah is very nice 🙂

Title: Tasha Finds Her Forever Friend (Part of The Rainbow Series: Dogs Who Help)
Written By: Deborah J. Hall
Photographs By: “many generous contributors”
Published By: Bunny Bud Books, Non-Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 4-10

Themes/Topics: therapy animals, special needs, friendship

Opening: “Tasha is a beautiful German Shepherd.  She has very big ears.”

Brief Synopsis:  Tasha learns to be an assistance dog and then longs to find a person she can help.

Links To Resources: From the Bunny Bud website:  BunnyBud Books is offering various coordinating items such as coloring booklets, activity pages, bookmarks, vinyl stickers, various word puzzles, t-shirts, and special packages designed to help you start your own Rainbow Reading Buddies Book Club (posters, display ‘dogs’, etc.). PleaseContact Us for information about these fun additions.

Interesting facts about pet therapy, questions about dogs? contact Dog Chat at the Bunny Bud website, Dogs On Call

Why I Like This Book:  This is a very down-to-earth, easy-to-understand story about how dogs are trained to help people and what a difference they can make in the life of someone who needs assistance.  Numerous photographs show readers the kinds of things dogs can learn to do, and then how a dog and a person (in this case a young girl with cerebral palsy) learn to work together.  But it’s not just about the practicality – the story is also heart-warming as it shows the deep bond that develops between child and dog.  The clear, straightforward text and the lovely photographs are very accessible to young readers and will introduce them to the concept of assistance dogs in a very child-friendly way.

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Even though I am still waiting for the Can’t Sleep Without Sheep e-book to actually really and truly be available, I am very excited about voting for a jingle winner on Monday!  I hope you will all tune in (ah, I’m such a punster :))

PPBF bloggers, please add your post-specific links to the list below so we can all come visit 🙂

Have a great weekend, everyone! 🙂

42 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Tasha Finds Her Forever Friend

1. Joanna Marple says:

I have come across this series and love the photos and examples of the many ways in which dogs aid us and our communities. These sorts of books were always very popular in the school library!

2. patientdreamer says:

Funny how we have both picked dogs and friendship. Pets teach us so much, don't they? Have a great weekend, Susanna!

3. Sue Heavenrich says:

I love the opening – the “big ears”. What a neat thing to note about a friend. (or at least someone who will become a friend) Thanks for sharing.

4. Rhythm says:

I've not seen this particular book, but I am familiar with the series. And it's a GOOD one!!! Thanks for showcasing service dogs!! Makes my day! I'll have to look for Tasha!

5. Laura Anne Miller says:

Susanna, this sounds wonderful!! Thanks for sharing – I will definitely look for a copy. Can't wait for Monday – I've had so much fun checking out everyone's jingles. Oh- BTW, be sure to catch my link to how to make CHOCOLATE scented play dough on my PPBF.

6. Genevieve says:

This is the happiest book I have ever heard of! Yay for Assistance Dogs! I have none of the skills or talents or knowledge they have, but I am snugly.

Hugs and cuddles,
    Cupcake

Great book, Susanna! Dogs really are man's (and woman's) best friend…and stories like this one might help kids who have a fear of dogs. Thanks for the resource list…I hope that teachers are using your Perfect Picture Book page – I wish I'd had it when I was teaching.

I'm looking forward to the jingle contest results – I need to hop over and make sure there aren't any that I've missed reading. 🙂 I absolutely LOVED Erik's video!

8. Wendy Greenley says:

Service dogs are a great topic! I tried to sell a manuscript about them. Too late to the party again. All dogs are good therapy in their own way. 🙂

Oh my goodness! Wasn't it great? That kid is amazing 🙂 I'm looking forward to the jingle voting too! I can't wait to see who everyone picks! And I love books about dogs, and this book is lovely because it really shows how much the dog means to the child on so many levels.

Settings

10. Stanley & Katrina says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! Yay, dogs! Katrina and I are excited to learn about the winner of your Jingle contest, too. You have a nice blog, Miss Susanna. We look forward to reading your new book.
    ~Stanley

11. Teresa Robeson says:

Oooh, I really want to read this book! When I was looking into getting our farm dog, I joined the farm dog e-list and saw lots of posts on different things those dogs can do, but a couple of owners' stories really stood out with me and those were the ones who were training their farm dogs to be therapy dogs. Such heart-warming stories of wonderful people training wonderful dogs to help others!

12. pennyklostermann says:

This book does sound heartwarming. Relationships between pets and owners are strong anyway, and I can't imagine the bond between an owner and a dog that provides them a better and safer life.

I know, Penny. And this one is especially sweet because the girl is young and has had a hard time making friends because she has cerebral palsy, and the dog is young too, looking for just the right person to be a helper to. And it's just lovely how they become friends 🙂

Settings

14. Patricia Tilton says:

This series looks interesting. Deborah also contacted me and is sending books, but I've just returned from vacation and haven't gotten my mail yet.

I really like the idea behind the whole series, but in terms of writing and story, I thought Tasha was the best. The others involve little math lessons (fun, but not a seamless fit into the story) and they don't have as solid a beginning, middle, end satisfying story arc. But the photographs are wonderful, and the concept is great. Hope your vacation was restful, relaxing and restorative and also ton of fun 🙂

Settings