Perfect Picture Book Friday – Mrs. Armitage Queen Of The Road

I know it’s Perfect Picture Book Friday and I’m supposed to lead off with that, but two quick things first.

1. Just a reminder that next Friday, June 14, will be our last PPBF until September, as we go on summer hiatus.  I will miss it, but I need the time to update, and also to do some other things… like write!… and finish cleaning out my basement! 🙂

2.  It’s NATIONAL DONUT DAY!!!!!!!  So have one on me, even though I don’t usually serve snacks on Fridays 🙂

Now then.  My Perfect Picture Book for the day:

Title: Mrs. Armitage Queen Of The Road
Written & Illustrated By: Quentin Blake
Peachtree, September 2003, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 5-8

Themes/Topics: fun, friendship, making the best of things

Opening: “One morning, Mrs. Armitage came downstairs and found a letter on the doormat.  She read it to her faithful dog Breakspear.
Dear Anastasia,
Because I am buying a new motorcycle,
I won’t need my old car anymore.  I would like
you to have it as a present.  It’s parked outside.
Here are the keys.
With love,
Your Uncle Cosmo

Brief Synopsis:  When Mrs. Armitage receives an old jalopy as a present it doesn’t look particularly exciting, but she is ready to give it a try.  She sets off with her faithful dog.  Mrs. Armitage has her own style of driving, however, and before long the old jalopy is dropping parts left and right.  What to do?  Nothing stops Mrs. Armitage!

Links To Resources: I didn’t find any actual links, but here are a few activity suggestions:

• discuss what it means to be queen of something, like “queen of the road” then have kids think up what they’d like to be queen (or king) of.  Why would they like to do that?  What special clothes might they wear?  What special accessories might they have?  What special things might they do?
  • Write your own story, individually or as a group, in which someone is the queen (or king) of something.  Illustrate it.
  • Mrs. Armitage’s car loses part after part after part until, though it maintains its function, it looks very different than it stared out.  Choose a vehicle and draw it the way it’s supposed to look.  Then draw it again seeing how much you can take away so that it can still do it’s job but it looks entirely different.
  • Read the other Mrs. Armitage books, all equally entertaining 🙂

Why I Like This Book: LOVE Quentin Blake’s delightful illustrations and sense of humor and fun!  Mrs. Armitage is a delightfully quirky character who just makes you wonder what she’ll do next.  Just wait until you see who she meets up with and what her car looks like by the end 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

Have a great weekend, everyone!  And tune in Monday for the July Contest announcement and the revelation of the fabulous prize! 🙂  (Wish me luck thinking up the contest parameters over the weekend and feel free to share ideas in the comments if you have any :))  PPBF bloggers be sure to leave your post-specific link in the list below!

53 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Mrs. Armitage Queen Of The Road

1. Laura Renauld says:

I have a fondness for Quentin Blake from his collaboration with Roald Dahl. Can't wait to check out Mrs. Armitage. (BTW, I'm not seeing the posting area for our own reviews.)

I know! It's practically impossible to sell a ms with an adult protagonist (unless you're Cynthia Rylant with Mr. Putter and Tabby :)) but this is so fun – my kids certainly love it 🙂

Settings

I know, Laura, I'm sorry! SImply Linked is having some kind of serious problem. Their whole website is a mess. Please feel free to post your link in the comments. I'm going to try to add them to the bottom of the post and keep updating since Simply Linked doesn't look like it's going to work any time soon!

4. Loni Edwards says:

National Donut Day!!! Woohoo!

Hi Susanna 🙂 Your pick this week sounds like fun! I love the name of that dog. I like your ideas for activities.

Have a great day! *munch, munch!* Loni

5. Sharron says:

I am not familiar with Mrs. Armitage. Got to go shopping. Road Trip. *giggles* I absolutely love the scarf!!!

6. Teresa Robeson says:

I'm having problems with technology too. I used to be able to load your site on my iphone and reply there, but now it's glitchy and won't let me. I managed to type up a long reply (no! long reply? not me! LOL!) and the darn thing ate it.

As the great Homer (Simpson, not the Greek dude) would say, mmmmm…donuts! Have I quoted him before? 😉

I have never read any of Quentin Blake's books, but know his wonderful art from a set of Raold Dahl books I bought for my kids a long time ago. I'll definitely go in search of Blake's own books now!

I'll miss your PPBF segment but you really do need a break to do your own things. Have a lovely Friday, Susanna!

7. Catherine says:

You're so kind going against your no snacks on a Friday rule. Okay you've twisted my arm. I think Matthew has already had timbits with his dad so it will be naughty after Pizza Hut to have donuts aswell but oh what the heck! Can you tell it's PA day here. I hope I get to my assignment before midnight 🙂
    Love the book you've chosen, it sounds loads of fun.

8. Iza Trapani says:

What? I missed the donuts today? Well, I'll gladly have a bite, though t I am on to wine now 🙂

Love the cover and title and the story sounds like loads of fun!

Wow! iza is having wine and donuts, and you're having pizza and donuts. Apparently donuts go with everything! 🙂 I think you would love Mrs. Armitage, Catherine – she's such a character! 🙂

Oh lordy. I hope your iPhone problems are not because of my blog. I'm going to give up and go back to writing in the dirt with a stick if any more techno problems happen with this blog today! I think you will like Mrs. Armitage – she is a wacky gal 🙂

Would love to meet Mrs. Armitage…but does she supply yummy donuts like you do, Susanna? 🙂 Sounds like a fun book and I LOVE your activities. 🙂
    My post has yummy pancakes with a super cool recipe…so folks can come over and enjoy those after they have some donuts here.:)

What an excellent idea! Especially because I am reading this at nearly breakfast time on Saturday morning 🙂 I don't think Mrs. Armitage does cooking of any kind – she's all about her vehicles 🙂

13. nrhatch says:

We celebrated National Donut Day with custard filled chocolate covered long johns.

We are nothing if not patriotic! 😀