Would You Read It Wednesday #97 – Fable Ranger (MG)

Golly gee whiz!

I took one and a half days off from blogging and I feel like I haven’t seen anyone in ages!  I’m so glad you’re all here this morning!  Let’s have a chocolate feast to celebrate!  (And I’ll put strawberries inside so it’s healthy :))

Delicious and nutritious!  YUM! 🙂

Now then, first, I’d like to announce the winner of the June Pitch Pick and that is…..

…. ANDREA!!! with her pitch for The Backpack Secret!

Congratulations, Andrea!  Your pitch is zipping through cyberspace to editor Erin Molta and I’m sure you will hear from her shortly 🙂

And congratulations to our other brave and talented pitchers, too.  You all had splendid-sounding stories!  Thank you for sharing your pitches!

Next, let’s have a look at today’s pitch which comes to us from Angela.  Angela Brown is a lover of Wild Cherry Pepsi and chocolate/chocolate covered delicious-ness. [A girl after my own heart :)]  Steampunk, fantasy and paranormal to contemporary fill her growing library of books. With a full-time corporate gig by day, and caring for her rambunctious daughter – aptly nicknamed Chipmunk – by night, Angela dons her hat as an author after goodnight kisses.

You can find her here:

Angela Brown in Pursuit of Publishness – http://publishness.blogspot.com/

Working Title: Fable Ranger
Age/Genre: MG Fairy Tale Mash-up (9 and up)
The Pitch: Swept away to the land of Fabricaasia, twelve-year-old Caesimilia “Case” Mollands is trapped unless the off-script fairy tales are set right. Armed with her favorite book of fables, legends and lore, and with Robin Hood and her new friend Charlie-boy by her side, Case sets off to find the wayward tales and make things right.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Angela improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in August so we’re about ready for some new pitches!  Send yours for your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Angela is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to going to hang out with this guy for a little while 🙂

Cute, isn’t he?  I am so lucky because my very generous friend is letting me ride him 🙂

(Although it might not be until tomorrow or the next day… My boy had his wisdom teeth out yesterday and I have a feeling he may be in for a rough day today.  We may have a Star Wars marathon on the agenda rather than riding!)

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!  I might see you Friday… or I might not…  Who can tell?  It will all depend on whether I have anything remotely interesting to impart 🙂

Happy reading and writing and thanks for helping Angela with her pitch!

67 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #97 – Fable Ranger (MG)

1. Pamela Courtney says:

Right on point with Mighty Mouse, my dear! Thanks for recommending Angela's blog. Heading over there tonight. Neverlove. The title alone intrigues. Oh and I'll take a couple more of those straw…Hey! Their all gone? Noooooo, I've thought about them all day. BTW, totally adorable horsey. Quick recovery for you son. Ooooh, ouch!

I hope you enjoy Angela's, Pam. I think you will. And I put out another giant tray of strawberries just for you! My son is soldiering along – so far so good but we'll see how he feels this morning – I just want it to be all healed up and over with! That horsey is adorable, isn't he? – handsome but such a goofy baby to work around and so mouthy! 🙂

Settings

3. Teresa Robeson says:

It wasn't really a horror story because the surgery part went as well as could be expected but I was supposed to give him Tylenol afterward and instead gave him aspirin which made him bleed more and for a longer period of time. 😛

4. Candilynn Fite says:

I would read this. Sounds fun and exciting. With it being fairy tale oriented, Angela has the world at her fingertips. Anything can happen! I've included my comments within () below:

Working Title: Fable Ranger (I like the title! It gives me the feeling our MC will be a fairy tale kind of superhero. Not sure if it's Angela's intention though. Just my thoughts.)

Age/Genre: MG Fairy Tale Mash-up (9 and up) (I'd list it as lower MG or could it possibly be a “chapter book?” Are you thinking Junie B. Jones word count / vocab or Percy Jackson books word count / vocab?)

The Pitch: Swept away to the land of Fabricaasia (I'd work the name of the land out of the pitch. Too confusing w/ complicated names, or consider changing to something a 9+ can pronounce w/ ease) twelve-year-old Caesimilia “Case” Mollands (maybe leave her last name out) is trapped ( Is trapped is passive. Try reversing for a more active description, then also tell us how she's trapped.) unless the off-script fairy tales (love the idea of off-script fairy tales!!!) are set right. Armed with her favorite book of fables, legends and lore, and with Robin Hood and her new friend Charlie-boy by her side (Consider reducing this sentence. It's a lot to take in), Case sets off to find the wayward tales and make things right (Think about “what if” she doesn't achieve this. What may happen in result? Consider adding a sentence about this.)

Hope this helps, Angela!! Look at you exploring the genres of the children's lit world. Love it! ~Candi

5. Wendy Lawrence says:

I realize I'm a day late (and a dollar short?) but I didn't want to forget to leave my thoughts! I love the idea and my favorite part of the pitch is the name “Charlie-boy”. I wanted more information, though, as I didn't understand what the story really was about. And I THINK I know what an off-script fairy tale is, but I'm not too sure. And do they need to be fixed in their own off-script way, or re-written to be back on-script? Also, I stumbled over the first line because of the name of hte land and the name of the character, neither of which I know how to pronounce. I would leave them out and just use her nickname to keep the pitch short and flowy-like. 🙂 Good luck!

6. Andrea says:

Wow, I'm so thrilled my pitch was chosen! Thanks again, everyone, for your help in tweaking it to make it better. I got so many great comments that helped make it stronger.
    Angela, my vote is a yes for whether I'd read your pitch. I love mixed up fairy tales! But I agree with other commenters about simplifying the names. I love the idea of trekking off, “armed” with a book.

7. Rachel says:

Angela, your book sounds great. I too like the “armed' bit and Charlie-boy!
    Congrats to Andrea for her win!

8. disqus_bENDymTlMv says:

Love the idea! Sounds intriguing. 🙂 I agree with others, needs just a bit more info and then it will be even better. Best of luck!

9. Stina Lindenblatt says:

Love the pitch. I love mashed up fairytales.

We don't get wild cherry pepsi in Canada. I think I'll stick with my Diet Dr Pepper.