Would You Read It Wednesday #118 – Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose (PB)

Yee-haw!  It’s Wednesday!

Time to ride out on the open range and rope ourselves some steers!

On second thought, it’s 9 below zero by the thermometer this morning!! (just about the coldest it’s ever been here) – and goodness knows how cold with the windchill!!  Definitely too cold to take the cow ponies out of the barn.  Also, I don’t know how to rope steers.

Let’s have Something Chocolate and play Would You Read It instead 🙂

I vote for molten chocolate cake since it’s so cold 🙂

Stonewall Kitchen Recipe HERE

(I hope all you health nuts will note that I put a raspberry on it so it counts as a healthy breakfast :))

Today’s pitch comes to us from Kirsten who is an aspiring author, a reading teacher, a mom of three, and a lover of all things sweet! You can find her on FB at https://www.facebook.com/kirsten.bock

Working Title: Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose
The Pitch: Gwynivere the Ear, self-proclaimed superhero, can hear citizens in distress from miles away.  Unfortunately, chaos seems to follow Gwynivere closely; almost as closely as her arch nemesis, Nosy Rosy.  And, as much as Gwynivere proclaims that “superheroes don’t need help,” she will soon discover that everyone can use a helping hand (or nose) once in awhile.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Kirsten improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in March so you’ve got a little time to polish up your pitches and send yours for your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Kirsten is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to riding the open range and roping some steers when we get out of double negative digits!

And before we go, I want to sincerely thank everyone who donated to Scott’s campaign on Monday, or who purchased books from his store, or who still might be thinking of doing one or the other.  It means so much to me and to him, and I really can’t thank you enough!  (And in case you missed it, you can read about it HERE.)

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!  Happy reading, writing, teaching, parenting, steer roping, or whatever is on your agenda for today!

76 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #118 – Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose (PB)

1. Keila says:

Yes! Girl hero who helps others yet recognizes her limitations to overcome the chaos in her life. Super-duper strength inside and out. Love her name! I would think an illustrator would have fun with this book.

2. Sue Heavenrich says:

Finally finished licking molten chocolate off my keyboard so I can comment: Yes, I'd read this pitch, but wonder if Kirsten could leave off the “ear” – just call her Gwynivere at first… maybe allude to others calling her “the Ear”. I love that she will team up and discover that using two senses makes more sense.

3. Julie Grasso says:

I love it love it love it. I can't think of anything to improve. I can just imagine the illustrations. I hope that Kristen will post her first 250 on the 12×12, I want to read this, he he.

4. Catherine Johnson says:

I absolutely love that pitch, story everything! And that chocolate cake. I need a fire glowing next to warm my -20 feet. Brrr…

5. Joy says:

Yes, I'd read this. It does sound very campy and I'd vote to go over the top and use an ear and a nose–the illustrations could be wild.
    I also thought the story was written in rhyming verse because of the rhyming names of the two main characters Gwynivere the Ear and Nosy Rosy. The rhyming could add to the groan/punny factors in the story. I think if that isn't the intent the names need to be changed.

6. deborahhwilliams says:

Love that nutritious raspberry, Susanna! I was a little creeped out to think of an ear as a character, but now I'm thinking that she's called “The Ear” as a nickname? Yes, I would read it, just to find out! Very well crafted pitch, Kirsten.

7. Stacy S. Jensen says:

I'd read it. I like Wendy and Julie Ro-Zo's comments.I would drop self-proclaimed and seems to. I did a double take on the name – Gwynivere. guess I was thinking Gwenivere (Found this fun link from the urban dictionary …http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gwenivere). The characters are body parts, right? Not children having the super hero qualities of those parts? I just watched this video about a kickstarter project called the Story of My Face today. It's a book with parts of a face: https://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/category/kickstarter. Good luck.

8. Janet Johnson says:

The raspberry is good, BUT, make it a strawberry and I'm sold. 🙂
    Hmmm, so the pitch. It definitely sounds like it could be cute and campy, and hilarious, but I wanted a few more specific details in the pitch. Right now the story feels a bit vague to me. What kind of chaos follows her? Name a specific event instead of the generality of it. What kind of problems does she overhear? Give a specific instead of the generality. What exactly goes wrong? And I'm wondering if you could make this less about the lesson learned, and more about the story? I don't think you need all that info in the pitch, but maybe that could help lead you in the right direction. Best of luck with your story! 🙂

A definitely YES for me, Susanna…both for the molten chocolate and for Kirsten's pitch.:)
    What a fun premise, Kirsten…you had me smiling from the first word to the last…not much to improve on it because it rocks…but I liked Stacy's suggestion to remove the word 'self-proclaimed'.:)