Would You Read It Wednesday #118 – Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose (PB)

Yee-haw!  It’s Wednesday!

Time to ride out on the open range and rope ourselves some steers!

On second thought, it’s 9 below zero by the thermometer this morning!! (just about the coldest it’s ever been here) – and goodness knows how cold with the windchill!!  Definitely too cold to take the cow ponies out of the barn.  Also, I don’t know how to rope steers.

Let’s have Something Chocolate and play Would You Read It instead 🙂

I vote for molten chocolate cake since it’s so cold 🙂

Stonewall Kitchen Recipe HERE

(I hope all you health nuts will note that I put a raspberry on it so it counts as a healthy breakfast :))

Today’s pitch comes to us from Kirsten who is an aspiring author, a reading teacher, a mom of three, and a lover of all things sweet! You can find her on FB at https://www.facebook.com/kirsten.bock

Working Title: Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose
The Pitch: Gwynivere the Ear, self-proclaimed superhero, can hear citizens in distress from miles away.  Unfortunately, chaos seems to follow Gwynivere closely; almost as closely as her arch nemesis, Nosy Rosy.  And, as much as Gwynivere proclaims that “superheroes don’t need help,” she will soon discover that everyone can use a helping hand (or nose) once in awhile.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Kirsten improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in March so you’ve got a little time to polish up your pitches and send yours for your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Kirsten is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to riding the open range and roping some steers when we get out of double negative digits!

And before we go, I want to sincerely thank everyone who donated to Scott’s campaign on Monday, or who purchased books from his store, or who still might be thinking of doing one or the other.  It means so much to me and to him, and I really can’t thank you enough!  (And in case you missed it, you can read about it HERE.)

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!  Happy reading, writing, teaching, parenting, steer roping, or whatever is on your agenda for today!

76 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #118 – Gwynivere The Ear Finds Her Nose (PB)

1. Pam Brunskill says:

Susanna, I love chocolate lava cake. How thoughtful of you on this cold day! As for the pitch, it sounds like a great theme with superheroes, and I love that it's got female main characters! I wasn't thrilled with the names, and I think that detracted a bit from the pitch, but that could just be me. Along the same line, I wasn't sure the title was as strong as it could be–I almost wonder if it gives the story away. Overall, however, it sounds cute, fun, and different! Good luck with it

I almost didn't make it beyond that molten cake. Looks sooooooooooooooooooooo yummy.

Ahem…

I like the premise of today's WYRI. I do love a good superhero story. Others have commented on the names, which I can agree with. I'm not sure if I missed it but I'm not getting the whole gist. I'm sure getting some caffeine in me and a re-read may help. But two thumbs up for the superhero theme!

3. Lauri Meyers says:

I agree with Aileen – the title makes it sound like a story about a face. But I think the pitch is quite good. From a selling standpoint, check out the growing number of easy reader/chapter book comic books. (Silly Lilly, Fly Guy…) This story may fit nicely there.

4. Michelle Heidenrich Barnes says:

Most definitely, yes, I would read this! The title grabbed my attention and I love the quirky take on a common “everyone needs a friend” theme. The only thing I would suggest is tightening up your pitch a bit. I think you've got more in your second and third sentences than you need, and I think it would hold more power if it were a bit more succinct. Good luck!

5. Teresa Robeson says:

I'm with Pam on the lava cake! Made it once and should do it again. 🙂

Anyway, the other ladies made great points about the pitch. I vote a solid maybe because it sounds like quirky fun. But I did have to read it twice to understand that the nose wasn't the enemy in the archenemy sense but just a bothersome peer. And I had similar concerns.

I also think it needs just the right illustrator to be able to pull it off since a disembodied ear and nose can be kind of gruesome. 🙂

Good luck and hope Kirsten gets more useful advice!

6. Kim Pfennigwerth says:

First let me say, 'MMmmmmm, that cake looks good!' and then I have to agree with most on here (re-think the title) and with Lauri Meyers regarding the easy reader/ chapter books may be a better fit. The names are off-putting and the nemesis isn't a real nemesis but the quirkiness of the plot and the girl mc would have me reading it. Maybe put the character's name in quotes 'Gwynivere the Ear' so it looks like a nickname but I my first thought was that it was a book about faces/facial parts. Plus let us know straight from the start. New detective, Gwynivere, aka 'Gwynivere the Ear', a super-hero in her own mind can hear citizens from miles away …

7. Donna L Sadd says:

I'd definitely read it, but agree with the others about the title. The pitch found me chuckling and thinking, I have a feeling this story is hysterical.

8. Kirsti Call says:

I'd read it. It sounds like a funny, intriguing story, but I agree that the title should be shorter so we know Gwynivere is a superhero! Superheros are awesome and kids love them!

9. Wendy Greeney says:

The pitch made me chuckle. The tag “self-proclaimed” confused me. Is she a superhero who can hear things from miles away, or is this pretend? I would ax the words “seem to.” I like the friendship hook in the last sentence, just not sure if there's a way to be more specific. What type of chaos needs a nose instead of an ear? I guess the fact that I'm wondering means I want to read!

10. Genevieve says:

I would read it. A strong girl character learning from another strong girl character can't miss. Names wise – I thought Gwynivere the Ear was an actual ear, so I started out reading the pitch thinking, “Can I read a book about an ear-superhero? Ugh.” So I'm glad she's not an animated ear collaborating with an animated nose. Whew!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful assessment of the pitch, Pam – I'm sure Kirsten will find it helpful. And I'm glad you approve of the choice of snack 🙂 I'm still waiting for the thermometer to push above zero, so lava cake seemed perfect 🙂

12. Rosi says:

I would absolutely read it and I like the title very much. It's a fun concept and I think kids would really like it. Nice job, Kirsten!

13. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Thanks for that raspberry, Susanna!

The title for today's pitch sent my imagination on a spin! (I do wonder about the name's spelling – that made me look twice). It sounds like my kind of fun, but the pitch needs tightening – with more about the actual characters revealed. Are we dealing with body parts, kids or adult-sized heroes? Is 'self-proclaimed' relevant? Here is a stab:

She can hear citizens in distress miles away, but chaos seems to follow superhero Gwynivere the Ear closely; almost as closely as her arch nemesis, Nosy Rosy. She will soon discover that everyone can use a helping hand, or nose, to sniff out the___(reveal something about what kind of trouble).

Good luck, Kirsten!

14. Mike Allegra writer says:

This pitch is one of my faves. It tackles the familiar superhero tropes, but offers up a wacky new twist. Love it!

15. Heather Gale says:

What a fun pitch – got to say: I may be the only one here who does read this as a story about an ear – even after going back to it a couple more times – But I would read this anyway !! YAY!!