Perfect Picture Book Friday – Four Feet, Two Sandals

So, did you all watch the Olympics last night?

I had totally planned on competing, but I was so busy with writing and whatnot that I forgot to trot out and qualify.  Lucky for Jamie Anderson and Yuna Kim and Tina Maze 🙂

You should see me on figure skates.

And skis.

And a snowboard.

Truly, it’s a sight hitherto unimagined.

There really aren’t words…

…   😀

(Although John Belushi’s Little Chocolate Donut Decathlon performance might come close :))

I think I really could put forth a World Class performance in Chocolate Consumption if they would just get serious and add that to the program, but some people refuse to recognize it as a sport…!

So, let’s have some HOT chocolate and get down to business, shall we?  Today’s Perfect Picture Book takes place where it’s warm (a concept I know I’m familiar with but can’t seem to remember!)

Four Feet, Two Sandals
Written By:  Karen Lynn Williams & Khadra Mohammed
Illustrated By:  Doug Chayka
Eerdmans Books For Young Readers, September 2007, Fiction
Suitable For: ages 7-10
Themes/Topics:  Friendship, Sharing, Refugees, Loss, Separation

Opening:  “Lina raced barefoot to the camp entrance where relief workers threw used clothing off the back of a truck.   Everyone pushed and fought for the best clothes.  Lina squatted and reached, grabbing what she could.”

Brief Synopsis:  In a place where people have very little, two girls each get one of a pair of sandals.  They could have fought, but instead they share the sandals.  As they go about their routines, waiting and hoping for their names to appear on the list for a new home, the sandals remind them that friendship is the most important thing.  And when one girl gets the chance to live in a new land, the bond of their friendship remains.

Links To Resources:  Teacher’s GuideDiscussion Guide, author’s note at back of book adds extra information.

Why I Like This Book:  This story gives children a glimpse of a very different kind of life.  For children who are fortunate, this book may help them not to take things for granted so much.  For children who are less fortunate, this book may help them see that they are not alone.  Told gently and with hope so that it is appropriate for children, this book nonetheless opens the way to important discussions about refugees, having and not having, war and peace, loss, and separation.  But the underlying message is one of love and friendship, something all children understand and can relate to.

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

I think if we all exert our mental powers at the same time, we can convince winter to leave.  Shall we plan for Saturday at noon?  Does that work for everyone? 🙂

PPBF bloggers, please leave your post-specific links in the list below so we can all come visit you and see your awesome picks for this week!

Have a great weekend, everyone!!! 🙂

51 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Four Feet, Two Sandals

1. patientdreamer says:

Hi *waves*
    I loved your choice of PPBF, very interesting, I must see if I can locate it. I love these sort of stories.
    The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics has not started here yet. I believe its early tomorrow morning. I love watching the iceskating and have only ever been dragged around a rink in the middle of Toronto some years ago… my only attempt at it…lol. Don't think I will make the cut for any Olympics….hahahaha… (oh my sides hurt)…hahaha Now hot chocolate..mmm… that's a thought, I'm with you on that one…hehe!

2. This_Kid_Reviews_Books_Erik says:

Y'know, between the fact that I feel real sleepy (ignore the fact I'm drinking chamomile tea) and the fact that I hit my head this morning, I think I need to stay home from school (so then I only had to go 1 day out of 5!).
    Great PPBF choice! 😀

3. Jarmila V. Del Boccio says:

Maybe Phyllis could have competed? That I would have loved to see!
    What a touching theme and PB, Susanna. Especially in a country where people have so little to begin with, it's nice to see examples of friendship and generosity. Thanks for sharing this one. And you are right . . . It's difficult to imagine what a warm day feels like! 😁

This is a great choice for PPBF. I may have to get this for my kiddo. We are not a financially rich duo by any stretch of the imagination. But we are not poor. And I sometimes find myself at odds with trying to help her understand what it is like to struggle without completely frightening her to bits. This may help. Thank you 🙂

5. Teresa Robeson says:

They should SO have a chocolate consumption contest at the Olympics! 😀

Oh goodness, just reading your synopsis of the story made me all teary-eyed. I should make sure my library has this book. It deserves to be widely read.

Happy Friday!

6. Sue Heavenrich says:

They need an olympic event for the Picture Book Idea Pitch. I'm sure we could field a team. And also Revision Marathon and some kind of freestyle jump where we hop on a sled and go flying and trust that our story will land on its runners without killing any characters.
    I love “Four Feet Two Sandals”! What a perfect PPBF book.
    Now to get on my thermies and strap on my skinny skis before all that snow gets crusty and melty. But first – hot cocoa.

7. Clarbojahn says:

I LOVE this book when I read it. It totally rocks! It's a great choice for Perfect Picture Books.

Yes, Saturday at noon works for me. I'll get my vibs going! 🙂

8. mike allegra says:

Wow. What an amazing concept for a story. What a powerful way to show children (and their parents) how refugees live.

I'm glad you appreciate my humor, Catherine. Have you seen John Belushi's Saturday Night Live skit about Little Chocolate Donuts? I wanted to post the link to the YouTube video, but he's smoking a cigarette as well as eating little chocolate donuts in preparation for his decathlon and I didn't feel that was appropriate for the younger members of our audience! 🙂

What a gorgeous story, Susanna! Thanks for putting it forward – I love friendship books – this one is all the more special because it will help kids here learn a bit about how life is for much of the rest of the world.

Oh WOW…oh my goodness…the doorbell just rang!!!! And on my doorstep the mailman stood!!! Holding a padded gold package!!! From Merritt Bookstore!!! I opened it!!!! Inside the padded gold package was…a cardboard envelope…inside the cardboard envelope was…another cardboard envelope…inside the second cardboard envelope was…YOUR WONDERFUL BOOK – CAN'T SLEEP WITHOUT SHEEP!!!!!! Sorry for all of the exclamation marks…I'm just so excited. Thank you so much, Susanna, for the lovely inscription…I can't wait to read it to Jeremy tonight.:) Iza's lovely 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star was also in the package…I'll be bringing that to Chicago next week when I visit little Sophie.:)

I am a doctor, Erik. That is why they call me Dr. Hill. And I can't stress enough how important it is to take proper care of a potential concussion. You should probably stay home, watch cartoons, build elaborate LEGO constructions, eat homemade chocolate chip cookies, and generally take it easy 🙂

Yeah, it was really weird! The Opening Ceremonies haven't been televised her either – they're supposed to be tonight. But there were televised events in figure skating, snowboarding, mogul skiing etc… I think maybe the Opening Ceremonies happened and just haven't been shown yet? because they couldn't start the events if they hadn't officially opened, could they? Curious….

13. Anne Bromley says:

Thank you, Susanna, for this review. I had heard of this lovely book, but now I have greater incentive to read and share it.

Having lunch with Scott and enabling others to connect with him meant more to him than the actual selling of the books. When we feel people care about what is happening in our life, we are strengthened. We are all blessed to have you in our lives, Susanna.:) You never miss an opportunity to let others know they are of value.

15. Laura Anne Miller says:

Well, I'm a little tardy to the party today. Started off today with a car that wouldn't start because of the cold….anyway, I'll be around to visit a little later – it's already supper time – Like the sound of your choice, Susanna – literally sounds like they walked in each other's shoes. Oh – and I'll be there at noon tomorrow!

16. Laura Anne Miller says:

Susanna, had to tell you…my books arrived!! The grands were here too – so they got to read with me. They LOVED the full sized storybook. I've had your ebook version of Can't Sleep since it came out – but I must say – it's 10x more magnificent in hardcover. Love the HUGE illustrations. #5 liked the horse and #3 kept going to the hippos.

17. Keila says:

Two quick (hopefully) questions Susanna. I would like to continue to participate in PPBF. 1) I tried the search function to see if the book I'd like to review is already on your list and didn't see it then thought someone else may have already reviewed. Is there any way to search those reviews? 2) I tried to add the PPBF badge to my site to link to yours and it only shows up as an html not a jpg and says the page is no longer there. I just need a link to the image. Thanks!

There is an alphabetical list of book titles that have been reviewed on the Perfect Picture Book tab… but you have to scroll way down below the theme lists. And I confess it is WAY behind because I don't have enough time to keep it properly updated, so no worries if you repeat something. About the badge, I am terrible at that stuff. Can you just right click on it and “save as” and then post in your sidebar and add your own link back to the PPBF page??? http://susannahill.blogspot.com/p/perfect-picture-books.html

Oh, that is SO nice to hear! 🙂 I'm so glad you all enjoyed it. I LOVE Mike's art – I think he did just a fantastic job with all those animals! And tell #5 I have the original painting of the horse page signed by Mike for my #5 🙂

20. Barbara @ Grade ONEderful says:

I'm pretty sure I'd get gold in chocolate consumption. Sorry 🙂
    Thanks for sharing that book. I think it's super important for kids to read about children in other parts of the world.