Perfect Picture Book Friday – I Hatched!

ACK!  Posting glitch!  Sorry I’m late, everyone!

Happy Valentines Day Everyone!

My book choice for today has nothing to do with Valentines, but here is some Valentine love for you 🙂

Suitably picture book-y, don’t you think? 🙂

But, I kid you not when I tell you I LOVE this book!  Please go out and read it as soon as you can – it’s SO cute 🙂

Title: I Hatched!
Written By: Jill Esbaum
Illustrated By: Jen Corace
Dial Books For Young Readers, January 2014, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 2-4 (according to publisher) – I think kids a little older would still like it.

Themes/Topics: being yourself, wonder, learning new things

Opening: “A patch of light!
One final peck.
I give a shove and s-t-r-e-t-c-h my neck.
Then – CRACK!

Brief Synopsis: A baby killdeer chick comes out of his egg and sees himself and the world around him for the first time.  Goofy and sweet and filled with awe, his energy and enthusiasm are delightful to behold.

Links To Resources: HERE are lots of activities related to hatching chicks without having to actually hatch them at home or in the classroom! HERE are a whole bunch of chick crafts (not killdeers but still cute :)) Talk about what baby chicks can do when they’re born?  How does that compare with baby cats and dogs?  How about with baby horses?  And how about with baby humans?

Why I Like This Book: So full of energy and delight I think it’s impossible not to like this book!  The newly hatched chick’s boundless joy at seeing the brand new world around him is so contagious.  As he learns about himself, he’s so pleased with everything: how fast he can run! how handsome his stripe is!  And I don’t think there’s a child who won’t chuckle over the page where he says, “I stop because… look out below!/Something’s falling from my… oh./Here’s a shocker.  Please don’t stare,/but take a peek… I’m ORANGE down there!” 🙂  Everyone should have as much confidence and self-esteem as this little guy.  And the end of the story has a lovely surprise for him 🙂

I hope you like it as much as I do 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF Bloggers, please leave your post-specific links in the list below so we can all come visit you!

Have a GREAT weekend, everyone! 🙂

43 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – I Hatched!

1. Patricia Tilton says:

You've got to love that cover — it has an energy of its own. Such a cute selection filled with wonder and self-confidence!
    Yes, wondered if you had power.

2. Teresa Robeson says:

I was wondering where you were! I thought we'd have to come shovel you out to get our PPBF post…LOL!

I love killdeer! They have the best camouflaged nests. We almost stepped into one but the mother saved the day by leaping out and luring us away with her broken wing ruse.

I'll be sure to check this book out! Stay wam and safe!

3. Stacy S. Jensen says:

This looks great. Oh my library list is going to be full again. Of course, I'll have to return the 40 ABC books I have checked out first!

4. Beth Stilborn says:

Since I was a bit late to the party this morning, I wouldn't even have realized that the party was late, too! Hope you're able to get yourself dug out from all that snow. Good to have a book about spring and chicks hatching and such delights. As you know, my book is just more snow!!!

5. Laura Anne Miller says:

Happy Valentine's Day, dear Susanna, special friend to us all. You make us smile just by being you! I like your choice of books. We used to have killdeer make nests in our field all the time. Every year we had to post warning sticks around them until they hatched so we didn't mow over them. It was always difficult to find the nest, and of course mama kept leading us astray.

6. Clarbojahn says:

I wonder if this is another edition of a similar one I read when my boys were young? I see the date ,2014, but am sure I read one just like it long ago. We of course loved it seeing how we raised chickens and all kinds of fowl including quail, turkeys and pheasants. And we would incubate the eggs till they hatched watching through the little window provided in those things. such fun!

I wanna get this book! 🙂

Susanna…thanks for the adorable Valentine…Happy Valentine's Day – and International Book Giving Day – to you!
    As you say, I'm sure older kids would like this book…I can tell you that older me LOVES it.:) What a simple concept…and how amazing to be seeing the world through the eyes of the new chick! And a twist on the usual low self-esteem that grows throughout a story…here we have little chick believing right away that he is a pretty fine fellow…how cool! I'm seeing picture books with 'new eyes' as I progress through your awesome Making Picture Book Magic class…when a book like this one appears, I want to say, “Why didn't I think of that?” 🙂

8. Wendy Greenley says:

The chick looks adorable! I never would have guessed that this is what a kildeer chick looks like, I've only seen the adult birds. 🙂

Apparently it was my internet that needed shoveling out. Or blogger. Or something. Fortunately there was no shortage of chocolate 🙂 Killdeer are amazing, aren't they? And i bet you've drawn some beautiful ones – did I miss one in the daily doodle thing the other day? I thought K was for Kingfisher – which was one of my favorites with his spiky hairdo 🙂

10. Patiendreamer says:

Aww… what an adorable book. Never heard of kildeer chicks before. Now I have learned something new.
    Hope you are having a lovely Valentines Day and hubby is taking you somewhere nice for dinner. 🙂

11. Laura S. says:

Sounds like a wonderful book. Pair it with An Egg Is Quiet Hardcover written by Dianna Hutts Aston and illustrated by Sylvia Long and you could have the start of a wonderful teaching unit on eggs and chicks.

12. Jarmila V. Del Boccio says:

Another sweet book! So fun to see the variety. Well, this was another busy week, so I didn't post. I always want to make sure I have time to respond to others before I post mine.
    Maybe next week. I'm on a self-imposed writer's retreat over a long weekend at that time. We will see!

13. pennyklostermann says:

It sounds precious. I just love Jill Esbaum's books. They never disappoint! I have it on hold at my library…so excited about reading it.

You're very welcome, Jill! I really love this book – so cute! I was in Merritt Bookstore with Iza Trapani a week or two ago and we were reading all the new books on the picture book display – that's how I saw it! Then of course I had to buy a copy “for my granddaughters” 🙂

15. Linda Ashman says:

Ha! Then your dream has already come true! It's MY dream to have your energy and creativity (oh, and that little farm with the big vegetable garden, and lots of dogs, and an alpaca or two . . .)

Aw shucks! You're just being nice! I have miles to go before I approach your economy and perfection of language. But I like the sound of that farm 🙂 My daughter takes care of alpacas at her school – they are so funny! If you make them mad, they spit 🙂