Perfect Picture Book Friday – Ninja Red Riding Hood

Happy Perfect Picture Book Friday, Everyone!

I was certain this book had been reviewed already for PPBF, but when I went to find the link (so I could add it to the prize mention on the Halloweensie Contest) I couldn’t find it anywhere!  Is it possible that since it came out in July while we were on hiatus it never got reviewed?  Or did I just not see it?  Who knows?!  But it’s too good to miss, so enjoy!  (And if someone already did it, you’d better give me the link! :))

Title: Ninja Red Riding Hood
Written By: Corey Rosen Schwartz
Illustrated By: Dan Santat
G.P. Putnam’s Sons, July 2014, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 4-8

Themes/Topics: fractured fairy tale, humor, girl power, language fun (rhyme)

Opening: “Once upon a Ninja-filled time,
a wolf couldn’t catch any prey.
He kept getting licked
by the dinner he picked
and was growing more ticked by the day.

Brief Synopsis: The big bad wolf, having taken a licking from the three nina pigs, decides to attend martial arts school and then see if he can snack on Little Red Riding Hood.  But Red turns out to be way more than he bargained for!

Links To Resources: Teacher Guide/Activity Pages; compare this version of RED with the traditional tale of Little Red Riding Hood, Little Red Writing, and any other versions you like (this page lists quite a few!) – how are the stories alike? How are they different?

Why I Like This Book: For starters, I love fractured fairy tales, and this is such a clever one!  The rhythm of the rhyme is terrific, and just begs to be read aloud.  The story, complemented perfectly by the illustrations, is tons of fun.  I love that Red has a few tricks up her sleeve and is well able to take care of herself – a great message for girls.  Gran has a few surprises too.  And the poor old wolf… you just have to feel a little sorry for him 🙂

Hopefully, here’s the trailer (although my internet is currently being extremely uncooperative and refusing to show any videos, so we’ll just have to see if this works or not!)

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF bloggers please be sure to leave your post-specific link in the list below so we can all come visit you!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!  I hope you’re all thinking about and/or writing your Halloweensie stories!  Personally, I am still in the thinking about stage 🙂

52 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Ninja Red Riding Hood

1. sue heavenrich says:

I'm always up for a different take on a classic story…. and have been loving the various re-visionings of Red. Wolves and Ninjas – a must-read combo!

2. Clarbojahn says:

OH I love fractured fairy tales, too. I'll have to get this one! I have a fairy tale on my blog, too , today! An Scottish fairy tale set in Norway.

I Love PPBF and the differnent books we get to be introduced to. Since w can't read all of them it is fun to read reviews and catch up a little bit of each other. I LOVE this community of readers and reviewers. You have a great tribe, Susanna!! And I'm proud to be part of it. 🙂

Happy Weekend!

3. Stacy S. Jensen says:

I still need to get this one (hangs head in shame). I enjoy fractured fairy tales and kiddo likes Ninjas. Still thinking about the Halloweensie story … My idea pile is higher than my draft pile.

I'm a huge fan of Corey's stellar rhyming skills…and I can't believe I have not 'red' this one. 🙂 I'll have to fix that right away!
    I second Clar's lovely words about Perfect Picture Book Friday and you, Susanna…you've created a warm, inviting and inspiring community here. 🙂
    Can't wait for Halloweensie…I've told lots of people about it and guess what…your fame is spreading because they already knew. 🙂 🙂

5. Julie Rowan-Zoch says:

Funny, I just picked NRRH up yesterday evening at my local indie, then finally found it on the shelf at the library on the way home. Obviously too popular! Have a beauty-laden weekend in peeper country, Susanna!

6. Beth Stilborn says:

Yay for Corey Rosen Schwartz and her Ninjas!

I'm posting a book that has likely been on PPBF before, The Man with the Violin by Kathy Stinson, but my activities include a new radio documentary that I just HAD to share. The post is from my Starborn Revue blog on Wednesday. Hope that's okay.

7. bgruener says:

Ooooo, this one looks fantastic. I was bleary-eyed when I first stopped by this morning, so I came back now for a 2nd look. Thanks!

8. Joanna Marple says:

Corey is just so skilled in rhyme and turning these tales on their heads. I Love her humor and Dan's art! It's a winning combo.

Awesomesauce! This has to be the best slap-a-pow pick for PPBF yet. And the cover is Ninja-tastic. Waaaahhh! Hi-YAH! Great title, Susanna.

10. :Donna Marie says:

Corey is so gifted at this style writing, no wonder she's “gifted” with the most amazing illustrators! 🙂 I love Corey's books and was very happy to get a copy signed by her at the recent festival. Go, Corey! Thanks, Susanna 🙂

You and Enzo will love it 🙂 I'm still thinking about my Halloweensie story too… actually, no, that's a lie. I haven't even started thinking about it. But I'm thinking about thinking about starting to think about it 🙂

Aw, thanks, Clar! You're so nice 🙂 I'm honored and grateful to be part of such a wonderful group of people. And I too am glad for this glimpse we get each week of all the wonderful picture books out there – so many books, so little time 🙂

Corey's amazing, isn't she? I can never get over how fantastic her rhyme and word choice is! And thank you for your lovely seconding of Clar – you guys are both so nice! It's really not me – it's all of you! Thanks for spreading the Halloweensie word. I'm so excited to read everyone's stories! 🙂

14. :Donna Marie says:

Thank you, but the way I see it…your books are worth the paper they're printed on. Mine aren't printed yet, so… lol *sigh*

15. :Donna Marie says:

lol…it's funny, but when I was responding, I wasn't actually thinking “yet” 'cause it IS getting old—the trying, that is—but I guess I've tried to stay positive and believe for so long, the hope is still there, even if not as strong.

Even though it's hard, the only way to succeed is to keep writing and submitting. If you give up, there's no way it can ever happen! That's what makes the difference between those who are published and those who aren't – sticking to it! 🙂