Would you look at that?

It’s time for another round of everybody’s favorite game: Would You Read It!

This makes two weeks in a row where the time has gone by so fast I feel like I missed it altogether!  I want to thank all the lovely people who stepped up to offer help with my book launch last week from the bottom of my heart!  I’m so grateful!  And if I haven’t replied to you yet, please know that you’re on my list and I’m getting there! ❤

We’ve got a lot to do today, so let’s begin by fueling our brain cells with a little Something Chocolate!  This Chocolate Italian Cake looks pretty delicious er, that is, it looks like it would be an excellent source of energy for efficiently facilitating synaptic response and neuron transmission 🙂

Don’t you feel like your ability to analyze pitches is functioning at an unprecedented level now?  (No, that is not a sugar/caffeine rush from the chocolate, that is Brain Power! 🙂 )

So let’s harness that power and go straight to the February and March Pitch Picks!

FEBRUARY:

#1 – Kathryn – PENELOPE PICKLES AND THE TROLL KINGDOM (MG)

Toadstool is a troll who just wants to be left alone. But the Troll Kingdom is relying on him to start a plague in order to ward off pesky humans. His plan goes amiss when he meets Penny, a spunky girl with a contagious imagination. The Troll Kingdom isn’t happy about his new friend, and Toadstool soon finds himself having to choose between saving the Troll Kingdom or saving Penny.

#2 – Jill – SOCKS OFF (PB ages 2+)

A child delights in spending the day feeling the world against his bare feet. But when a run-in with a cat causes a chase and a tumble, the child soon finds a way back to barefoot bliss with a lick and a snuggle.

#3 – Robin – TALENT SHOW AT GILA ACADEMY OF FLICKCRAFT AND LIZARDRY (PB ages 4-8)

Chameleon was feeling blue about the Friday Night Talent Show. While the other lizards preened and practiced, Chameleon was a shrinking violet, sure his talent was…nothing. Watch Chameleon’s “nothing” become something. He’s a lizard of a different color!

Please vote in the poll below (by Sunday April 9 at 5PM Eastern) for the pitch you think is best and most deserving of a read and comments from editor Erin Molta!

MARCH:

#1 – Traci – RILEY AND THE HAUNTED CUPBOARD (PB ages 4-8)

What started out as a fun game of candy hide and seek between Riley and his dog, Scout, turns hairy when creepy noises coming from the cupboard under the stairs halts the game. Scout seems to be missing which forces Riley to first face his fear of dark places but more importantly face his fear that Scout may be gone forever.

#2 – Alexandria – FIONA FLYNN FINDS OUT (MG)

Fiona wants to prove her maturity by riding a horse. When that finally happens, the horse rides her right into her familial role as fairy physic—a physician to a magical world of nature guides who are in the fight for their lives against the evil goddess, Epona who seeks to destroy everything the fae protect. Can Fiona grow into her powers soon enough to stop, Epona?

#3 – Lisa – I AM… (PB ages 4-6)

Scared by a spider, Giraffe climbs a tree to hide. When his friend Zebra spots him, he listens as Giraffe talks about his fears. But Giraffe is facing an even bigger problem, and struggles to find the courage to admit it.

#4 – Joy – RODERICK FODERICK (PB ages 3-7)

Broderick Foderick a kangaroo rat. He accidentally pulls the throttle too much and his ship gets launched into space. When he gets snagged on a cumulus cloud, he must find the doohickey to return to earth.

Now then, onto today’s pitch which comes to us from Ana who says, “I am a teacher, artist, dancer and chocolate lover. I hope with my picture books make young and old laugh.”

Working Title: No More Cats

The Pitch: When mom agrees to add a cat to the family, it seems like a fine idea. But one by one the cat count rises until things are out of control. She must find new homes for the felines and fast, before they take over her home and her sanity.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Ana improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)

Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on Would You Read It in the dropdown under For Writers in the bar above.  There are openings in June, so you have a little time to polish your pitch before putting it up for helpful feedback and have a chance to have it read by editor Erin Molta!

Ana is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to seeing who wins the pitch picks!  All these fabulous pitches – how will we ever choose???!!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone!!! 🙂

20 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #247 – No More Cats (PB) PLUS The February And March Pitch Picks!!!

1. Maria Marshall (@MariaMarshall_) says:

Ana, This is a very interesting premise and a fine query. I think a few things will make it even better.
    First WHO is your MC? you only say “her.” I would specify her name in the Pitch.

Second, how many cats are involved byt the end? 2, 7, 15, 20? The madcap imagined changes based on the number of cats “she” has to deal with finding homes for.

Third, can you hint at one escapade/trouble she has trying to find homes? Are the cats all perfectly behaved? Do some have odd quirks? Are they all kittens? Or adults? Geriatric? Just a tease here will make the reader even more invested and wanting to read your manuscript.

Picht When mom agrees to add a cat to the family, it seems like a fine idea. But one by one the cat count rises until [“x” cats roam the house] and things are out of control.[One example here]. [Name ] must find new homes for the felines and fast, before they take over her home and her sanity.

2. Lisa Katzenberger (@FictionCity) says:

Hi Ana! I love this premise and would absolutely read it — even though I am terribly allergic to cats. You have great word use like “cat count” and “felines and fast.” I wonder though if there is a child in this story, not just Mom? I imagine there is lots of room for the cats to get into trouble and go haywire — this will create great images. Clarify your main character and I bet this snappy pitch will be snapped up!

3. Judy Sobanski says:

Oh Boy! That chocolate cake looks scrumptious! –
    Hi Ana – I would definitely read it! I too, would like to see the MC named or at least identified whether it is mom or a child. I wondered if she was adding a “first” cat to the family or if they already had a few. A hint at how all the subsequent cats end up in the household might be helpful…are they dropped on their doorstep, do several have kittens? And and example of the chaos would be fun to know, too. Good luck. A few tweaks and you’ll have a “purr-fect” pitch!

4. Lisa Riddiough says:

Hi Ana,
    I love books about cats and would definitely read this. I agree with the others that you might want to include the MC’s name in the pitch. At first read, it sounds like the MC is the mother, but I am guessing it is a child. An example of how the cats take over might be good, too. This reminded me of Millions of Cats by Wanda Gag, possibly a mentor text for you. Out of control chaos with cats is wonderfully fun. All the best to you and this story!

5. ptnozell says:

Susanna, thanks for feeding our brains before we had to choose two monthly winners AND help Ana with today’s pitch.

Ana, I would read this, but I agree with the other comments that I’d like to know who the MC is & a bit more about the cats’ zany antics. Good luck with this!

6. Ana Velez says:

Ana here,
    Wow, so much good feedback. I see how examples of how the cats came to the house and the chaos they cause can be helpful. I do have a question, my main characters don’t have names. There is a mom and a child, any ideas how to include them?

7. Gabi Snyder says:

Susanna, that chocolate Italian cake looks heavenly! Must bake soon!

Ana, I’m a sucker for a cat story (there’s a cat warming my lap as I type) and so I would definitely read your story. I agree with the comments above regarding the MC. I wonder if you could even get your MC’s name into your first line to orient us right away. Maybe something like, “When Mom finally agrees to add a cat to the family, {MC name} can’t wait for cuddles and purrs. But…” I like Maria’s idea for giving a specific example of how things are out of control with the countless cats. Good luck with this fun story!

8. Geoffrey Hyatt says:

Hi Ana,
    I had the same reaction I see in previous comments about the main character. I’d suggest you try a rewrite that doesn’t include mom, or something like “Ana is allowed to keep the stray cat, and then the hurt one, but as the number of cats grows and grows, she must (solve the problem) before her mom’s patience runs out”.
    And as I’ve suggested in previous WYRIW, I think you don’t need to hide the climax/solution – at least give a hint about how it gets solved, because that is a huge part of what will make your book special. Is it a cat for each friend at school, or a neighbor crazy cat lady who takes them, or maybe mom relents and lets them all stay…or maybe Ana tries several of these solutions until she finds one that works…

9. Gregory E Bray says:

I know what I’m baking this weekend. 😉

I am a sucker for a cat story as well. I agree with everyone that a name for the MC would help a lot. And I really want to know where all these kitties are coming from. =) Good luck!

10. Jilanne Hoffmann says:

Alrighty, that cake has fired up my neurons. I’ve voted on this fine assortment of pitches, and now for the WYRIW pitch…

I love the premise of “too many cats.” I grew up on a farm, and at one point I had 5 mother cats and 25 kittens. So I was busy giving away kittens to family, friends, and my parents friends one summer before we “fixed” the problem. Am envisioning a house overrun by the furry felines. But I’m a little confused right now. It sounds like others had the same reaction. Since you haven’t named the child, it sounds like mom is the main character who is going to have to figure out what to do with all the cats. The one who’s in the furry pickle should be the child, so it would be terrific to follow others’ suggestions. I would also expand on the humor by describing the “out of control-ness” with specifics. It sounds like the story is hilarious, so I would make your pitch reflect that. Good luck!

11. Rene` Diane Aube says:

HI Susanna and Ana! YUMMY! Love the looks of that Italian cake!

I, too, am a sucker for cats and more cats and more…well you get the idea. So, yes, I would read it. I agree that your main character needs a name, especially if Mom is not it. Here’s my suggestion for an alternative pitch:

When _____________ convinces Mom to add a cat…and another and another and another, to the family, life is fun. But soon, cats and cat-astrophies add up to feline frenzy and new homes must be found for them to make life sane again.

Hope this is helpful without giving too much away yet teasing the reader, like the cake teases the tastebuds 🙂

12. Keila Dawson says:

I’ll have two pieces of cake to double the neuron transmissions!

As a cat lover, yes I would read it. I like the title. Agree with the idea to name the mc to bring in the kid character. “MC’s mom agreed to add a cat to the family.”

Who is ”she?”, mom or MC? “She must find new homes for the felines and fast, before they take over her home and her sanity.” Sounds like the mom, because she would be bothered most and need to save her sanity, but you want the MC to solve her own problem.

Good luck!

13. viviankirkfield says:

Love this one, Ana! It reminds me a bit of the classic Wanda Gag book, Millions of Cats.
    Your pitch is actually nice and tight.But I’m wondering who the main character is…Mom? Is there a kid in the story also…or is it just about a lady who collects cats. Because I think it might be good to have a kid in the story.
    When Charley’s (or whatever the kid’s name is) mom agrees to add a cat to the family, it seems like a fine idea. But one by one the cat count rises and (what are some funny things that happen because of that). Will they find new homes for the felines, or will Charley (or whatever the kid’s name is) have to sleep in the dog house.

And thanks for the yummy chocolate, Susanna…you serve the best desserts!!!

14. David McMullin says:

I love voting day, and seeing how all of the pitches have come together.

Ana, I would read this. It seems like a lot of cat mayhem is heading our way. I was struck by the same things that others have already noted. The MC is a bit lost, and I want to see a little more of the personality of the piece. “[Name] purrs with excitement when her mom agrees to add…” Good luck with this.

15. swugar2 says:

I would add a sentence or two about how these cats take over the home and her sanity. If you could make it quirky then I would become curious.

16. pamelacourtney says:

Ana, I love the premise of this story. It is obvious you are bringing major funny to this piece. So a definite YES to reading your delightful story. Like the others have said, your pitch reads as if Mom is the main character. You should have a young mc as the character and make sure you show how she is solving her own problem. Does she need a name? I’m thinking of the, The Man in the Yellow Hat. It could be fun without a name, but there must be something so obvious about her that the readers can readily identify that she is the main character: The little girl with the calico cat ears and the purple padded paws loved cats. Not this crazy nonsense I wrote, but you get my point. I think it could be interesting if you’re deciding not to name your mc.

Cast my votes for the pitches and had a virtual dose of that delicious cake.
    Yum!
    I’m interested in the WYRI pitch for this post but am on the fence. However, the comments suggested to improve the pitch would certainly turn me into a definite Yes!

18. Jill Richards Proctor says:

Hi Ana. Yes, I would read it. I’m a big-time cat lover, so I can relate. I’ve been there, done that.

I would suggest, however, making the pitch more about the MC, and less about the mother. When you say things get out of control, sharing something specific would draw the reader in even more. What gets out of control? How does the MC help her/his mom to find new homes for the cats? How does the MC feel about giving the cats away? Give the reader something to chew on. 🙂

Good luck!