Perfect Picture Book Friday – Tony

GAH!

So sorry to be late posting Perfect Picture Books!

We had a huge storm yesterday afternoon – icy rain, thunder, lightning – totally weird for early April!  My poor little Jem-dog, who hates thunder!, quivered and shook and pressed herself as close to me and Scouty as she could get.  She expects it in July and August, but not now!

Anyway, the storm took out the internet… for a change… and it only just came back!

So here, a little late!, is my Perfect Picture Book 🙂

Tony

Title: Tony

Written By: Ed Galing

Illustrated By: Erin E. Stead

Roaring Brook Press, February 2017, fiction

Suitable For Ages: 3-6

Themes/Topics: friendship, days-gone-by/history

Opening: “Tony
that was his name
he was such a wonderful horse

Brief Synopsis: A sweet simple story of a boy and his horse delivering milk and the friendship between them.

Links To Resources: kids, ask your parents and grandparents about things they remember from their childhood – what things were different? what things the same as today?  Do they remember having milk delivered by horse and cart? Getting ice from an ice house? how did they entertain themselves in the days before TV, computers and video games?  Ask them to teach you how to play a game they played as a child.

tony 2

Text copyright Ed Galing 2017, Illustration copyright Erin Stead 2017

Why I Like This Book:  This is such a lovely book.  180 words, it was written as a poem.  The story itself is as basic and simple as can be: a boy and his horse go out in the early morning to deliver milk.  But Erin Stead’s illustrations bring it to life in the most beautiful way possible.  The horse’s loving, kind and patient nature shine through.  The companionship and teamwork of the boy and the horse as they set about their daily run at 3 AM comes clearly through the quiet dark when the rest of the world sleeps.  It is obvious how much they value each other and how much the narrator of the story (a man to whom they deliver) loves Tony too.  If you’re looking for a sweet and very quiet book, this is a gem.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF folks, please add your titles and post-specific links (and any other info you feel like filling out 🙂 ) to the form below so we can all come see what fabulous picture books you’ve chosen to share this week!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!! 🙂

14 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Tony

1. Patricia Tilton says:

I had a feeling the storm knocked out your electricity. Some of it even came through SW Ohio. Couldn’t believe I was seeing snow flakes and sleet. But, it will be in the 70s this weekend. Crazy weather! Glad you got you electricity back.

Love that cover on the book! Such an endearing story. I remember milkmen leaving bottles of milk outside our door, but they drove trucks. But, I do remember chasing after an ice truck when I was about 3 yrs old. Think my grandmother had an “ice box” (refrigerator) and a wringer washing apparatus. So, in a way this brings back memories of the end of an era for me. I’d love this book!

2. Joanna says:

Poor pups, storms can be so scary.

Our milkman drove an electric cart and when I was in Germany we collected milk in urns from the farm. This looks gorgeous… evocative….peaceful.

3. Carol Lescinski says:

I also remember the milkman coming to the house in a truck. I only remember that happening till I was probably in 2nd grade! In first grade we still had milk in the glass bottles that came in crates……I feel old!! Sounds like a great book!

4. viviankirkfield says:

I can remember the milkman delivering a crate with bottles of milk to my grandmother’s house. He had a truck..and I’d slip out and grab one of the bottles and scrap the cream off the cardboard lid…pasteurized and homoginized…I don’t think so. 😉 I’m sure my entire family wondered why the milk tasted so thin and watery. 😉 My momhad told me that the ice man had come years before with a horse and wagon…delivering ice because most people didn’t have a fridge.

I love this story, Susanna…it’s good to see we can get a book published that is about the olden days with a sweet friendship theme. I’ve got several stories my grandmother told me…maybe it is time to see if they can become a picture book. 😉

5. Diane Tulloch says:

Great idea Vivian. Oh gosh does this make us feel old. I remember the milk in bottles delivered by truck and van. And we used to own a wringer washing machine when we were first married for some years before we were able to afford a press button job. This book looks lovely and gentle and I love anything horses so you have me at the cover.
    Glad you survived the storm there. (wondered why PPBF wasn’t up before I went to bed) It certainly is crazy weather time. We have some areas here suffering from horrific floods. Autumn is looming.

6. Sue Heavenrich says:

This looks like a neat story – Tony. I remember our milkman, but he drove a funny little truck.
    Glad you got your internet back.

7. Barbara says:

This sounds like a lovely book. I’m always on the look-out for books that highlight people/animal friendships.

It’s stormy where I live, too (Pacific Northwest in Canada). Several of our ferry sailings were cancelled because of high winds. My dog loves it though. He was dancing through our morning walk 🙂

8. Rene` Diane Aube says:

Poor Jem ~ what a shock to get thunder storms in April! :O I’m glad you
    weathered the storm fairly well, otherwise.

I’ve GOT to find this story! I’m partial to horses, especially ones named Tony.

Are you ready for this? We STILL get glass – bottled milk delivered in a rambly old truck every week. Though it is wonderful compared to store bought, it does not have the cream
    on top to the degree Vivian speaks of. Looking forward to seeing your stories in print,
    Vivian 🙂

9. ptnozell says:

We had the storms, too, Susanna, but kept the internet. So crazy – rain, wind, hail, and booming thunder. Takes April showers to a whole new level!

Tony looks amazing – a true glimpse into the past. So happy to see that books like these are being published.

I’ll add myself to the list of those remembering milk & ice deliveries, the latter just a vague memory of hot summer days at my grandmother’s house. When my own kids were young, we had milk & cream deliveries in glass bottles in England, where it’s still fairly common I believe.

The title of the book first made me stop and pause. Tony is my brother’s name. As I read the post, I rather enjoyed the simply beauty displayed in the description and the sample illustration you shared.

11. Jilanne Hoffmann says:

Wow! Sounds bad! We’ve had some huge rain storms again, lots of snow in the mountains, but nothing that knocked us off the grid. Hugs to your puppy. They are so miserable when they’re scared.

I love the sound of this story. Makes me nostalgic for my horses, the ones on the farm that I talked to when no one else would listen. I’ve got to find this book. Thank you!