Would You Read It Wednesday #74 – Slurp, Slurp, Slurp (PB)

Woo-hoo!  It’s Wednesday!  Which means it’s only 2 days until February!  Which means it’s only 3 days until GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!

Sorry for the shouting, but Phyllis and I are just so darn excited! 🙂

Are you ready for Phyllis’s Fun Photo Contest?  (If you need details and the downloadable Phyllis action figure check HERE.)

If you know any good groundhog/Groundhog Day riddles please post them on Phyllis’s FB page.  Cathy and Beth have already put up some good ones!

Also, it’s only 2 days until the official start of my course.  I’m very excited (and a little nervous!) about that!

So.  Who’s in the mood for Something Chocolate?  Let me take a peek in my pantry and see what I have today….  Oooh!  Yummmm!

credit

We could probably use a glass of milk to go with that…

chocolate… of course 🙂

Today’s pitch comes to us from Elaine.  Elaine is an elementary school teacher by day, a mother of two (and two furry children) by night and a picture book author every minute in between.

Working Title: Slurp, Slurp, Slurp
The Pitch: When Becca receives a gecko for her birthday, mayhem ensues when the crickets that were bought to feed it, spill to the floor.

If your answer is YES, please feel free to tell us what you particularly liked and why the pitch piqued your interest.  If your answer is MAYBE or NO, please feel free to tell us what you think could be better in the spirit of helping Elaine improve her pitch.  Helpful examples of possible alternate wordings are welcome.  (However, I must ask that comments be constructive and respectful.  I reserve the right not to publish comments that are mean because that is not what this is about.)
Please send YOUR pitches for the coming weeks!  For rules and where to submit, click on this link Would You Read It or on the Would You Read It tab in the bar above.  There are openings in March, so we could really use some new pitches!  It’s your chance to be read by editor Erin Molta!

Elaine is looking forward to your thoughts on her pitch!  I am looking forward to starting my course… and Groundhog Day!!!

Have a great day, everyone! 🙂

Oh!  P.S.  I forgot to say, for anyone who was interested from Monday’s Short & Sweet, that the books I took the beginnings from were 1. Harry And Horsie  2. Boris And The Snoozebox  3.  McDuff Moves In  4. Tops And Bottoms  5. Imogene’s Antlers  6. The Carpenter’s Gift  7. Mr. Duck Means Business  8. Crafty Chloe  9. Hedgehog Goes To Kindergarten  10. Jeremy Draws A Monster

55 thoughts on “Would You Read It Wednesday #74 – Slurp, Slurp, Slurp (PB)

LOL for today's WYRI! I'm not the worlds biggest fan of bugs and creepy crawlies, but the chaos that would and could ensue from those crickets falling to the floor just got my imagination racing. So yes, I would read it 🙂

2. Pam says:

It's short and sweet. I can picture fun images and an enjoyable read. It's good as is, but I wonder if there's a way to insert a sense of some more of the humor into the pitch. Can you give us a teaser as to what some of the mayhem is?

3. Wendy Greenley says:

I'm a maybe. I am a total softie about animals (even crickets!) and I don't want to see the crickets get hurt, and by mayhem I don't know if there are any squishes that would make my flesh crawl. But that's just me being me.

4. delores @ thefeatherednest says:

Well I'm not a fan of nature shows and critters eating other critters but I know my grandson would like it so….yes.

5. Sue Heavenrich says:

I love geckos and I love bugs – and having homeschooled boys and had any number of interesting pets share the kitchen counter I can see this as a picture book. But I think the pitch needs to start with the first problem. Crickets spilling on the floor? what happens? do they hop into the cupboards and under the stove? do they hop under mom's bed? So I guess I'm a “maybe” …

6. Elaine says:

Hi Sue! Thanks for your comments. This is a cumulative picture book, so each action builds on the next as they run around the house! I will certainly add that in to my pitch now! Thanks!

7. Elaine says:

Hi Pam!
    The crickets are chased by the cat, who is chased by the dog, who is chased by the girl. It's in the same vein as the NAPPIING HOUSE or THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT. Fun and quirky.

8. Maria says:

I'm a “maybe”. There's something to be said for short and sweet, but this may be a little *too* short. My guess is your book contains some hilarious mayhem, so maybe work that humor into the pitch? How, for example, does the title connect to the story? We love books about chaos in our house, so the idea appeals 🙂

Thanks for the yummies, Susanna! Looking forward to PPBF and then Groundhog Day and all of your Phyllis festivities! And good luck with the first day of your course.:)

Elaine…I would definitely read your book…what a unique story idea.:) I agree with many of the other comments…a little more about the specific chaos would be great…so maybe two sentences instead of one…and perhaps don't use the word 'when' twice in one sentence.:)

10. Elaine says:

Thank you, Vivian! I hadn't even noticed that I had used “when” twice! I will certainly add more of the chaos in the pitch. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

11. Genevieve says:

I was about to say no – not enough content to sink my teeth into. I'm glad I read the comments. The whole cumulative aspect is critical. The pitch needs that! Now I am a resounding YES!

12. Elaine says:

Thanks Genevieve! You've made me realize that adding the cumulative aspect is critical to the pitch. Thank you so much for taking the time to read the comments!

13. Patricia Nozell says:

Happy to learn that Phyllis has a new FB page in time for the BIG DAY. The Two Orange Pups & I just printed off her image – hope our paws can do her justice!

Re Elaine's pitch, YES, I would read it. The image of crickets all over the place made me laugh out loud!

14. Susan Cabael says:

YES! The idea of escapee crickets instantly filled my mind with wild images…fun! I'd like to read one or two more sentences with details from the book to give me a better sense of what turns the action may take.

15. Teresa Robeson says:

I would totally read this because my family are nature freaks and we love geckos and crickets! (My older son was educating me on the differences between the crickets that come into our basement…LOL!). Sounds great, Elaine!