Perfect Picture Book Friday – Lost Cat

Woo hoo!  It’s Perfect Picture Book Friday!

So, last Friday I got a text from my sister-in-law who was helping a friend find a home for a cat.  Long story short, the cat has found a home (not on Blueberry Hill – in Manhattan 🙂 ) All good, but as a result I have cats on my mind, and that reminded me of this book that I absolutely love.

Title: Lost Cat

Written & Illustrated By: C. Roger Mader

Houghton Mifflin Books For Children, October 2013, Fiction

Suitable For Ages: 4-8

Themes/Topics: journey, pets, love (person/pet)

Opening: “Ever since Slipper was a tiny kitten, she’d lived with a little old lady in a little old house in a little old town.”

Brief Synopsis: Slipper has always lived happily with Mrs. Fluffy Slippers, but when Mrs. Fluffy Slippers moves, Slipper accidentally gets left behind in the commotion.  Slippers searches for a new home, but not just any home will do – it has to be the right one.  Will she find a new family she can adopt?

Links To Resources: Washington Children’s Choice Award Activities (scroll about 1/2 way down the pdf); Fun Facts About Cats; How To Draw A Cat video; learn to draw a cat step-by-step guide.

(Sorry – I can’t make that picture turn the right way around so you’ll have to tilt your head! 🙂 )

Why I Like This Book: First and foremost, I love the art!  Soft pastels that render that beautiful kitty so life-like!  Her expressions are perfect, especially her fright at High Tops, her polite pleading with Miss Shiny Shoes, and her bliss on the last two pages.  And the cat’s-eye-view perspective is wonderful.  The story is a sweet one with both humorous and poignant moments.  I love that all the people in the story are named for their footwear – which is what Slippers sees of them first 🙂  And most of all, I love that this lost cat story has a happy ending 🙂

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do 🙂

For the complete list of books with resources, please visit Perfect Picture Books.

PPBF folks, please add your titles and post-specific links (and any other info you feel like filling out 🙂 ) to the form below so we can all come see what fabulous picture books you’ve chosen to share this week!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!! 🙂

Maybe there’s a cat out there waiting to be adopted by YOU! 🙂

11 thoughts on “Perfect Picture Book Friday – Lost Cat

1. Sarah Tobias says:

This looks like a beautiful book. Thank you for telling me it has a happy ending. I look forward to reading it.

It makes me want to go pet the cats at our local shelter. I would not torture them with life at our house with our dog who hasn’t learned the art of gentle play.

2. viviankirkfield says:

I just love when Friday comes around…thank you for being there for us, Susanna, with your contests and challenges, with your support and encouragement, and with Perfect Picture Book Friday!

3. Jilanne Hoffmann says:

Those kitty EYES!! Miss Fluffy Slippers! A lost kitty! Those fabulous illustrations!! Where has this book been all my life? I’ve got to show this to my son. He LOVES cats, too. Thanks for featuring this adorable book, Susanna!

4. Sue Heavenrich says:

A lost kitty book! Definitely have to look for it – I thought I’d found them all! And the illustrations look so cozy.

5. Genevieve Petrillo says:

Oh, Slippers! I also love footwear (except for my dog boots!). I always check out sneakers, flip-flops, flats, and crocs before I decide whether to give the human any more attention. I do hope your fluffy slipper person found you at the end of your story…

Love and licks,
    Cupcake

6. jeanjames926 says:

We adopted our feral cat a few years back, and I’m sure he was happy to be out of the snowy woods. I love how the characters are named by their shoes. I wonder what my cat would call me? I change my shoes quite often. Looks like a great book to add to the list!

7. Angie says:

I LOVE cats, so I really want to read this book! Taking a heart-breaking situation (we once had a cat we lost when we went camping…I’m still traumatized!) and turning it into a great solution. Perfect! Congratulations!